The Student Room Group

Computer Science Graduate

Hi,

I graduated in 2016 with a Computer Science degree 2.2 (unfortunately)

I am still unemployed, due to some health reasons as I have been in and out of hospitals recovering from an operation I had.

So I decided to take a look at my options and I came across android application development. The only aspect holding me back is the 'Math' part, I consider myself to be weak at maths.

I know I've studied computer science but hey, everyone has a weakness and math happens to be mine.

I really enjoy the fact that you can make an idea into an app and hold it in your hand :biggrin:

Any advice is much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Original post by Adeelh164
Hi,

I am still unemployed, due to some health reasons as I have been in and out of hospitals recovering from an operation I had.

So I decided to take a look at my options and I came across android application development. The only aspect holding me back is the 'Math' part, I consider myself to be weak at maths.

I know I've studied computer science but hey, everyone has a weakness and math happens to be mine.

I really enjoy the fact that you can make an idea into an app and hold it in your hand :biggrin:

Many Thanks

Original post by Adeelh164
Hi,

Many Thanks

Being weak at mathematics and graduating with a 2:2 in CS (which is still fairly high) sounds unusual!

I've spoken to a few recruiters before, and they value a good Github portfolio over anything else. Try make some repos and filling it up with projects?
Maths and Computer Science go well together at college and university, but the reality of programming is that you'll hardly ever find yourself needing to think about Maths, letalone do anything which needs you to sit down and understand some complicated equation or formula. You can go a very long way writing all kinds of apps without ever really needing to do anything more than simple arithmetic.
Original post by winterscoming
Maths and Computer Science go well together at college and university, but the reality of programming is that you'll hardly ever find yourself needing to think about Maths, letalone do anything which needs you to sit down and understand some complicated equation or formula. You can go a very long way writing all kinds of apps without ever really needing to do anything more than simple arithmetic.

Pretty much this really, I've yet to need any advanced maths in either of my dev roles :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending