The Student Room Group

Cambridge H100 Engineering Applicants 2020 Thread

Scroll to see replies

It's a bit too early but I can't stop you from doing what you wanna do.

Focus on the GCSE'S. I know a guy in my year who applied for Cambridge Maths and Computer Science (not engineering) with 4A* predictions and 6A*s at GCSE and was rejected. So focus on those grades at GCSE'S because we all theorised those GCSE'S let him down (and to some people that's not a bad GCSE result to have). Also have a strong personal statement. And I mean strong. Oxbridge doesn't really care about ncs/dofe (by all means do them) they want academics, on average I've heard that the typical Oxbridge statement should be 70%-80% academic and the rest on something else. Best of luck on everything!
Original post by GalGirl101
It's a bit too early but I can't stop you from doing what you wanna do.

Focus on the GCSE'S. I know a guy in my year who applied for Cambridge Maths and Computer Science (not engineering) with 4A* predictions and 6A*s at GCSE and was rejected. So focus on those grades at GCSE'S because we all theorised those GCSE'S let him down (and to some people that's not a bad GCSE result to have). Also have a strong personal statement. And I mean strong. Oxbridge doesn't really care about ncs/dofe (by all means do them) they want academics, on average I've heard that the typical Oxbridge statement should be 70%-80% academic and the rest on something else. Best of luck on everything!

He wasn't rejected because he got 6A*s at GCSE
He probably wasn't what they were looking for in a student.
Cambridge and Oxford put emphasis on A-levels to an extent, but you have to think the way they want you to.
3,4,5,6 and even 100A* predictions or achieved grades won't guarantee you a place at Oxbridge.
Original post by erratic_deus
He wasn't rejected because he got 6A*s at GCSE
He probably wasn't what they were looking for in a student.
Cambridge and Oxford put emphasis on A-levels to an extent, but you have to think the way they want you to.
3,4,5,6 and even 100A* predictions or achieved grades won't guarantee you a place at Oxbridge.

Probably so. Like I said we were just theorising. He did a lot so yeah maybe his personal statement let him down. My point of the original post: focus on those GCSE's otherwise you can forget about Oxbridge.
Reply 47
I was told Cambridge wasn't good for Engineering

Who told you that and by what metric is it supposed to be 'not good'?
Original post by GalGirl101
Probably so. Like I said we were just theorising. He did a lot so yeah maybe his personal statement let him down. My point of the original post: focus on those GCSE's otherwise you can forget about Oxbridge.

Yeah true.
I am focusing on my qualifications
But you can get into Cambridge with no GCSES or Equivalent, provided you are doing well (A*/D1) in A-levels or equivalent.

Original post by Elcano
Who told you that and by what metric is it supposed to be 'not good'?

It is just a general term said by people who I haven't bothered to memorise by name.
There is definitely a view amongst some that Imperial is "better" than Cambridge for Engineering
But definitely a view (held by me too) that Cambridge is better overall.
(edited 6 years ago)
2018 Jan Update!!!!!

Hey all!

I'll be living in Clare College, Cambridge for 2 weeks doing an engineering preparation course.
I will be with ORA and I'm one of the 5 2018 scholarship recipients out of 2000 applicants!!

I'll also be applying for Imperial College London's year 11 project stem summer school + the UCL year 11 summer school.

I also have a 3-day residential head start summer course at Cambridge (not sure what college) for materials science.

So excited as most of my summer will be at Cambridge and I'm going to the open day on the 6th July :smile:

As for my qualifications, I'm confirmed to do 'level 3 additional mathematics' this year.

So essentially - most of my personal statement is going to be made this summer and I'm also going to decide if Aerospace Engineering is really the one!
Reply 50
2018 Jan Update!!!!!

Hey all!

I'll be living in Clare College, Cambridge for 2 weeks doing an engineering preparation course.
I will be with ORA and I'm one of the 5 2018 scholarship recipients out of 2000 applicants!!

I'll also be applying for Imperial College London's year 11 project stem summer school + the UCL year 11 summer school.

I also have a 3-day residential head start summer course at Cambridge (not sure what college) for materials science.

So excited as most of my summer will be at Cambridge and I'm going to the open day on the 6th July :smile:

As for my qualifications, I'm confirmed to do 'level 3 additional mathematics' this year.

So essentially - most of my personal statement is going to be made this summer and I'm also going to decide if Aerospace Engineering is really the one!

Have you looked at Arkwright?
http://www.arkwright.org.uk/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury

Yes when I read about how X was rejected from Durham with an

Arkwright Scholarship

I thought wow

so the I looked to apply and I was late

They closed the submissions

:frown:
rip I can't get any medicine work experience
Original post by Doonesbury
Just noticed this.

You might be interested in http://www.romatheengineer.com
She is an amazing engineer.

Also
http://i-want-to-study-engineering.org
https://isaacphysics.org

Thanks bro
Original post by livxwaterman
rip I can't get any medicine work experience

I told you already!!! apply for bio-engineering placements since they're plentiful also check Inspire (can't check now i dont want to leave safari) Queen mary does a residential biomedical course for girls only.
EXAMPLE SUCCESSFUL PHYSICS PERSONAL STATEMENT FOR TRINITY COLLEGE CAMBRIDGE.
Writer of this statement has since graduated with a double 1st (i don't know if this is right but this what i was told) in Physics and Mathematics
This week isn't looking too good.
I didn't get a scholarship to study Mechanics and Electronics at Harvard Summer School.
I told you already!!! apply for bio-engineering placements since they're plentiful also check Inspire (can't check now i dont want to leave safari) Queen mary does a residential biomedical course for girls only.

-_-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending