The Student Room Group

Transferring to a different uni for second year?

Hi,

So I study in Sheffield, but my boyfriend (who has graduated from university) works full time in Kingston in London. We aim to see each other for a few days every 2/3 weeks, and take it in turns to come and see one another. I am quite lucky with my course at Sheffield as I get Fridays off uni quite a lot of the time, so it works out well when we see each other at weekends, but he doesn’t get many days off a year so it’s limited when we can see each other. However, I am worried as I don’t know if I would like to continue to do what we are doing, travelling a long way to only get to see each other every 2/3 weeks I haven’t settled amazingly at Sheffield, but this combined with the distance is making me wonder if I should transfer to Kingston university for my second year. Has anyone had experience of transferring universities or long distance relationships that could give me some advice please?

Thank you
Original post by princxss-diaries
Hi,

So I study in Sheffield, but my boyfriend (who has graduated from university) works full time in Kingston in London. We aim to see each other for a few days every 2/3 weeks, and take it in turns to come and see one another. I am quite lucky with my course at Sheffield as I get Fridays off uni quite a lot of the time, so it works out well when we see each other at weekends, but he doesn’t get many days off a year so it’s limited when we can see each other. However, I am worried as I don’t know if I would like to continue to do what we are doing, travelling a long way to only get to see each other every 2/3 weeks I haven’t settled amazingly at Sheffield, but this combined with the distance is making me wonder if I should transfer to Kingston university for my second year. Has anyone had experience of transferring universities or long distance relationships that could give me some advice please?

Thank you

Rather than focusing on transferring uni's, why don't look at the bigger picture, what are the pros and cons in your case?

It's quite a big step to transfer uni's purely for the sake of seeing your boyfriend.

In my books, education is priority and I'd take Sheffield over Kingston university any day. He's already graduated so it's not really his concern, it's just as long as he sees you.

Even if you did transfer, how often would you see your boyfriend since "he doesn't get many days off a year"?

In the politest way possible and please don't take any offence but there's no guarantee your relationship will last anyway.

There's also no guarantee you will settle in "amazingly" at Kingston, what if it turns out worse than Sheffield? Also what if he changes jobs to another part of London?

You're still young, (if I'm not mistaken you're a first year student). Focus on your academics because they'll pay off in the long run.

Although I completely respect your dedication in this relationship, at the end of the day it's your life not his so you don't need to go through so much hassle just to adjust your life to be with him.

Just to clarify, I don't know your boyfriend personally as much as you do, I apologise if I've made any wrong accusations.

I'm sorry if I've been biased but as I said, I just don't think relationships last and education is priority.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest