Shakespeare's Othello Watch

maytekin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Why is Othello considered as a tragedy? I need to write an essay about it by touch the points: his free will and hierarchical values. Please help me
artful_lounger
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_tragedy
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by maytekin)
Why is Othello considered as a tragedy? I need to write an essay about it by touch the points: his free will and hierarchical values. Please help me
A tragedy, by definition, tells a serious and sad story and often ends in the death of the main protagonist. Does that ring any bells?
maytekin
Rep:
?
I need to write it by mentioning his free will and hierarchical values. Do you have any essay about it? I am from Turkey and my mother language is Turkish. Please help me
wallflowerannie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Shakespeare arguably used his free will to create political and emotional change. You could say tragedy has the power to create catharsis, a form of emotional release. The society Shakespeare was in was quite traditional and didn’t favour anything non conventional, and the representation of tragedy can be considered to create political change through catharsis, as the audience will be led to think about the events that have occurred. You could say tragedy can be didactic, meaning it can teach moral lessons. Maybe Shakespeare used his free will to use tragedy as a tool for political change? In Othello, Iago plays on and shatters the hierarchalvalues, especially in his defiling of Othello and Cassio, high up members in society, highlighting ‘Othello’ even more as a tragedy. I hope this helped in any way!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
maytekin
Rep:
?
(Original post by wallflowerannie)
Shakespeare arguably used his free will to create political and emotional change. You could say tragedy has the power to create catharsis, a form of emotional release. The society Shakespeare was in was quite traditional and didn’t favour anything non conventional, and the representation of tragedy can be considered to create political change through catharsis, as the audience will be led to think about the events that have occurred. You could say tragedy can be didactic, meaning it can teach moral lessons. Maybe Shakespeare used his free will to use tragedy as a tool for political change? In Othello, Iago plays on and shatters the hierarchalvalues, especially in his defiling of Othello and Cassio, high up members in society, highlighting ‘Othello’ even more as a tragedy. I hope this helped in any way!!

Thank you for your help I need an outline about it. Can you help me
wallflowerannie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Of course!! By outline, do you mean for an essay? ☺️
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?