Turn on thread page Beta

what would you change in the education system? watch

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I read an article talking about how schools for teenagers shouldn't start before 10am because, due our biological clock, it requires a large amount of energy for us to function early in the morning. However, most schools start at around 8 or 9, so that's something that I would like to see change for sure (in case you didn't realise by now, I'm really not a morning person).

So that got me thinking, what else should be changed? I know you guys will have a lot to say on this, seeing as most of us students have to put up with the education system 5 days a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofsferr02)
    Yesterday I read an article talking about how schools for teenagers shouldn't start before 10am because, due our biological clock, it requires a large amount of energy for us to function early in the morning. However, most schools start at around 8 or 9, so that's something that I would like to see change for sure (in case you didn't realise by now, I'm really not a morning person).

So that got me thinking, what else should be changed? I know you guys will have a lot to say on this, seeing as most of us students have to put up with the education system 5 days a week.
    Homework would be :banned:!

ReputationRep:

Not specifically concerning the education system but university applications in the sense that you will only be allowed to apply to uni with actual grades and not predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohit_Rocks10)
    Not specifically concerning the education system but university applications in the sense that you will only be allowed to apply to uni with actual grades and not predicted grades.
    I think that would make more sense as well, but I also understand why they use predicted grades. I mean you only get your A-level results back in August and university starts in September so the people working for the admissions office would die trying to sort everything out in such short a time.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

I have moved this into the Educational Debate section, my take on this is most jobs start around 8 or 9am so I don't see why school times should change. Those teenagers will just have to get themselves out of bed a bit early in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    I have moved this into the Educational Debate section, my take on this is most jobs start around 8 or 9am so I don't see why school times should change. Those teenagers will just have to get themselves out of bed a bit early in the morning.
    thank you!

also, I knew someone would say that, but as John Lennon would say "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one"

ReputationRep:
    I think that would make more sense as well, but I also understand why they use predicted grades. I mean you only get your A-level results back in August and university starts in September so the people working for the admissions office would die trying to sort everything out in such short a time.
    That is actually trueee!! Never thought of that, haha!

ReputationRep:
    There should be more homework and if not done then there should be harsher punishments. Maybe like a detention during their lunch break and not after school. And I think colleges should start no earlier than 11 because getting to school when it’s 8am is really annoying as the buses are very packed and they pass you if it’s too packed so you become late.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see what would happen if taking a gap year between A Levels and uni was compulsory, so predicted grades were abolished and you could only apply to uni once you have secured A Level results. I could see pros and cons with this happening but I'd like to see it actually in practise, it's obviously not a massive disadvantage starting uni a year after you finished A Levels as many students take gap years and then successfully move onto their degree

ReputationRep:
    I would have secondary school start later as the OP has hinted at. This would be alongside not putting the clocks back in winter. Apart from being more in tune with teenager's sleep patterns, it would reduce traffic levels and pollution at 9am in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    The workload for teachers needs to be lightened. This is more relevant for primary schools where a system of constant observations and paperwork piled on teachers by phase leaders has been implemented. If the DoE decided to get rid of the unnecessary paperwork teachers have to do, there wouldn't be such a big problem in retaining good teachers.

ReputationRep:
    Make languages more enforced from a younger age.
    Personal finance and other imperative life skills as important as core subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymousm3)
    Make languages more enforced from a younger age.
    Personal finance and other imperative life skills as important as core subjects.
    That's one of the issues that concerns me about the education system as well. Sure we learn about what happened to Henry VIII and what a halogen is, but why is no one teaching us how to take care of insurance, taxes and all that essential stuff?? 100% agree with you on that.

ReputationRep:

The fact that they want you to decide what your planning to do for the rest of your life when your 17/18. And yes you can change if you don't like the course but would you actually when the university fees are rising?! I know so many of my friends who actually have no clue what to do in uni or college and we have to choose and decide what we will do for the rest of our lives at such young age... i mean no pressure at all!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lak11)
    The fact that they want you to decide what your planning to do for the rest of your life when your 17/18. And yes you can change if you don't like the course but would you actually when the university fees are rising?! I know so many of my friends who actually have no clue what to do in uni or college and we have to choose and decide what we will do for the rest of our lives at such young age... i mean no pressure at all!!!
    Yeah I know it's mad!

Choosing your A-levels at 15/16 as well - aka the the most 'teen' years of a person's life, when decisions are harder to make than ever, especially ones which will greatly impact your future, especially when you can only choose about 3 subjects and limit your options so much - is a bit much.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know it's mad!

Choosing your A-levels at 15/16 as well - aka the the most 'teen' years of a person's life, when decisions are harder to make than ever, especially ones which will greatly impact your future, especially when you can only choose about 3 subjects and limit your options so much - is a bit much.
    Isn't it? Then the government goes "Look there's rising figures for depression and other mental illnesses in teenagers" and what's the solution? " Let's just make the GCSE and A-LEVEL course harder!"

ReputationRep:
    That's one of the issues that concerns me about the education system as well. Sure we learn about what happened to Henry VIII and what a halogen is, but why is no one teaching us how to take care of insurance, taxes and all that essential stuff?? 100% agree with you on that.
    I would:

1. Change the structure of exams and university application.
    2. Have A-level exams in Jan/Feb of the Upper VI. Results would be ready by March/April
    3. Everyone would then apply to UCAS electronically as soon as the results come out with confirmed grades.
    4. After exams, VI Formers stay on until May/June and do exactly those kind of life skills courses which is straight pass/fail based on attendance and a 60% passmark on tests. If you don't pass this, you don't pass your A-levels.
    5. A-levels would be shorter, and have less content, but this is in exchange for certainty. Also, they could be capped at 3 A-levels (no more halves or 4 or 5 A-levels) freeing up curriculum time to pack more in.

ReputationRep:
    Children should only be allowed in school when they have learnt to read, write and behave themselves. They should be educated until they are 14 years old and then given a year in the workplace. They should then be interviewed and would need to give a valid reason why they should return to education. Those that fail to give a valid reason should be given another opportunity at 20 years of age.

ReputationRep:
    Reintroduce a similar qualification to the Advanced Extension Award for extremely gifted students. More like STEP for maths, but with subjects like chemistry, physics or even english etc., as opposed to AEA that didn't feel much more than trickier A-level questions. (at least this was the case for maths) I would have there be two papers, one that could be taken at the end of year 12, (this could also be taken by gifted year 11 students I suppose) the other at the end of year 13. This could form part of a conditional offer similar to how AEA did, for more competitive universities. Grading could be simple; something like pass, merit and distinction, perhaps with a pass or merit roughly aligned at A* level performance at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    More coding and foreign languages.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.