The Student Room Group

Male nurse student mentor and sign off

My final placement mentor is also my sign off he is a ward male sister. Question is, how should I demonstrate my skills? I am not good dealing with men, are male mentors easy to get on with? Any tips please ? Thank you.
Original post by Mimi2014
My final placement mentor is also my sign off he is a ward male sister. Question is, how should I demonstrate my skills? I am not good dealing with men, are male mentors easy to get on with? Any tips please ? Thank you.

You should treat the situation exactly as you would with a female mentor. His genitalia has no bearing on his mentorship.
Men in nursing? Whatever next?!
ps. don't call him sister :tongue:

Spoiler

Reply 4
Charity begins at home
Original post by Mimi2014

You can’t really judge how well you will get on with a mentor is because of their gender.

From my personal experience, I have only had two male mentors out of the whole time I’ve been on the course and they have been absolutely wonderful and fair towards me.

Don’t worry about his gender. Just do what you have to do in order to pass your sign-off placement.
Just treat them like any other mentor you don't have to be best friends. Men in nursing shockingly exist so as a sign off you need to adjust to that as you could be working with them properly in a few months.

Original post by The Uniqueness
You can’t really judge how well you will get on with a mentor is because of their gender.

From my personal experience, I have only had two male mentors out of the whole time I’ve been on the course and they have been absolutely wonderful and fair towards me.

Don’t worry about his gender. Just do what you have to do in order to pass your sign-off placement.

Very true. I've had two (inc current mentor) and both have been every bit as supportive and knowledgeble as my female mentors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending