The Student Room Group

How to gain confidence on the road?

I am currently in the process of preparing for my driving test, I have done 20 hours of driving so far, and whilst I can say that I have definitely gone a long way since a few months ago (I used to be so scared of driving), I still don't feel very confident when I drive.

I'm always asking my instructor whether I should do certain things, eg: whether I should go at a junction, or whether it would be safe for me to join a roundabout, etc. I can't do these things on my own, and if I try to, I get really indecisive and then end up panicking. I also really hate going on roads that I haven't been on before, it just scares me...

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get over this? And also how long did it take for you to become confident when driving?
Maybe look at routes on google maps and visualise how you would tackle them.

I got confident because I knew my routes and also practiced everything until I got it right (roundabouts, junctions, other traffic etc).

You could look at YouTube videos on driving, on how to counter junctions, roundabouts.

Good luck
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently in the process of preparing for my driving test, I have done 20 hours of driving so far, and whilst I can say that I have definitely gone a long way since a few months ago (I used to be so scared of driving), I still don't feel very confident when I drive.

I'm always asking my instructor whether I should do certain things, eg: whether I should go at a junction, or whether it would be safe for me to join a roundabout, etc. I can't do these things on my own, and if I try to, I get really indecisive and then end up panicking. I also really hate going on roads that I haven't been on before, it just scares me...

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get over this? And also how long did it take for you to become confident when driving?

It sounds obvious but the best way to become more confident is to practice. Go on longer drives that would make you feel uncomfortable and I know it's nerve wracking but force yourself to do it, it'll really make you more confident once you realise you can do it.

Also for roads you've never been on, apple or google maps are good if you don't have a satnav, they'll tell you audibly where you need to go so you can make sure you're in the correct lanes etc to lessen any stress. Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there!

This thread should be in the Learning to drive forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending