History degree- how do i prepare myself for my personal statement/refs Watch

eudokias
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to do a hist. degree, im curious to know what the best things to do are in order to prepare myself to 'shine' on the P.S.... so far I'm a volunteer @ a veterans organisation, dont know how thats of any relevance, and have attended a history summer school course.. what else is there to do? work experience wise, and anything else for that matter
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by eudokias)
I want to do a hist. degree, im curious to know what the best things to do are in order to prepare myself to 'shine' on the P.S.... so far I'm a volunteer @ a veterans organisation, dont know how thats of any relevance, and have attended a history summer school course.. what else is there to do? work experience wise, and anything else for that matter
For uk universities you’re focus should be on history. Research degree courses thoroughly (a lot of people apply with a PS focused on ancient history to degrees that are 100% modern and vice versa) so that you apply to courses that match your interests.

Online moocs, books, documentaries, visits to historical places/museums, work/volunteering in conservation and heritage, research from original sources etc will all help but all of these activities should be about you following your genuine interests.
UoN Team
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can talk about why you have applied for the subject - what sparked your interest in it and why does it interest you. From your history summer school you could say what you learnt on it and how you can apply it to the degree/university - why does it make you an excellent candidate for the course?

Do you have any hobbies and interests that can demonstrate your skills and abilities?

Hopefully this is a good starter for ten!

In case you're interested, here's the history degree we offer: http://bit.ly/HistoryBA
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Find a few periods of history that really interest you, and read books/magazine articles & watch documentaries about them.

What periods of history are you interested in? I might be able to make some recommendations of good books to read (I'm a current History student)
EstelOfTheEyrie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All the suggestions above are great for a history personal statement. I've applied for history undergraduate degrees, and have received offers from universities such as KCL, Oxford Brookes, and Birmingham.

The key thing I did when writing my personal statement was set out the P.S in sections, but also finding a piece of each which linked with the next. For example, my first paragraph was talking about my fascination with the Library of Alexandria and World War One, but linking visits to local museums and trips with my school/college/family and expanded upon them that made up the second paragraph which talked about extra reading and documentaries I'd watched.

Especially for more 'selective' universities, the main focus of the P.S should be about the course and your reasoning for taking it - rather than you; you're more than welcome to add information about yourself and your hobbies, but try to keep them relevant to the course. (E.g. I included my archery competitions and interest in gaming as most of the games are history based - think Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (76)
23.75%
No (244)
76.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise