Turn on thread page Beta

Please allow me to stay anon.

I am 5’8 and weigh 75kg. I am hoping to lose 15-20kg by 2019. I’m female

I will check my weight every month and see if I’ve progressed.

I started my weight loss journey 20 mins ago lol. I began by eating an apple and excercising for 10 mins.

Well I’m super duper skinny. Way too skinny in fact I’m desperately trying to gain weight but essentially what id say (and my problem is I do too much of this in my sport) is for exercise do loads of intense but short cardio.
    Don’t do like a 50 minute run or something that takes forever and won’t burn half as much as 10x20 second sprints. Same for swimming etc, short bursts burn more because they are more of an intense stimulus to your body.
    Literally you’re exercise routine can be less than 1 hr a week if you plan it right.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Also good on you for taking a positive decision about your health (not that you are necessarily unhealthy).

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Well I’m super duper skinny. Way too skinny in fact I’m desperately trying to gain weight but essentially what id say (and my problem is I do too much of this in my sport) is for exercise do loads of intense but short cardio.
    Don’t do like a 50 minute run or something that takes forever and won’t burn half as much as 10x20 second sprints. Same for swimming etc, short bursts burn more because they are more of an intense stimulus to your body.
    Literally you’re exercise routine can be less than 1 hr a week if you plan it right.

I’m doing basic jogging on the spot then doing like 10 squats, lunges and glute exercises. Are those good?

Also good on you for taking a positive decision about your health (not that you are necessarily unhealthy).
    Aww thank you! I genuinely hope it works out for you.

Girl you do NOT need to lose weight!! I’m 5’9” and my weight varies between 70-75kg, attaches photos are of me (the one in the bikini is actually before I started exercising properly; you can see them leg gains in the second pic lol!!). 10kg at most is what you could safely lose; if you exercise and eat well your weight will redistribute and some will become muscle so you can end up feeling healthier and having the body type you’re aiming for without losing loads of weight. Don’t use numbers on a scale as your target, use more how are you feeling, is your stamina/strength improving, what physical changes are you noticing.

Attachment 711668
    Attachment 711670

Girl you do NOT need to lose weight!! I’m 5’9” and my weight varies between 70-75kg, attaches photos are of me (the one in the bikini is actually before I started exercising properly; you can see them leg gains in the second pic lol!!). 10kg at most is what you could safely lose; if you exercise and eat well your weight will redistribute and some will become muscle so you can end up feeling healthier and having the body type you’re aiming for without losing loads of weight. Don’t use numbers on a scale as your target, use more how are you feeling, is your stamina/strength improving, what physical changes are you noticing.

Attachment 711668
    Attachment 711670
    Hey girl, the pictures aren’t showing. Beautiful height!

I’m not focusing on the numbers because I know height contributes a little bit to that but it just shows that I’m definitely losing weight because it’s not noticeable at times. Thanks girl for the advice 💕

ReputationRep:
    Please allow me to stay anon.

I am 5’8 and weigh 75kg. I am hoping to lose 15-20kg by 2019. I’m female

I will check my weight every month and see if I’ve progressed.

I started my weight loss journey 20 mins ago lol. I began by eating an apple and excercising for 10 mins.
    Of course you can! However, you HAVE to stay committed and not give up. It's really hard but take it slow maybe. I suggest if you want, go to the gym but it will only work if you watch what you are eating. There are many weight loss tips, videos, and advice on Youtube like drinking Green Tea and etc. You can check the videos out to see what works the best for you. Check out Krissy Cela on Instagram or on Youtube - she has great personalised meal plans / gym plans and fitness tips and videos on Instagram. Best of luck!

P.S. GIRL YOU ARE NOT FAT haha. x

(Original post by shanjida10)
    Of course you can! However, you HAVE to stay committed and not give up. It's really hard but take it slow maybe. I suggest if you want, go to the gym but it will only work if you watch what you are eating. There are many weight loss tips, videos, and advice on Youtube like drinking Green Tea and etc. You can check the videos out to see what works the best for you. Check out Krissy Cela on Instagram or on Youtube - she has great personalised meal plans / gym plans and fitness tips and videos on Instagram. Best of luck!

P.S. GIRL YOU ARE NOT FAT haha. x
    Commitment is what I’m the worst at. But I’m going to take it one day at a time! Thanks so much for the advice 😊😊

Girl trust me I am. My tummy is huuuuuge. If only you guys saw a picture... you would take it back xD I’ve been told I look pregnant

ReputationRep:
    Commitment is what I’m the worst at. But I’m going to take it one day at a time! Thanks so much for the advice 😊😊

Girl trust me I am. My tummy is huuuuuge. If only you guys saw a picture... you would take it back xD I’ve been told I look pregnant
    Hahahaha, I’m worst at commitment too. I always wake up thinking “TODAY I’m gonna try eating a lil healthier for once” *next day* “flip it, I want chips, maybe a burger too.. ooh no I want icecream.” Best of luck, I hope you get the results you want and I’m sure you don’t look pregnant hahaha. x

(Original post by shanjida10)
    Hahahaha, I’m worst at commitment too. I always wake up thinking “TODAY I’m gonna try eating a lil healthier for once” *next day* “flip it, I want chips, maybe a burger too.. ooh no I want icecream.” Best of luck, I hope you get the results you want and I’m sure you don’t look pregnant hahaha. x
    Lmao same thanks x

ReputationRep:
    First off I just want to say it makes me really happy to see someone with a realistic timeline for their weight goals! So many people seem to past like 'I need to lose 30lbs in a month!' which just isn't reasonable but I think up to 20kg in a year is very achievable.

The lower end of your boundary is 55kg which would put your BMI at 18.4,, a smidge under the 'healthy weight' category. But personally I wouldn't say 18.4 is too low, especially if you don't have a load of muscle. As a small framed person my BMI is low but I'm in great health and am slim but not gaunt or scary skinny so whilst you ARE currently a healthy weight I can understand that for you personally it may be higher than you like.

An apple and 10 minutes of exercise is actually a pretty good start. If you just add an extra piece of fruit/veg for more nutrients and increase your exercise a small bit per day then that alone will help you lose a bit of weight.

I lost 25lbs last year so I've learned a bit about losing weight. The biggest thing I learned is that it's not all straight, steady loss. It goes down, it plateaus, it goes up a little bit. You seem like you have a sensible attitude towards this so I won't bang on about not starving yourself or getting obsessed (but obviously try not to do either of those things!)

Good luck! x

If you want any advice then I'd be happy to share things I've learned, recipes, exercise etc

(Original post by PollyParrot23)
    First off I just want to say it makes me really happy to see someone with a realistic timeline for their weight goals! So many people seem to past like 'I need to lose 30lbs in a month!' which just isn't reasonable but I think up to 20kg in a year is very achievable.

The lower end of your boundary is 55kg which would put your BMI at 18.4,, a smidge under the 'healthy weight' category. But personally I wouldn't say 18.4 is too low, especially if you don't have a load of muscle. As a small framed person my BMI is low but I'm in great health and am slim but not gaunt or scary skinny so whilst you ARE currently a healthy weight I can understand that for you personally it may be higher than you like.

An apple and 10 minutes of exercise is actually a pretty good start. If you just add an extra piece of fruit/veg for more nutrients and increase your exercise a small bit per day then that alone will help you lose a bit of weight.

I lost 25lbs last year so I've learned a bit about losing weight. The biggest thing I learned is that it's not all straight, steady loss. It goes down, it plateaus, it goes up a little bit. You seem like you have a sensible attitude towards this so I won't bang on about not starving yourself or getting obsessed (but obviously try not to do either of those things!)

Good luck! x

If you want any advice then I'd be happy to share things I've learned, recipes, exercise etc
    Thank you ever so much. Honestly, I used to be one of those people who would be obsessed with quick weight loss but it just wasn’t a nice feeling so decided to be more realistic this time round.💕

Oh wow am I really at a healthy weight? My body isn’t showing that at all xD

Yeah after the Apple, I had 2 more oranges and glass of water!

Thanks sooo much!

the hardest part is saying no to junk food. my mum sometimes buys McDonald’s because it’s close to our house and idk how I’m going to say no to the food. people offering me food is going to be so difficult! going to the cinema without eating toffee popcorn and a bottle of 7UP will be difficult. watching tv shows without junk food will be very difficult. going out with people without ordering fatty foods will be so difficult. trying not to eat the crisps and yogurts my mum buys will be so hard. Binge eating will have to go. I don’t know if I can do this. I’ve tried countless times before and failed.

ate eggs this morning and a cup of water
    Then ate tuna with mayo and drank water
    Had an apple as a snack

ReputationRep:
    the hardest part is saying no to junk food. my mum sometimes buys McDonald’s because it’s close to our house and idk how I’m going to say no to the food. people offering me food is going to be so difficult! going to the cinema without eating toffee popcorn and a bottle of 7UP will be difficult. watching tv shows without junk food will be very difficult. going out with people without ordering fatty foods will be so difficult. trying not to eat the crisps and yogurts my mum buys will be so hard. Binge eating will have to go. I don’t know if I can do this. I’ve tried countless times before and failed.
    You CAN do this. Cutting out junk is really difficult as it is delicious but I found thinking about how it makes me feel helps. Sure it tastes good but I end up feeling stodgy and bloated often with a headache from sugar. Not something that's good to feel everyday. So much of this is psychological, you have to control your own cravings. I've found that focusing on nutrition is the best thing like crisps and chocolate are yummy but mangoes and blueberries are sweet AND are lower in calories so I can eat them until I can eat no more and still probably not have eaten as many calories as a big chocolate bar AND they have a load of vitamins and minerals that are really good for my body and help my hair and skin look better AND they're hydrating.

Some people say it's good to have things in moderation whereas some people find it's easier to just cut things out altogether. I'm someone who can't just have a little bit, it's all or nothing! Occasionally I do go on a binge and eat an entire selection box in one go or a whole pack of cake bars. But then I note that it doesn't make me feel great. Work out what's easier for you!

You could try alternatives? Sparkling lemon and lime water instead of 7up? Although if you only go to the cinema occasionally then it may be worth allowing yourself the treat.

It's really tough when your Mum buys sweet stuff though. I'm at uni most of the time and eat pretty well but when I come home it's hard to resist! Have you talked to your Mum about your goals? Maybe try and get her to buy you healthier alternatives (or try and convince her to start a whole family healthy eating initiative!)

It's tough but stick with it for just a month and once you start to see a difference then you'll find an extra boost of motivation. Also take pictures of yourself now and every few months take pictures of yourself in the same clothes, position etc.

You CAN do this. Cutting out junk is really difficult as it is delicious but I found thinking about how it makes me feel helps. Sure it tastes good but I end up feeling stodgy and bloated often with a headache from sugar. Not something that's good to feel everyday. So much of this is psychological, you have to control your own cravings. I've found that focusing on nutrition is the best thing like crisps and chocolate are yummy but mangoes and blueberries are sweet AND are lower in calories so I can eat them until I can eat no more and still probably not have eaten as many calories as a big chocolate bar AND they have a load of vitamins and minerals that are really good for my body and help my hair and skin look better AND they're hydrating.

Some people say it's good to have things in moderation whereas some people find it's easier to just cut things out altogether. I'm someone who can't just have a little bit, it's all or nothing! Occasionally I do go on a binge and eat an entire selection box in one go or a whole pack of cake bars. But then I note that it doesn't make me feel great. Work out what's easier for you!

You could try alternatives? Sparkling lemon and lime water instead of 7up? Although if you only go to the cinema occasionally then it may be worth allowing yourself the treat.

It's really tough when your Mum buys sweet stuff though. I'm at uni most of the time and eat pretty well but when I come home it's hard to resist! Have you talked to your Mum about your goals? Maybe try and get her to buy you healthier alternatives (or try and convince her to start a whole family healthy eating initiative!)

It's tough but stick with it for just a month and once you start to see a difference then you'll find an extra boost of motivation. Also take pictures of yourself now and every few months take pictures of yourself in the same clothes, position etc.
    Thinking about it makes it even worse for me. I’ve decided it’s better for me to crave on fruits than on junk food. And it’s really working!!!

Same! I guess we have to have some self control . Maybe if we eat slower, we would feel less cravish afterwards? x

Omg yes that’s a great idea! I really got to find out alternatives. So I can still enjoy life 😂

Yeah I’ve told her but it hasn’t changed. I just have to bear with it.

I’ve taken tons of pics. I really hope to see visible results in a month cos then that would motivate me to keep going!

Thanks girl xo

hey. where do I buy low fat crisps or chocolates that I can snack on if I’m going to the cinema for example? What brand does that?

ReputationRep:
    hey. where do I buy low fat crisps or chocolates that I can snack on if I’m going to the cinema for example? What brand does that?
    For crisps you can look for things that are baked not fried. Walkers do a baked selection which have 3g of fat per bag compared to the usual 10g. Vegetable crisps can also be great. A brand called Yushoi do 'pea snacks' which are really hard to describe (they're like....crispy baked pea pods that are kinda like chipsticks?) which I'm obsessed with at the moment. They're 88 calories a pack and 2.9g of fat. You can get them at most of the main supermarkets. Aldi do their own version of them although I don't know the nutrition for them. They also do lentil curls which I haven't tried but they sound like they could be a good crisp alternative.

As for chocolate I think your best bet is to try and get dark chocolate. I don't think there is such a thing as low calorie, low fat chocolate but dark chocolate uses less sugar than white or milk (white chocolate is basically cocoa flavoured sugar and milk!). You get more nutrients per gram with dark chocolate due to higher cocoa densities. I also find that dark chocolate is quite heavy and I can't eat as much dark chocolate as I can milk chocolate (I can easily eat enough milk chocolate for 5 people in one sitting). So maybe you'll find that too?

For other sweet things there's Starburst (which is actually relatively low in sugar for a sweet. So if you get one of the tubes rather than the big bags then they won't do too much harm). I've never had them but I think you can get sugar-free jelly beans. And I like fruit winders for something sweet (6g of sugar and 67 calories in a double roll!).

Dried fruit is something you could consider. It's more sweet like than normal fruit but it has a much higher sugar/calorie density. However it is more nutritious than a packet of sweets.

For crisps you can look for things that are baked not fried. Walkers do a baked selection which have 3g of fat per bag compared to the usual 10g. Vegetable crisps can also be great. A brand called Yushoi do 'pea snacks' which are really hard to describe (they're like....crispy baked pea pods that are kinda like chipsticks?) which I'm obsessed with at the moment. They're 88 calories a pack and 2.9g of fat. You can get them at most of the main supermarkets. Aldi do their own version of them although I don't know the nutrition for them. They also do lentil curls which I haven't tried but they sound like they could be a good crisp alternative.

As for chocolate I think your best bet is to try and get dark chocolate. I don't think there is such a thing as low calorie, low fat chocolate but dark chocolate uses less sugar than white or milk (white chocolate is basically cocoa flavoured sugar and milk!). You get more nutrients per gram with dark chocolate due to higher cocoa densities. I also find that dark chocolate is quite heavy and I can't eat as much dark chocolate as I can milk chocolate (I can easily eat enough milk chocolate for 5 people in one sitting). So maybe you'll find that too?

For other sweet things there's Starburst (which is actually relatively low in sugar for a sweet. So if you get one of the tubes rather than the big bags then they won't do too much harm). I've never had them but I think you can get sugar-free jelly beans. And I like fruit winders for something sweet (6g of sugar and 67 calories in a double roll!).

Dried fruit is something you could consider. It's more sweet like than normal fruit but it has a much higher sugar/calorie density. However it is more nutritious than a packet of sweets.
    Ah thank you so much!

so yesterday was good except for one thing.. I had a lot of mayonise. I ate tuna twice yesterday and put a lot of mayo so it can taste nice. And it isn’t a low fat mayo. I think I need to go shopping for my own.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.