The Student Room Group

Car accident

Hi
I was running an errand in my mums car and accidental drove into back of someone’s car whilst stationary. I am not insured on my mums car. They wish to go through insurance even after I offered to pay to get damage fixed. What should I do? What will happen now ? I’m losing my mind

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pavvirk
Hi
I was running an errand in my mums car and accidental drove into back of someone’s car whilst stationary. I am not insured on my mums car. They wish to go through insurance even after I offered to pay to get damage fixed. What should I do? What will happen now ? I’m losing my mind

I hope the lesson has been learned why it’s illegal to drive without being insured.
I would insist the same if it happened to me because legally the insurance company should know about any accident.

Good luck, you’re gonna need it!
Also your Mum might be partly to blame for allowing you to drive her car when she knows you’re not insured.
Original post by pavvirk
Hi

Not a lot you can do, you will have to face the consquences of your actions.
Reply 3
Original post by pavvirk
Hi

You'll be getting 6 points on your licence, which if you've had it for less than 2 years means a revocation; you'll be doing your test again! You'll also receive a hefty fine.

Your mum can do one of two things: say she didn't give you permission and you'll be charged with TWOC, or say she did give you permission and she'll be given an IN12 endorsement which is 6-8 points on her licence.

Both of your premiums will skyrocket as a result.

You've made a really stupid mistake, but rest assured, you will be punished for it.
Original post by pavvirk
Hi

you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Ray_Shadows
you'll be fine :smile:

How so? Reckon the OP has connections at MI5 who can just make this... go away? :laugh:
Original post by IWMTom
How so? Reckon the OP has connections at MI5 who can just make this... go away? :laugh:

no i just felt a little bad that's all
Reply 7
no i just felt a little bad that's all

A large percentage of our yearly premiums is based upon the number of uninsured drivers we have in this country. The likes of the OP are the reason insurance renewals can be eye watering.

They do not deserve your sympathy.
Original post by IWMTom
A large percentage of our yearly premiums is based upon the number of uninsured drivers we have in this country. The likes of the OP are the reason insurance renewals can be eye watering.

They do not deserve your sympathy.

hmmm true , so whats gonna happen exactly
Reply 9
hmmm true , so whats gonna happen exactly

See above. They won't be driving for a while, that's for sure.
Well done
Original post by carrotstar
I hope the lesson has been learned why it’s illegal to drive without being insured.
I would insist the same if it happened to me because legally the insurance company should know about any accident.

Good luck, you’re gonna need it!
Also your Mum might be partly to blame for allowing you to drive her car when she knows you’re not insured.

I really don’t get people who insist on going through insurance. What is there to gain from it? Unless it’s a write off, your car can get fixed and no ones premium has to go up.
Reply 12
Original post by anonymousm3
I really don’t get people who insist on going through insurance. What is there to gain from it? Unless it’s a write off, your car can get fixed and no ones premium has to go up.

It's your right to do so, that's why!
Original post by IWMTom
It's your right to do so, that's why!

But you still gain nothing from it apart from costing the other party a lot of money... Unless the other driver was being really dodgy or confrontational, I wouldn’t even think of going through insurance.

When people go through insurance, write-off or not it's a guaranteed start and end to the whole scenario. If someone rear ends me, my premium's going to go up even if it wasn't my fault; however I'd be an absolute idiot to put myself in their pocket waiting for them to personally pay out. I'd rather just suck it up and deal with the consequences.

OP - if you've had your license for less than 2 years, have fun in court and at the test centre. This may sound brutal but people like you are the reason I coughed up almost 3 grand for my first year's insurance.

So what you’re saying is that you should blame the innocent party for claiming. Which, bear in mind, is well within their rights!

OP deserves everything which’ll teach him/her a lesson. Uninsured drivers are what make innocent drivers, like you and me, pay more for our premiums!
Original post by RoyalSheepy
So what you’re saying is that you should blame the innocent party for claiming. Which, bear in mind, is well within their rights!

OP deserves everything which’ll teach him/her a lesson. Uninsured drivers are what make innocent drivers, like you and me, pay more for our premiums!

The black box is so annoying just to reduce the premium costs and insurance costs for next year! Its like being on parole and someone is getting paid to watch your every move!
Offer to pay twice as much or warn them you will be very, very upset if they ruin your life.
Reply 18
Original post by TheJohnM
Offer to pay twice as much or warn them you will be very, very upset if they ruin your life.

Yeah.. I'm sure bribery and threatening behaviour is the answer..
Original post by IWMTom
Yeah.. I'm sure bribery and threatening behaviour is the answer..

Not knowing how much the damage is so just randomly giving them money isn't bribery. I'm also certain that mentioning to someone you'll be upset if they do something isn't "threatening behaviour. I can tell you aren't a law student, boy.

Quick Reply

Latest