The Student Room Group

Should I do pure English Lit at Uni?

Basically, I was obsessed with the idea of doing History at University but now I'm not enjoying as much as I was at GCSE and whilst I'm doing well and making progress I feel like I've lost my history spark and I'm now loving english A LOT
I previously wanted to do history and politics but whilst im interested in politics and have a lot of well informed opinions I can never find the motivation to read an actual newspaper all the way through so idk whether I should stick to what I love and do English Lit (pure) or do it with politics or philosophy? (previously loved RE and ethics so feel like philosophy would be a good one)
Thanks im having a mid y12 crisis xxx

edit: someone please just dictate to me what i should do
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Ummm no because it's not a STEM subject at Oxbridge...
Do what you love! It may change but that’s fine. You have a year to decide, speak to teachers, form tutors, parents, and friends. See the pros and cons of doing each subject and go from there! You can change your degree at university sometimes, anyway, or do a one year conversion course.
Reply 3
Original post by Texxers
Ummm no because it's not a STEM subject at Oxbridge...

oh gosh yeah forgot they were the only useful degrees in the world
Original post by sachalilyy
Basically, I was obsessed with the idea of doing History at University but now I'm not enjoying as much as I was at GCSE and whilst I'm doing well and making progress I feel like I've lost my history spark and I'm now loving english A LOT
I previously wanted to do history and politics but whilst im interested in politics and have a lot of well informed opinions I can never find the motivation to read an actual newspaper all the way through so idk whether I should stick to what I love and do English Lit (pure) or do it with politics or philosophy? (previously loved RE and ethics so feel like philosophy would be a good one)

Try doing some reading around the possible subjects you're interested in. However if you don't enjoy/can't get through newspapers, I'm not sure how much you'd enjoy political texts - I'd reccomend having a look at 'Democracy in America' or for something more contemporary, anything by Francis Fukuyama. I also enjoyed ethics in RE but remember that philosophy is much more than ethics, so it'd be worth looking into metaphysics or logic to see how much you enjoy them. If you're in year 12, you have plenty more time to decide on a degree so don't feel too pressured. Focus on your A levels for now and I'm sure by the end of the year you'll have a better idea of what you want to study.
Original post by sachalilyy

edit: someone please just dictate to me what i should do

Word hard. Get the best grades possible and take a gap till you know what you wish to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending