JammyW15
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am currently an undergraduate chemistry student in my second year with January exams coming up. My method of revision is doing notes after my lectures each day and keeping up with every lecture. I've done a good job at keeping that routine this year, I have pages and pages of notes from different modules... and now comes the hard part. Last year I found myself to be really stressed in trying to revise all the content and doing past paper and workshop questions. I want to change that and be more time efficient since last year I basically rewrote everything I did throughout the year. So now some questions....

1) If you have 4 different modules to revise for, do you find it best to spend week 1 revising and doing all the practices you can do for module 1, and then in week 2 doing the same thing for module 2, etc (4 weeks in total)? Or do you mix it up a bit, ie two days on module 1, two days on module 2, two days on module 3, two days on module 4 and just repeating that cycle ?

2) I find it really difficult to just look at the notes I've already written and learn it like that, I need to write it down again to ensure I know it. Instead of writing everything out again like I did last year.. how would I go about this in a time efficient manner ?
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JammyW15)
I am currently an undergraduate chemistry student in my second year with January exams coming up. My method of revision is doing notes after my lectures each day and keeping up with every lecture. I've done a good job at keeping that routine this year, I have pages and pages of notes from different modules... and now comes the hard part. Last year I found myself to be really stressed in trying to revise all the content and doing past paper and workshop questions. I want to change that and be more time efficient since last year I basically rewrote everything I did throughout the year. So now some questions....

1) If you have 4 different modules to revise for, do you find it best to spend week 1 revising and doing all the practices you can do for module 1, and then in week 2 doing the same thing for module 2, etc (4 weeks in total)? Or do you mix it up a bit, ie two days on module 1, two days on module 2, two days on module 3, two days on module 4 and just repeating that cycle ?

2) I find it really difficult to just look at the notes I've already written and learn it like that, I need to write it down again to ensure I know it. Instead of writing everything out again like I did last year.. how would I go about this in a time efficient manner ?
1. I would break it up and use your second proposed method. That works best for me. In fact, I like to mix it up further and will do revision on two different modules each day which also has the benefit of ensuring you don't run out of time to revise everything properly and so neglect a module.

2. Try writing things out, but in a more brief format. I like to make posters, flashcards, etc. which means I am still writing out the material, but not in full so it doesn't take forever and is vaguely interesting work.
MexicanKeith
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JammyW15)

I agree with the other poster, breaking it up is the way I find best (days and days on the same topic is mind numbing).
When I was revising for finals last year I started by writing out a rough plan. so I wrote out a list of each day until my exams, then filled in each day with what i was going to revise that day (normally 2 topics) in the immediate future you can be specific eg 'Revise Quantum Mechanics' but as you get further into the future you should leave it more open ended so you have the flexibility to revise what you are still unsure on when you get that far through revision eg 'Revise Physical Chemistry'.

Trying to compact your notes is good, because, unlike writing them out again, it makes you really think about each thing and work out if you need to know it, or if you could work it out from knowing other things (eg you don't need to know the Clausius-Clapeyron equation if you know how to get to it from the fundamental thermodynamic equations).

Past papers are very much your friend, if you do enough past paper questions you will get a good feel for what examiner think is important and what comes up regularly which will help to streamline your revision as well as highlighting the important areas you haven't understood fully
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (8)
32%
I really love the subject (10)
40%