The Student Room Group

Reapply to Oxford while at studying at another uni

I have seen related threads about reapplying to Cambridge while studying at another uni. Cambridge discourages people studying in another uk uni to reapply to Cambridge as they do not like 'stealing' students. But does the same applies to Oxford (as I've not seen anything such on their website...)?

I plan to firm my choice for durham law, but then I really hope to reapply to Oxford again (as I'm rejected pre-interview, though no official feedback is out yet, I assume is probably because of my LNAT). Is that worth it?
Oxford doesn't care. I am currently waiting for a rejection/offer from Oxford and I am currently studying at an Australian university. However, I am not a reapplying; this is my first time applying to Oxbridge. I have met others at my interviews who are reapplying and are studying at a U.K university. At the interviews I was asked why I wanted to switch to Oxford.
(edited 6 years ago)
But why?
What are some good reasons for leaving one good uni to attempt to get into another? This is the sort of question you will have to explain if you were to re-apply.
Does Oxford offer something Durham doesn't to you. Sure there is the prestige of being 'at Oxbridge' but when it comes down it your going to be studying law and should just get on with the job at hand and get your degree.
You will in affect be wasting a year of education as Oxford wont let you continue, you will have to start from scratch.

If you do reapply , do you believe you will do better in the LNAT?
(edited 6 years ago)
Oxford, unlike Cambridge, has no scruples about recruiting their compatriots best students, in theory. In practice I'm not aware of them taking on such domestic students with any regularity, although there doesn't seem to be a wealth of data on the topic. They may well ask you about your reasons, and want a better reason than "it's 'better' than where I'm at currently and I failed to get an interview last year" which is sure to be unimpressive. Otherwise you will still be in competition with the same calibre of students that you failed to outperform already, and there have been some indications that some colleges expect you to exceed the minimum requirements as a post-exam applicant, for some courses. These claims are of dubious veracity though and seem to be contradicted just as often as they're made, but it's something to bear in mind.

I would suggest taking a gap year rather than starting at university elsewhere if you absolutely cannot stand the idea of studying anywhere but Oxford. You could take the opportunity to pursue some relevant activities and work experience, and/or just earn some money so you have some personal finance buffer once you start. SFE funding is strictly limited in how many years of funding you'll get and you may end up having to self fund a year in the worst case scenario - if you have 9k sitting around then by all means do so though...

Even if you are specifically aiming to be a barrister (which you may well change as your intended plan once you actually have mooting experience) Durham is probably the best non-Oxbridge university to pursue this angle from. In terms of becoming a Solicitor it's frankly not going to be any different in reality - the combined Oxbridge and Durham graduates who get a 2:1 or above are all realistically going to get a decent TC somewhere they want to be. Additionally Durham has the same format as Oxbridge of colleges and they have a similar tutorial system, so unlike some other examples where you could argue you're missing the "style" of Oxbridge, this really doesn't apply for Durham. Besides, if you want the Oxon tag you can always do the BCL as a postgrad, which would be desirable for a prospective barrister and probably combined with the LLB from Durham be perfectly suitable for pursuing this career.
(edited 6 years ago)
You're at Durham, which is an excellent Uni. Many people just hope of getting into Durham. If I were you, I'd work on getting a First at Durham than go to Oxford and end up getting a 2:1 or a 2:2

Spoiler

Original post by artful_lounger
Oxford, unlike Cambridge, has no scruples about recruiting their compatriots best students, in theory. In practice I'm not aware of them taking on such domestic students with any regularity, although there doesn't seem to be a wealth of data on the topic. They may well ask you about your reasons, and want a better reason than "it's 'better' than where I'm at currently and I failed to get an interview last year" which is sure to be unimpressive. Otherwise you will still be in competition with the same calibre of students that you failed to outperform already, and there have been some indications that some colleges expect you to exceed the minimum requirements as a post-exam applicant, for some courses. These claims are of dubious veracity though and seem to be contradicted just as often as they're made, but it's something to bear in mind.

I would suggest taking a gap year rather than starting at university elsewhere if you absolutely cannot stand the idea of studying anywhere but Oxford. You could take the opportunity to pursue some relevant activities and work experience, and/or just earn some money so you have some personal finance buffer once you start. SFE funding is strictly limited in how many years of funding you'll get and you may end up having to self fund a year in the worst case scenario - if you have 9k sitting around then by all means do so though...

Even if you are specifically aiming to be a barrister (which you may well change as your intended plan once you actually have mooting experience) Durham is probably the best non-Oxbridge university to pursue this angle from. In terms of becoming a Solicitor it's frankly not going to be any different in reality - the combined Oxbridge and Durham graduates who get a 2:1 or above are all realistically going to get a decent TC somewhere they want to be. Additionally Durham has the same format as Oxbridge of colleges and they have a similar tutorial system, so unlike some other examples where you could argue you're missing the "style" of Oxbridge, this really doesn't apply for Durham. Besides, if you want the Oxon tag you can always do the BCL as a postgrad, which would be desirable for a prospective barrister and probably combined with the LLB from Durham be perfectly suitable for pursuing this career.

Thanks for your advice. One thing I haven't made clear is that I'm actually an international student from Hong Kong so the uk loan system for university students doesn't work for me. But you're right. The cost is something I have to consider as well. Studying in Durham, and then starting year 1 again in Oxford (if I managed to get in lol) is definitely a heavy cost for me. Therefore, another route I have in mind is to study in a local uni in HK first (in HK, uni tuition fees are heavily subsidized by the government so the cost is much much lower than that of uk unis) and then reapply through UCAS. HK's education system is different from that to UK in the sense that we only study 6 years of college and 4 years of uni. In other words, the first year of HK uni is actually the last year of high school in uk.

As for Durham law, do you mind giving some further advice on this? I plan to return to HK for work in the future (well but I might as well stay in UK for a few years to gain some work experience after obtaining my LLB if I am to study Durham)I know Durham law has an excellent reputation in UK, and some even see it as one of the best unis after Oxbridge. However, Durham's international reputation is not as strong as other London unis such as LSE, UCL and KCL. I also have offers from UCL and KCL at this stage, but it's just that Durham gives me more of a sense like the place I'll be staying for the next three years. In this case, do you recommend Durham law or should I pick from London unis?
Honestly it sounds like you need to do some research on the courses and options available to you during your studies especially as you are intending to go back to HK at some point.

Worth talking to the Law faculties at your uni choices and seeing what they provide in terms of teaching, resources, alumni opportunities, MC firm connections (both in the UK and abroad) etc...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by chelgreen_29
Thanks for your advice. One thing I haven't made clear is that I'm actually an international student from Hong Kong so the uk loan system for university students doesn't work for me. But you're right. The cost is something I have to consider as well. Studying in Durham, and then starting year 1 again in Oxford (if I managed to get in lol) is definitely a heavy cost for me. Therefore, another route I have in mind is to study in a local uni in HK first (in HK, uni tuition fees are heavily subsidized by the government so the cost is much much lower than that of uk unis) and then reapply through UCAS. HK's education system is different from that to UK in the sense that we only study 6 years of college and 4 years of uni. In other words, the first year of HK uni is actually the last year of high school in uk.

As for Durham law, do you mind giving some further advice on this? I plan to return to HK for work in the future (well but I might as well stay in UK for a few years to gain some work experience after obtaining my LLB if I am to study Durham)I know Durham law has an excellent reputation in UK, and some even see it as one of the best unis after Oxbridge. However, Durham's international reputation is not as strong as other London unis such as LSE, UCL and KCL. I also have offers from UCL and KCL at this stage, but it's just that Durham gives me more of a sense like the place I'll be staying for the next three years. In this case, do you recommend Durham law or should I pick from London unis?

Original post by uniqsummer
Honestly it sounds like you need to do some research on the courses and options available to you during your studies especially as you are intending to go back to HK at some point.

Worth talking to the Law faculties at your uni choices and seeing what they provide in terms of teaching, resources, alumni opportunities, MC firm connections (both in the UK and abroad) etc...

as above, it's also worth noting Law is jurisdictional - will a UK degree allow you to practice law in HK? There are a few joint courses (I believe UCL has an HK/UK Law course) but if your plan is to return and work as a lawyer it would make sense to get your law degree in the country you plan to practice in.
Original post by artful_lounger
as above, it's also worth noting Law is jurisdictional - will a UK degree allow you to practice law in HK? There are a few joint courses (I believe UCL has an HK/UK Law course) but if your plan is to return and work as a lawyer it would make sense to get your law degree in the country you plan to practice in.

I graduated from Oxford and am currently a Hong Kong trainee solicitor. It's completely doable (and actually very common) for UK law grads to work in HK.

Original post by chelgreen_29

My gut feel (i.e. I might be wrong) is that in HK, the London unis are seen as more prestigious than Durham. Anecdotally, the UK educated trainees at my firm (UK MC) have tended to hail from Oxbridge and the London unis (UCL/KCL/LSE). I can't comment for other firms, but LinkedIn might be helpful in giving you an idea of where people end up.

In particular, if you want to work at the top barrister sets (e.g. Temple, Des Voeux), I would strongly suggest London unis over Durham (followed by the Oxford BCL).

Personally, I would seriously consider doing Law at one of the HK unis if you want to reapply - one year in the UK is insanely expensive.
(edited 6 years ago)
Could I please know how you answered the question about why you wanted to switch to Oxford ?
Original post by username3570632
Oxford doesn't care. I am currently waiting for a rejection/offer from Oxford and I am currently studying at an Australian university. However, I am not a reapplying; this is my first time applying to Oxbridge. I have met others at my interviews who are reapplying and are studying at a U.K university. At the interviews I was asked why I wanted to switch to Oxford.

Hi, could I please know how you responded to the question about why you wanted to switch to Oxford?
Reply 11
Original post by username3570632

H username 3570632 may I ask how did you answer the question "why you wanted to switch to Oxford" and what explanation you offer in the personal statement regarding transfering to Oxford ? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest