The Student Room Group

£4k fully comp on a bmw 116d sport @ 21?

Hi everyone, does this price sound reasonable?

First time driver here (although I have had a full motorcycle license for 4 years prior to this, the no claims don't transfer over)

With blackbox its around 2.5k but I rather just pay the extra 1.5k and not stress about black box.

Anyone else in a similar situation? I would really like to decrease my premiums

Scroll to see replies

Same situation, I'm currently on a 3.5k box policy (with a week left on my cool-off) and found a policy that's 2.5k to swap to but is also boxed. Else I'm looking at around the same as you.

I always account for the 20% potential increase (which whilst especially to me, it's unlikely to happen, I'm still the same driver I was when I took lessons; which is ironically more dangerous than being a "regular" driver in some situations), but then I also think about the potential 20% decrease (which no-one ever gets). My situation is also a little different, I make payments on my car - if I didn't the choice would be too obvious, the extra £1k is affordable - screw the box.

If you're making payments on the car the best thing to do is to make a spreadsheet and do a 6 month outlook of outgoings. If you think it looks comfortable after the first 3 months (which are the hardest due to the downpayment on premium) - then you know where you start. If not; in your position; I'd probably just pay the extra, go without the box and actually enjoy my life of not having to flick my eyes at the speedo every 10 seconds.

For the record my car is a 1l lol, I'm extremely jealous your premium must be peanuts in a smaller sized car.
Reply 2
Who buys BMW to have it with a 1.6L engine ...... it's more ridiculous they offer something like this. What a disgrace to the brand.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NX172
Who buys BMW to have it with a 1.6L engine ...... it's more ridiculous they offer something like this. What a disgrace to the brand.

Believe it or not, some people would prefer to have a BMW with the performance of a 2l engine; but with less of the running costs associated with it. I know money usually isn't an issue to BMW owners; but I'm sure it's nice to have an economic option.
Reply 4
Original post by NX172

The 116d sport is 2L engine
Reply 5
Original post by nevershear
Believe it or not, some people would prefer to have a BMW with the performance of a 2l engine; but with less of the running costs associated with it. I know money usually isn't an issue to BMW owners; but I'm sure it's nice to have an economic option.

Also I've found a way to lower my insurance costs.

Basically my full motorcycle licence classifies as "FULL UK LICENCE" which i've held for 2 years already. (Clarified with the quotation team)
I cannot transfer my motorcycle no-claims though
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sgforums

Basically my full motorcycle licence classifies as "FULL UK LICENCE" which i've held for 2 years already. (Clarified with the quotation team)

Why'd you quote me?
Original post by NX172

Tell that to i8 owners lol. Over £100k for a 1.5...

Unless this car is 2015 or later (which I highly doubt), the 116d is a 2-litre. BMW's numbering does not directly correspond to displacement - in 2000, a 320i had a 2.2-litre engine, but now a brand-new 330i is a 2-litre.
Reply 8
Original post by TheMindGarage
Tell that to i8 owners lol. Over £100k for a 1.5...

Unless this car is 2015 or later (which I highly doubt), the 116d is a 2-litre. BMW's numbering does not directly correspond to displacement - in 2000, a 320i had a 2.2-litre engine, but now a brand-new 330i is a 2-litre.

Not like the displacement really matters, at the end of the day it's barely the BMW experience or power you'd expect. Especially if it takes over 10s to 60 in a hatchback.

It's a shame they didn't do more to improve the i8 with the roadster when they had the chance. In a world where rivals of its price tag put down twice the power the i8 seems poor value. Heck, the m135i is faster round the ring than an i8, so it's not just the straight line acceleration that sucks. Besides performance it's pretty inferior to its rivals in most aspects and I think the depreciation has certainly reflected that.
Original post by NX172
Not like the displacement really matters, at the end of the day it's barely the BMW experience or power you'd expect. Especially if it takes over 10s to 60 in a hatchback.

It's a shame they didn't do more to improve the i8 with the roadster when they had the chance. In a world where rivals of its price tag put down twice the power the i8 seems poor value. Heck, the m135i is faster round the ring than an i8, so it's not just the straight line acceleration that sucks. Besides performance it's pretty inferior to its rivals in most aspects and I think the depreciation has certainly reflected that.

True. But some people just want a BMW for the badge or luxury. I don't think that's a good reason, but that's how non-petrolheads buy their cars.

Agreed about the i8. It's a shame. I'd love to see an i8M with a straight-six and a beefed up hybrid system to compete with the new NSX. Right now it's by far the slowest car at a very crowded price point - it has to compete with the R8, the 911 GT3, the 911 Turbo, the 570S and the NSX, which it simply can't do with 350 horses, a highly unrealistic official MPG figure and a Mini engne.
Reply 10
Original post by sgforums

Be very very careful how you proceed, and scrutinise the policy terms and conditions VERY carefully; don't blindly accept the word of the people on the end of the phone.

I've often seen a clause which further expands on the "how long have you held the licence" question and makes it clear that it refers to how long you've held the entitlement on your licence for that particular class of vehicle. Call centre staff aren't all that clued up in the intricacies of the conditions.
Original post by NX172

The capacity of the engine literally makes jack **** difference, its actually stupid. I know people with 1.6L doing 11 seconds on a 1/4 mile and a 1.8L doing 9 seconds. I think its completely stupid that insurance companies base a large portion of their prices according to engine capacity.
Reply 12
Original post by Daniel00
The capacity of the engine literally makes jack **** difference, its actually stupid. I know people with 1.6L doing 11 seconds on a 1/4 mile and a 1.8L doing 9 seconds. I think its completely stupid that insurance companies base a large portion of their prices according to engine capacity.

They don't just use engine capacity, they use insurance groupings more than anything to judge performance.
I have a 1.6 astra and my insurance was 1700 fully comp. I live in South London aswell where my premium is very high aswell.
Original post by IWMTom
They don't just use engine capacity, they use insurance groupings more than anything to judge performance.

^What he said.

It's this somewhat common misconception that you could generally outsmart the system by getting a powerful 1l car instead of an old 1.4 or a 1.6 and pay far less, when really it won't be much different.

Original post by AHappyHippo
I have a 1.6 astra and my insurance was 1700 fully comp. I live in South London aswell where my premium is very high aswell.

This is not high for London :biggrin:
^What he said.

It's this somewhat common misconception that you could generally outsmart the system by getting a powerful 1l car instead of an old 1.4 or a 1.6 and pay far less, when really it won't be much different.

This is not high for London :biggrin:

I know lol im gassed, this is my first year of driving aswell
Original post by AHappyHippo
I know lol im gassed, this is my first year of driving aswell

Gassed?

Man sometimes I really do question whether I was really born in this country.
Man sometimes I really do question whether I was really born in this country.

Means like happy and excited. My part of england its a common word

Quick Reply

Latest