U.S. Isolated at UNSC - U.S. Vetoes UNSCR on Jerusalem

Watch this thread
username2950448
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
As a further display of the U.S.'s isolation on the international stage, the U.S. vetoed a UNSC draft resolution that reaffirmed the international consensus on the status of Jerusalem.

The draft resolution implicitly criticised Trump's recent controversial declaration as Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, without specifically naming the United States as the target of the proposal.

(Original post by Draft Resolution)
[we express] deep regret at recent decisions concerning the status of Jerusalem... any decisions which purport to have altered the character, status or demographic composition of the Holy City of Jerusalem have no legal effect, are null and void and must be rescinded in compliance with relevant resolutions of the Security Council.
The other 14 members of the UNSC (including UK, Russia, China, France, Italy, Japan, Sweden and Ukraine) all voted in favour of the resolution.

Nikki Haley harshly criticised the US's traditional allies (such as the UK and France):
(Original post by Nikki Haley)
What we witnessed here in the UNSC today is an insult and will not be forgotten.
Nikki Haley is known to have received hundreds of thousands of dollars in political donations from the far-right pro-Israel hawk Sheldon Adelson.

There will now be a similar vote in the UNGA, which the U.S. cannot veto. This which would lack legally-binding status, but would reaffirm the international community's stance of the Jerusalem.

This follows a UNSCR that passed in December demanding that Israel halted their illegal settlement program, which Israel has not complied with.

Since 1970, the U.S. has used its veto more than China, France, Russia/USSR and the UK combined. In addition, more than half of all U.S. vetoes have been to protect Israel from accountability (see the graphic below).

SkyFire007
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
He simply stated something that past presidents have all said. Media going overhype yet again.
username2950448
Rep:
(Original post by SkyFire007)
He simply stated something that past presidents have all said. Media going overhype yet again.
No U.S. President formally recognised Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

I didn't mention the media; that is not what my thread is about, though I doubt you bothered to read the OP anyway.
SkyFire007
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
So, straight off the bat you assume I'm a "supporter". The tribalism... it hurts.

There's countless videos of Obama, Clinton and Bush all saying the same thing. Why is it different when the current presidents says it? Explain with logic please.
username2950448
Rep:
Show me the video of Obama saying he will move the US Embassy to Jerusalem. I'll wait.

[He once referred to Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, but that was in 2008 at AIPAC, and he quickly clarified/backtracked from that.]

Trump unilaterally reversed decades-long consistent US policy on Jerusalem, that is not up for dispute.

This thread is about the US's isolation from its traditional allies and at the international stage at large.
SkyFire007
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Why would I post a video of something that doesn't exist? The videos of the net, show he states it's the capital of Jerusalem. Just like your (probable) favourite dynasty Clinton and Bush

https://youtu.be/mm42_08Uv5g
username2950448
Rep:
he states it's the capital of Jerusalem.
Israel is the capital of Jerusalem? Thank you for your contribution.

Just like your (probable) favourite dynasty Clinton and Bush
"The tribalism... It hurts."

I think we are done here.
username2950448
Rep:
An overview of the 14-1 vote on the UNSCR condemning Trump's unilateral recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel:

For:

- U.K.
- France
- Russia
- China
- Japan
- Italy
- Egypt
- Uruguay
- Bolivia
- Sweden
- Ukraine
- Ethiopia
- Kazakhstan
- Senegal

Against:

- U.S.
Cho-clit addict
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
"The wealthy Jews control the world..in their hands lies the fate of governments and nations..When the wealthy jews play, the nations and the rulers dance" - Theodor Herzl
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Is the US not within its right to vote against a motion that is telling it what to do?

You'll also find that your infographic is wrong given that just shy of half of all vetoes were USSR/Russian Federation, the figures it uses appears to exclude the USSR vetos (there have been a total of 76 vetos by France, UK, China, and RF but the most recent Russian veto was only a month ago).

Oh, I see, no, it cuts off the first quarter of a century of the UNSC, probably because that covers the period of prolific vetoing from the USSR.

I would suggest you try reading a few of those 42 vetoed items though and look at where they come from, lots of them are more or less the same document coming from states who do not even believe Israel should exist demanding Israel stops acting to defend their citizens from terrorist attacks.
username2950448
Rep:
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Is the US not within its right to vote against a motion that is telling it what to do?
In the same way that Russia can veto UNSCRs criticising its illegal actions or the illegal actions of its allies, sure.

You'll also find that your infographic is wrong ...

Oh, I see

I would suggest you try reading a few of those 42 vetoed items though and look at where they come from, lots of them are more or less the same document coming from states who do not even believe Israel should exist demanding Israel stops acting to defend their citizens from terrorist attacks.
You appear to be confused. Which of the 14 (4 permanent and 10 non-permanent) UNSC members that voted in favour of this draft proposal "do not even believe Israel should exist"?
username2950448
Rep:
Prior to this vote Nikki Haley warned US allies, including the UK, that:

... we don't expect those we've helped to target us. On Thurs there'll be a vote criticizing our choice. The US will be taking names.
Source (her Twitter).

Is this threatening language aimed at allies (including the UK) appropriate? Given the U.K. (along with every other UNSC member) supported the proposal, should we be worried that the U.S. has now placed us on their naughty list?
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Palmyra)
You appear to be confused. Which of the 14 UNSC members that voted in favour of this draft proposal "do not even believe Israel should exist"?
currently we have Egypt on the council begrudgingly accepting Israel is here to stay, however if you did as I suggested you would see a nice big block of draft resolutions at the beginning of the second intifada from Lybia, Qatar, I imagine Iraq too and in fact most of the Arab league (I didn't look through all of them and some were private meetings and so the un documents make no mention of who drafted them) which have a shocking trend of demanding Israel to cease action against terrorists attacking them, might I add these terrorists were formally backed by Iraq until Hussein was deposed.
FriendlyPenguin
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
anarchism101
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No real surprises here. Also, given Obama did let through Res 2334 right at the end of his term, this is a bit of trying to close the barn door after the horse has bolted.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Looks like the rest of the world is on the USA's naughty list.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)

When it goes against international law? No.
username2950448
Rep:
(Original post by anarchism101)
No real surprises here. Also, given Obama did let through Res 2334 right at the end of his term, this is a bit of trying to close the barn door after the horse has bolted.
The UNGA just passed the resolution 128-9 (only Israel, Togo and the US and its islands voting against - I guess Togo needed the aid money).

Looks like threats and blackmail isn't a winning solution to getting people on your side, who knew?

Ganjaweed Rebel
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
They might even write Israel nasty letter.
Tibenasu
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Ever notice how Alexander Ham is always silent in these threads?

Too busy promoting conspiracies that Trump is controlled by Putin when his actions show they're under Israels control but we already knew that didn't we?

Lets see..

Under Trump we've had

Continued sanctions against Russia

Supplying more weapons to Ukraine

Cracking down on Russian media

Of course this is happening because the DEEP state, which is full of Hillary butthurt supporters and also neo-cons have been pushing for a conflict with Russia for ages including under Obama.

They promote this conspiracy to back Trump into a corner, forcing him to only be hostile because if he wasn't it would be proof that he's Putin's puppet LOL

Unbelievable how thick people are.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (32)
69.57%
No (10)
21.74%
I didn't use it to prepare (4)
8.7%

Watched Threads