The Student Room Group

Why is speeding not taboo?

Attitudes towards drink driving have completely transform over the past 20/30 years. While they never did it, both my parents and grandparents claimed that it wasn't uncommon for people to sink a few pints and not think twice about driving home after. Now, although it still happens, there is a lot more shame around it. Why isn't this the same with speeding?

Three times as many people were killed last year due to speeding than drink driving.

So why do you think speeding isn't taboo? And why do people speed?
To get around quicker.
Well it isn't that dangerous, it's very easy to do accidentally and it is taboo, there's a huge number of self-righteous drivers out there that like to hog lanes and get triggered if you dare go faster than them.
Reply 3
More powerful/quieter cars mean people don't notice they're speeding?

Ultimately, not enough responsibility is given to the driver. I think punishments could be harsher. If a driver knew that they would lose the ability to drive for a year on their first speeding offense then they might pay more attention to the speedometer. Just giving people who break the speed limits fines almost reduces how serious an issue it is.
Theres nothing inherently dangerous about going above the speed limit, it’s an arbitrary limit in many cases.
As above, I think - it's not inherently dangerous to speed if you're still driving in a controlled manner. Drunk driving on the other hand, you're unable to handle the vehicle safely in the vast majority of cases.
Thread has it pretty much right. Speed above the arbitrary limits decided in the 60s that widely apply isn't inherently dangerous.

People 'speed' to get where they're going in a reasonable time, which can very often be done with no risk to anyone unless you combine it with being an idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending