Jazziii
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys,

So, I know its not good to entirely rely on league tables when making decisions about which uni to apply for, but I am curious as to know what league table you guys like to follow

I’ve been using the Guardian 2018 League Table and saw some pretty shocking results e.g LSBU 13th for Law. I dont know whether to trust the Guardian or not lol
gd99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jazziii)
Hey guys,

So, I know its not good to entirely rely on league tables when making decisions about which uni to apply for, but I am curious as to know what league table you guys like to follow

I’ve been using the Guardian 2018 League Table and saw some pretty shocking results e.g LSBU 13th for Law. I dont know whether to trust the Guardian or not lol
I found it best to use a combination of all of them, just to get an overall feeling for where a university ranks, then pick from that based on my preferences of location, course etc.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys,

I used QS, THE and CUG as a starting point to shortlist some universities.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ignore the Guardian.

CUG is OK but nevertheless flawed. It gives undue weighting to the Scottish unis whose students have studied Scottish qualifications which are given high UCAS tariff points. For the subject rankings, the data is usually quite unreliable owing to a low number of respondents.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys,

All are inherently flawed but the Guardian seems to have more WTF? rankings than the others. A couple of years ago they had Brunel fourth for History...

Posted from TSR Mobile
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
All are inherently flawed but the Guardian seems to have more WTF? rankings than the others. A couple of years ago they had Brunel fourth for History...

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what having student satisfaction provide 25% of your metrics gives you...

Not to mention the existence of a 'value added score'...
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
That's what having student satisfaction provide 25% of your metrics gives you...

Throw some dice and see what they add up to...
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)

They have also bizarrely attempted to transliterate old-UCAS tariff scores to the new system. I think they are trying to be too clever for their own good and in the process validated the hopes and dreams of London South Bank grads.
flatlined
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any RG will do, particularly Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, QMUL, Bristol, Durham, Warwick, Exeter and Nottingham.

Better than league tables would be unistats.com to review the degree classes by year, it has by far the most useful/interesting data sets.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise