Recommend me my first Queer/Feminist book? Watch

Fwd
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I don't know much about the Queer/Feminist movement/theory/political ideology (?? ? :confused:) and whatnot, but would love to learn so I can at least form some views or ideas on the subject that is highly spoke about.

So, can anyone please recommend me a book that is suitable for someone who doesn't know much about anything? :lol::giggle: I've tried googling loads but I cant find anything that seems appropriate to read when I have very little previous knowledge.

Thankuuuu
honeyofcourse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hey! "introducing feminism" is a great kinda graphic novel (ish? idrk what to call it) for feminist history :')

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Introducing.../dp/184046058X
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"The Flipside of Feminism." by Suzanne Venka.

You are about it run with the herd and enter the realms of a multi-million pound industry called "Feminism"
The media is full of feminist , politics is full of feminists and academia and universities are utterly awash with feminist dogma. Go into any Waterstones or check on Amazon you will see dozens if not hundreds are books on feminism.
You are about to be indoctrinated into a beast that needs to constantly be fed hence the ridiculous campaigns on manspreading mansplaining sexist air conditioning ban bossy etc etc.
Do yourself a favour before you read any of these dozens and dozens of books on feminism that are available, read one book,. just one, that questions and calls out and counterbalances even slightly narrative you are about to be fed.
jimmythebee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would recommend Virgina Woolfes 'A room for ones one'.
It is a classic piece of feminist literature.
Abcdefghijk123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've heard that Feminism Is For Everybody by Bell Hooks is really good, maybe try that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.12%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.37%
No- I want it (174)
28.34%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.17%

Watched Threads