The Student Room Group

AS FM Matrices: can someone check this please?

New textbooks mean mistakes but I incorrectly identified a mistake earlier so can someone please double check this one for me?

The answer given is tan1(3)\tan^{-1}(3) or tan1(13)\tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{3}). *

Using a geometric approach I agree with tan1(3)\tan^{-1}(3) but I don't think tan1(13)\tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{3}) is possible. There's a good chance that I'm being stupid so can someone please check? I'd be happy to post my working if someone agrees with the answers.

* ±π\pm \pi was missed in the answers which is annoying.
Reply 1
Wow i thought someone would have answered by now. I'm just trying it now. But you know more maths than me.
Reply 2
Would tan^-1(1/3) give you the line y=x? That's the only explanation I can think of.
Reply 3
Just did the mathsy stuff. It makes a line of invariant points so you're wrong I'm afraid... :frown:
I can show my work if you want me to.
It was just working out the angle in the answer and then working out the angle that turns y=2x to y=x It's about 18.4(+ or - n180 where n is an integer) degrees same as the answer.
Reply 4
Original post by Amullai

It was just working out the angle in the answer and then working out the angle that turns y=2x to y=x It's about 18.4(+ or - n180 where n is an integer) degrees same as the answer.

I agree with this but S is a clockwise rotation matrix so this is wrong I think? tan(13)-\tan (\frac{1}{3}) would make sense to me. I can't post full explanation right now but I can later.
notnek
I believe the correct answers are:

tan1(3)\tan^{-1}(3) maps the line y=x to the line x=-2y, which is perpendicular to the reflection line y = 2x. This line is invariant and points on it are reflected (multiplied by -1).

tan1(13)-\tan^{-1} \left(\frac{1}{3}\right) maps the line y=x to the line y=2x which is the reflection line. This line is invariant and points on it are not changed at all.

(This is with clockwise rotations).
Reply 6
Yeah I think it is -tan. I was transforming from y=2x to y=x
Reply 7
Original post by Amullai
Yeah I think it is -tan. I was transforming from y=2x to y=x

Original post by DFranklin
I believe the correct answers are:

Thanks! These were the answers that I got. I'm going to go with this and add the question to my list of textbook mistakes :smile:
Original post by Notnek
Thanks! These were the answers that I got. I'm going to go with this and add the question to my list of textbook mistakes :smile:
Is it close to becoming a textbook of textbook mistakes...?
Reply 9
Original post by DFranklin
Is it close to becoming a textbook of textbook mistakes...?

It's not far off. I'm hoping that someone else doesn't have to make a textbook showing the mistakes in my textbook of textbook mistakes.
Original post by Notnek
It's not far off. I'm hoping that someone else doesn't have to make a textbook showing the mistakes in my textbook of textbook mistakes.

textbookception

Quick Reply

Latest