highonspeed
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello,
I've just finished my first year of undergraduate studies in BA (Did Mathematics/Philosophy/Classics/French). I'm thinking of changing my major to Comp Sci (I happen to have done the maths course for it).

But, if I remain in BA my postgrad will be MA (right?) and not many places offer MA in Comp Sci. So, would it be better to change to BSC now *or* Continue under BA then do a 'bridging ?' course postgrad from MA to MSC ?

Slight note, I originally applied to science faculty and didn't get in as I did not meet the minimum marks required. However, I did do quite well in the Mathematics course I did which should weigh a bit.

So should I try and transfer to science department and graduate with a BSC or would it be easier (?) to finish my BA degree then do a course which allows me to do BSC?

Thanks!
Rubin
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by highonspeed)
Hello,
I've just finished my first year of undergraduate studies in BA (Did Mathematics/Philosophy/Classics/French). I'm thinking of changing my major to Comp Sci (I happen to have done the maths course for it).

But, if I remain in BA my postgrad will be MA (right?) and not many places offer MA in Comp Sci. So, would it be better to change to BSC now *or* Continue under BA then do a 'bridging ?' course postgrad from MA to MSC ?

Slight note, I originally applied to science faculty and didn't get in as I did not meet the minimum marks required. However, I did do quite well in the Mathematics course I did which should weigh a bit.

So should I try and transfer to science department and graduate with a BSC or would it be easier (?) to finish my BA degree then do a course which allows me to do BSC?

Thanks!
Rubin
Is this through the American system?
highonspeed
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Is this through the American system?
I am studying in South Africa, I don't think it follows the american system but im not entirely sure
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am studying in South Africa, I don't think it follows the american system but im not entirely sure
Well this is a UK site and things are very different here. You want to look at places that offer a masters in comp sci and work out what South African requirements they have and go from there.
highonspeed
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Well this is a UK site and things are very different here. You want to look at places that offer a masters in comp sci and work out what South African requirements they have and go from there.
Oh, I was under the impression that once you've completed under graduate studies in a certain field you can pretty much apply to any University in the world for post graduate studies
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh, I was under the impression that once you've completed under graduate studies in a certain field you can pretty much apply to any University in the world for post graduate studies
Not necessarily as each uni will have different entry requirements and undergrad degrees from different countries are of different quality. Unis will have specific requirements for applicants from different countries.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your postgrad will be whatever you apply for. Just because you have a BA won't necessarily prevent you studying a MSc, assuming you meet all the entry requirements. If this were in the UK I'd say don't bother trying to swap anything, but you're in SA so things might be different.
highonspeed
Rep:
?
Ah okay, mainly posted here because I lived in England most my life and intend to do my post grad in England so was wondering which is best option
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ah okay, mainly posted here because I lived in England most my life and intend to do my post grad in England so was wondering which is best option
If you're certain you want to go on to a postgrad degree then work backwards: what postgrad course do you want to do? What undergrad course will help you get there?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.77%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
13.21%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
15.09%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
11.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (21)
39.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (9)
16.98%

Watched Threads