The Student Room Group

Makeup brands

What good and cheap makeup brands do you use? Can you recommend something good to a 15 year old teen? I have a lot of pores on my face and when I apply foundation or concealer, they look really cakey and bad so is there anyway to prevent this? Thanks!
Original post by Jenella
What good and cheap makeup brands do you use? Can you recommend something good to a 15 year old teen? I have a lot of pores on my face and when I apply foundation or concealer, they look really cakey and bad so is there anyway to prevent this? Thanks!

Actually just recently found this brand but MUA (make up academy) is really good and soooo cheap. Bought lipsticks for £1 each and after spending £10 (no joke bought 4 lipsticks, 2 eyeshadow pots and one highlighter cream with that money) I got a free eyeshadow palette.
no 7 is fairly cheap and I quite like their foundation
Might be worth waiting to see if any of the more expensive brands have big Boxing Day sales where you can get really good products for cheap
Original post by Jenella

About the cakeyness:

1. I suggest you find a good primer. For really porous skin, Benefit's PoreFessional is very good, give it a try.

2. DON'T OVERDO IT WITH SETTING POWDER! I personally don't use any at all, opt for a setting spray instead. It will hold your makeup and make it looks more fresh and dewy, rather than cakey and heavy.

3. Blotting tissue throughout the day will prevent your skin from getting oily and so it won't get even more cakey

4. Try to find the right foundation for you - one that isn't too heavy and works for your skin texture.

5. Apply only a thin layer of foundation. Then, target specific areas which need coverage with concealer instead of having a think layer all over (I know it make seem a bit obvious). also try to find a stretchy concealer, so that it adapts to your skin and doesn't look heavy or cracked. a good one is NYX's concealer jar or Revlon Photoready.

6. Try mixing a small drop of essential oil in your foundation before applying, so it looks lighter and more dewy. it will also moisturise your face.

7. Try using cream products instead of powder - blush, highlighter, contour, you name it. Creamy versions won't make your skin cakey like the powders.

8. Use a beauty blender or a sponge to apply your foundation. Dampen it before using, it will help your foundation look lighter and more natural and it really allows you to blend it well.

Hope that helps!
Freedom is pretty good, also NYX or Sleek. Honestly drug store make up has stepped up so much recently. I know it can be hard if you have problematic skin and also if you’re used to wearing it, but maybe try going lighter with the base and let your natural skin show, I rarely wear foundation and I like the Rimmel match perfection concealer as well as sometimes the Collection concealer
Original post by daisydaniel
Freedom is pretty good, also NYX or Sleek. Honestly drug store make up has stepped up so much recently. I know it can be hard if you have problematic skin and also if you’re used to wearing it, but maybe try going lighter with the base and let your natural skin show, I rarely wear foundation and I like the Rimmel match perfection concealer as well as sometimes the Collection concealer

Eeeeyyyy those are the concealers I use.
Have you heard of The Ordinary? They have a couple of foundations, a more full coverage one and a sheer one. They're really cheap but a good foundation! You can buy them on Beauty Bay or Cult Beauty (though they sell out a lot). You could try a primer to help with your pores. I quite like the Maybelline baby skin one! For concealer I usually use the Collection lasting perfection concealer which is great. To help prevent a cakey appearance you could try applying setting powder with a damp beauty sponge (the Real Techniques one is great), and maybe try a more dewy setting spray like the NYX one :smile:
You need to wear primer before you apply your base of foundation and concealer x
Reply 9
My favourite brands are L'Oreal, Sleek, Makeup Revolution and Morphe. I also love The Body Shop's liquid lipsticks so much.

I'm not sure if the cakeyness is because of your pores. I have a lot of pores and my foundation sometimes emphasises them, but I don't get cakeyness because of them.

If I were you, I'd take a look at the makeup being used. What foundation are you using? Is it a cream or liquid formula? How many layers do you apply? Do you use too much powder? As someone had already mentioned before me, use a dampened makeup sponge to apply your foundation and if you see any cakeyness at that stage, take away that excess product with the sponge. If you take away some of the coverage then use some concealer or next time colour correct before applying foundation (or just don't apply anything- you don't need to have "flawless" skin and you can have some redness peeking through, it's not the end of the world, especially if your face powder is tinted too). If the cakeyness appears when you apply powder then the powder may not be milled enough or you're applying too much. Make sure the powder you're using is a setting powder and not a powder foundation (throwback to when I was fourteen and didn't realise the difference between the two, whoops). If you can afford it, use primer (improves the skin's texture and makes foundation last longer) and setting spray (good for when you've applied too much powder by accident).

As a fellow makeup user with a lotta pores, I recommend a good skin care routine to prevent your pores from becoming blackheads. Make sure to moisturise before applying foundation- especially if you don't use a primer. The moisturiser will act as a barrier between your skin and your foundation. Sometimes your skin will overproduce oil because it's too dry, so moisturiser will also combat that. I recommend L'Oreal Infallible mattifying primer or the Nude Magique Blur Cream. I feel like they prevent my foundation from over emphasising my pores.
Reply 10
Thanks for all of your help!

Quick Reply

Latest