This discussion is closed.
pinkbacon1437
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you going into year 10 or have you just finished year 10? And what are your targets?
LawLawABC
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The news said there are 732 students got all level 9s this year, pretty tough...
gloriamus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
0.001464% of students got all 9s this year, only including those that did 7 or more GCSEs (732 students out of 500 000). However, I think if you think of it more as getting into the top 2% of History, top 2% of English Lit, etc, it will make it seem more attainable.

I'm also about to go into Y11 and I'm taking 12 GCSEs including Further Maths so I am a little apprehensive, but if you're doing relatively well now and got 7/8s in your Y10 mocks I'd make a fairly relaxed revision timetable and stick to that consistently. That's what I'm going to try to do, anyway.

Plus hone down on exam technique, do past papers etc. Some good study YouTubers include Eve Bennett and Unjaded Jade, they've just finished their A levels but they have loads of good videos for study motivation, techniques etc.

Hope that helped!
Bluepanda1234
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by louishill1)
I got all 9s (I'm in shock) and I'm wondering whether to start a study youtube channel, not out of vanity, but to help people simply because I know how tough the new exams are.
Wow that is amazing, congratulations! Did you start revision early, how often did you revise and do you have any tips?
louishill1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I honestly barely revised in year 10 but I realised by the summer between year 10 and 11 that I had to work hard if I were to achieve my target grades.

I did start revising from September but this was not hours and hours just preparation for tests we had. I revised for my November mocks but took a break around December. From January, I made a habit of doing consistent revision and working on my weakest areas but the amount obviously increased come April.

I have many tips but I would say work as hard as you possibly can and you will do well. I never had any tutors or help from parents so it really can be done just with your own hard work.

For subjects such as science, the key is to understand what the examiner wants, eg. Specific phrases that always come up in mark schemes or wording of the specification.
Maths needs practice practice practice.
For English, you need to get to grips with a certain style of essay and remember how to answer each language question - Mr Bruff and Mr Salles are great!

Stay motivated and set yourself goals, ie finish cell biology flashcards by this date. It helps to have revision resources made early.
Treat mock exams as the real ones and use them to identify areas of weakness.
Do as many past and specimen papers as you can (I know this is hard with the 9-1 GCSEs) and make a note of things you got wrong and the correct perfect markscheme answer.

Overall, there is no magic formula or one tip I can give you, but if you need any help then I’m always here to talk, that goes for anyone
2002student
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cj_sS)
If you think about it this way:

You take lets say 10 GCSE'S

2% In each GCSE will get a 9

2% as a fraction is 2/100

2% is for one so to work it out for all 10 we would have to multiply the fraction by 10.

When working out the probability of more than one thing happening you have to multiply them

There are roughly 500 000 students in year 11

2/100 * 2/100 2/100 * 2/100 2/100 * 2/100
2/100 * 2/100 2/100 * 2/100 = 0.00000000000000001024

or something like that looool

hope that helps - it probably didn't
so it turns out that 732 students got straight 9s so your maths was pretty off
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SaDe7)
statistically only 2 people will get straight 9s each year
Would you like to retract that statement?
dlsoii
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Got 10 9s, 2A*s and an 8 and my advice is start early and memorise every detail as I found that, as opposed to what people usually say, having everything memorised helped me a lot in problem solving as I could cohesively draw facts together rather than struggling to remember them.
Swammer940522
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi. That's a really good ambition to have. I got 9 x 9s, 1x 8 and 1 xA* and my biggest tip would just be to work hard. Make sure you've covered every part of the content and feel comfortable answering any possible question before the real exam. Check your specs to ensure your teachers have taught you everything and if you are lucky enough to have coursework in any of your subjects, aim to get full marks (even if it means redrafting it 5 times!) However, remember to have some 'down time' as well because the most important factor in success is being happy and healthy, especially as the examination period is so stressful. As long as you try your best, you can have no regrets and I'm sure you'll do yourself proud!
Swammer940522
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also, anyone can get straight 9s if they work hard and start revising from the first day of Year 11. I did it at a comprehensive state school with no teacher in 4 of my subjects
idkmynamelol0161
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah please do
Lulu444t
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got all 9s (I'm in shock) and I'm wondering whether to start a study youtube channel, not out of vanity, but to help people simply because I know how tough the new exams are.
I’m about to start year 11 and haven’t found a way of revising effectively and I know many are in my situation. To have someone who has been through GCSEs and come out fantastically would be such a help! If you do start a channel be link it because I would subscribe right away xx
scarlett_rose
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, please that would be so helpful. I'm starting year 10 and really don't know where to start
Anon_k
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by richard004)
I'm in year 10, and I've uninstalled all my games because it is a distraction cause I just can't control it.I realised when I grow up I don't want to regret that I should have worked harder to get better results etc. I've got the motivation to work and study hard, I really want to get all 9s in everything and minimum 8s (except Spanish because **** that) but I just don't know where to start and what to actually do. For example, after school should i revise the things ive just done in that day or should i start revising the things ive done when i just started my gcses? (my school started ours in year9) I just have no idea what to do really
Make revision notes (neatly so you can use it for next year) you don’t really need to revise that much but do make sure to revise for end of year tests and mid term tests because it will predict your grades and will determine your sets for year 11
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You attained straight 9s? A staggeringly impressive achievement. May I ask, in what subjects? I definitely think you should start a YouTube study help channel with those credentials. Your advice could make a difference.
louishill1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much, the only thing holding me back is my confidence and the fear of embarrassment!

The subjects taken were: English Literature, English Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, German, Religious Studies (compulsory) and Music
JackFitz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much, the only thing holding me back is my confidence and the fear of embarrassment!

The subjects taken were: English Literature, English Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, German, Religious Studies (compulsory) and Music
Don't let that hold you back, a lot of people on here will support you and will benefit from what you post
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Nice subject combination! I understand not everybody's a natural in front of the camera, but you shouldn't have much to fear with those grades. Students will respect you a lot. The only thing I would be scared of is being inundated with questions haha.
louishill1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Nice subject combination! I understand not everybody's a natural in front of the camera, but you shouldn't have much to fear with those grades. Students will respect you a lot. The only thing I would be scared of is being inundated with questions haha.
Thank you! I shall definitely consider it.
emmataco
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
largely genetics
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (11)
20%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (14)
25.45%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (30)
54.55%

Watched Threads