The Student Room Group

What are you hoping to get out of uni in 2018?

Making the most of university in 2018

The year is wrapping up, and we're on a rapid approach to the end of 2017; what better time to look to the new year, and think about what we want to accomplish? Whilst many of us will be thinking about New Year's resolutions, and all sorts of plans for next year, we often overlook university or work, and what we'd like to complete there.

Despite this, university is one of the biggest things we'll each be part of during the year, and something a lot of out time and effort will go into. Making the most of university is really important, but there's no single way to go about doing it, and each of us will have our own way of doing it! Having an idea of what you want to get out of the experience is important though, as is having an idea of how you're going to get there.

On that note, here on TSR, we want to know what you're hoping to get out of university in 2018, and what you're hoping to achieve! So, what are your goals for the coming year? And do you have a plan for how you'd like to fulfil them?

Want to get involved? Simply reply with your answers to the questions below, or reply to someone who has already posted, and join in the conversation :biggrin:

What are you studying?
What year are you in?
What are your goal for next year?
How are you going to achieve your goal?
(edited 6 years ago)
What are you studying?
Law
What year are you in?
First year
Well.. January exams and the coursework due are at the forefront of my mind at present. Also looking to apply for insight days and first year vac schemes.
By sacrificing my Christmas break 😂
Reply 2
What are you studying? Philosophy
What year are you in? Final year PhD
What are your goal for next year? Submit thesis, defend at viva.
How are you going to achieve your goal? By posting on TSR.
Original post by gjd800
What are you studying? Philosophy
What year are you in? Final year PhD
What are your goal for next year? Submit thesis, defend at viva.
How are you going to achieve your goal? By posting on TSR.

What is the topic of your PhD? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Spider&TheFly
What is the topic of your PhD? :smile:

Why Indian Madhyamaka (or any early Buddhism) should not endorse an absolute of an identical or similar sort to the Advaitin Ātman-Brahman.

Basically, anyway. It's a response to a recent-ish translation of a book that claims that Indian Buddhism is identical to Advaita. Involves a lot of Sanskrit and an increasing amount of logic.
What are you studying?
Psychology
What year are you in?
3rd year
What are your goals for next year?
I have a few, but one thing I would like to try and do is gain funding for my Master's and PhD (which is highly competitive).
See my current project supervisor to discuss grant proposal ideas, continue with my good academic performance and (hopefully) ace my final year dissertation!
Original post by gjd800
Why Indian Madhyamaka (or any early Buddhism) should not endorse an absolute of an identical or similar sort to the Advaitin Ātman-Brahman.

Basically, anyway. It's a response to a recent-ish translation of a book that claims that Indian Buddhism is identical to Advaita. Involves a lot of Sanskrit and an increasing amount of logic.

Thank you, I can't claim that I understand but it sounds very interesting!!
Reply 7
Original post by Spider&TheFly
Thank you, I can't claim that I understand but it sounds very interesting!!

Not as weird as it sounds, but it's hard to put it across in a concise way on a webpage haha.
What are you studying?
Education and History
What year are you in?
Baby Year First Year
Submitting deadlines on time, being a bit less lazy.
Hopefully my blog will help.:biggrin:
Original post by Claros
What are you studying?
Psychology
What year are you in?
3rd year
What are your goals for next year?
I have a few, but one thing I would like to try and do is gain funding for my Master's and PhD (which is highly competitive).
See my current project supervisor to discuss grant proposal ideas, continue with my good academic performance and (hopefully) ace my final year dissertation!

Very exciting! What's your dissertation on, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
What are you studying?
Business Management
What year are you in?
First
A social life and better results
Time management, willpower and dedication
Original post by shadowdweller
Very exciting! What's your dissertation on, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

It's on the effect of the size-weight illusion on reaching perception. Basically, whether the illusion of heavier weight is enough to significantly impact people's action perception, which adds onto research looking into how our physiology impacts perception.
Original post by Claros
It's on the effect of the size-weight illusion on reaching perception. Basically, whether the illusion of heavier weight is enough to significantly impact people's action perception, which adds onto research looking into how our physiology impacts perception.

That actually sounds really interesting! I hope it's going well for you :gah:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending