Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ' In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. '

too long?? should i cut it?? :confused:
    btw this is for english .....in case there were any doubts.

ReputationRep:
    no not long at all....a ps for english is clearly a test of how well u write and how engrossingly....so i'd say just let it b...

ReputationRep:
    I very much like that quote. I think it is a safe bet, provided you have a strong follow up line, such as: English appeals to me, because it allows us to... blah blah.

Gl with your statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    I very much like that quote. I think it is a safe bet, provided you have a strong follow up line, such as: English appeals to me, because it allows us to... blah blah.

Gl with your statement.

It's good; different but not in negative way. I'd definitely keep it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its definately a good start and would want to make the reader read on..

ReputationRep:
    by the way guys that is not a quote by me !its one i found through hours of endless browsing i think its by some old Canadian senator ! should i write down who its by or just simply put it down with quotation marks?

ReputationRep:
    it is a really interesting quote, and i agree with the jist of it completely (will be doing english myself) but i am a bit wary of quotes in personal statements as it kind of suggests that you aren't articulate enough yourself, and it lessens the personal aspect of what is meant to be a really individual thing.
    then again i completely agree with it so i wanted to read more about this person who has the same motivation... but i wouldn't have included it in mine

ReputationRep:
    That's cool, but

In a real sense
    doesn't actually mean anything.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mxox)
    ' In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. '

too long?? should i cut it?? :confused:
    btw this is for english .....in case there were any doubts.
    It's good, but a bit long. If you need more space you might want to see if you can find a shorter quote that says the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who read that and thought..cut the crap, get to the point...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    Am I the only one who read that and thought..cut the crap, get to the point...?
    Nope, you weren't

ReputationRep:
    the idea works but it would be better in your own words.

too many personal statements start with "i like (subject) because ........ my favourite topic is (topic) because........." etc.

i think starting with a sentence about a particular topic, rather than saying why you like a topic, is engaging. not only is it saying that you like *a* topic, but its actually proving what you know about that topic. youre starting with something which isnt about you, but is about the admissions tutor's subject. youll be showing them *why* something is fascinating to you, not simply that it "just is".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Nope, you weren't
    Good to know

ReputationRep:
    ok thanx for the feedback guys!! so how do u think i could make it better in my own words??

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.