The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

What is a collegiate uni

Would someone be able to explain what a collegiate university is, and if there are any significant advantages or disadvantages to them? I'm looking at Durham but am not sure if this type of system would suit me. Thanks for any help
It’s just a university that has colleges like Oxford and Cambridge do. I guess advantages could be that you feel part of something and there’s a lot of events they normally put on within the colleges.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
There are only a few unis with a college approach - oxbridge, Durham and York spring to mind. Your college is your accommodation in the first year and often for your last year (students go into private accommodation in the middle year).

What makes it different is that it’s your ‘social home’ for all your time at uni - organising events, parties, sports, clubs etc.

There are also uni level clubs. For example, at Durham, you can row for your college (as a beginner or having some experience). They will compete in their own right with other unis and other colleges. There is also a uni level rowing team for the most experienced rowers that is at a very high standard.

The college system means it’s easier to get involved and more personal, when compared to, say, a large uni that has one big student union.

Whilst the colleges are the social centres, people still have friends and course mates in other colleges.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending