The Student Room Group

Boyfriend of Towie ex-star Ferne McCann sentenced to 25 years for club acid attack

He did insist that he didn’t know the substance was acid and was instead a date drug in which he threw away.

Guess the jury had other things in mind.

Generally, with acid attacks, I solely believe the culprit should get life without parole considering these victims will have to live with these scars. Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by icequeenTM
He did insist that he didn’t know the substance was acid and was instead a date drug in which he threw away.

Guess the jury had other things in mind.

Generally, with acid attacks, I solely believe the culprit should get life without parole considering these victims will have to live with these scars. Thoughts?

Why do we waste taxpayers money, limited jail cell space and overall resources, in general, keeping people like this alive? Bring back the death penalty I say. Society doesn’t need people like that.
I can't believe murderers and rapists in Britain can get less than 25 years
Reply 3
Original post by CrazyPantha27
Why do we waste taxpayers money, limited jail cell space and overall resources, in general, keeping people like this alive? Bring back the death penalty I say. Society doesn’t need people like that.

I was considering mentioning this however I did mention that he thought the substance was a date drug. So imagine if he was wrongfully convicted? I don’t know about you but that seriously turns my stomach inside out.
Reply 4
Original post by erratic_deus

This is sadly true.
Original post by CrazyPantha27

Because capital punishment would cost the tax payers much more, that's why.

I usually believe for a lot of cases rehabilitation should be the primary focus rather than punishment. But when it comes to things like acid attacks.. give them a bit of their own medicine.
Reply 6

To create a prison space and then imprison someone for 25 years costs in excess of £1,000,000.
The title is so unnecessary. It should be:

'Man sentenced to 25 years for club acid attack'

Britain is relatively harsh compared to a lot of the EU. We still have the indeterminate sentences.

In a lot of European countries, there are maximum sentences a lot lower than you might think. I think in Norway, the maximum sentence for rape is 10 years. In Spain, I think it's 30 years no matter what you have done (you could have killed 6 people). Iceland has people serving 4 or 5 years for murder.

This below isn't a picture of the halls of residence at a Russell Group university. It's a Norwegian prison cell.

Reply 9
Original post by Trinculo
Britain is relatively harsh compared to a lot of the EU. We still have the indeterminate sentences.

In a lot of European countries, there are maximum sentences a lot lower than you might think. I think in Norway, the maximum sentence for rape is 10 years. In Spain, I think it's 30 years no matter what you have done (you could have killed 6 people). Iceland has people serving 4 or 5 years for murder.

This below isn't a picture of the halls of residence at a Russell Group university. It's a Norwegian prison cell.

As an addendum to your remark on the Norwegian model - it has been shown that their policy of rehabilitation tends to work far more than the British rehabilitation/punishment balancing act and infinitely more so than the US policy of punishment with no rehabilitation. Treating prisoners like scum [even if they are] tends to produce far worse results for all concerned.
I mean you can debate the ethics of the various systems till the cows come home but if memory serves Norway and similar countries have far far lower levels of recidivism than the two counter examples I used.
He got 20 years not 25.
Original post by Franzen
He got 20 years not 25.

Correct. I immediately made out 25 but it’s 20 years in jail and 5 on licence.
Correct. I immediately made out 25 but it’s 20 years in jail and 5 on licence.

Oh, I didn't realise that! My mistake. Does that mean he's ineligible for parole and will definitely be in jail for 20 years?
Original post by Franzen
Oh, I didn't realise that! My mistake. Does that mean he's ineligible for parole and will definitely be in jail for 20 years?

Licence is essentially parole. He will serve two thirds of his custodial part of his sentence and then he will serve the 5 years on licence. So no he’s not ineligible.
Licence is essentially parole. He will serve two thirds of his custodial part of his sentence and then he will serve the 5 years on licence. So no he’s not ineligible.

Thanks :smile: So it works out that over half of his sentence can be served outside of prison. Seems strange to me. The bloke's got off lightly.
Original post by Franzen
Thanks :smile: So it works out that over half of his sentence can be served outside of prison. Seems strange to me. The bloke's got off lightly.

No worries. And very much so it seems.
Original post by Napp
As an addendum to your remark on the Norwegian model - it has been shown that their policy of rehabilitation tends to work far more than the British rehabilitation/punishment balancing act and infinitely more so than the US policy of punishment with no rehabilitation. Treating prisoners like scum [even if they are] tends to produce far worse results for all concerned.
I mean you can debate the ethics of the various systems till the cows come home but if memory serves Norway and similar countries have far far lower levels of recidivism than the two counter examples I used.

Scandinavian countries don't have the same patterns of crime as Britain, though. They have much smaller populations and a completely different social make up. There's no causation attached to Scandinavian penal models.

If Britain were a high-income, low population country -who is to say that recidivism wouldn't be similarly low with British criminal justice?

The point I'm making about lenient sentencing isn't with regard to recividism (although I entirely accept that's a very important factor - some might say the most important) - but about punishment.
Nobody cares
Original post by angelofessence
Nobody cares

Yet you had the time to comment right? Bore off troll.
Original post by Drewski
To create a prison space and then imprison someone for 25 years costs in excess of £1,000,000.

What should we do with people who commit murder, rape etc we can't do the death penalty because we could kill an innocent person and it cost the tax payer a lot money to keep them in prison.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending