Plagiarism of personal statement - Unis want a new one Watch

liamd2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My personal statement got flagged by UCAS for 30% plagiarism, and I’ve been offered chances by two universities (economics and management) to re-submit a ‘new personal statement in your own words and not in the form of a given template’ etc...

Does this mean I have to re-submit a new, 100% different personal statement or can I just simply remove the plagiarised sentences and leave the 70% of the statement I actually originally wrote??
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by liamd2)
My personal statement got flagged by UCAS for 30% plagiarism, and I’ve been offered chances by two universities (economics and management) to re-submit a ‘new personal statement in your own words and not in the form of a given template’ etc...

Does this mean I have to re-submit a new, 100% different personal statement or can I just simply remove the plagiarised sentences and leave the 70% of the statement I actually originally wrote??
Your answer indicates you know you plagiarised. behaviour like that will have you thrown out of university.

You could resubmit with the 30% changed, but I would go further as they have now seen it all and your original content is reasonably tainted because of your high plagiarism %.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Given that theyve been gracious enough to let you try again after you tried to cheat them i would submit a brand new one. I imagine they would take a dim look on you simply changing the bits you got busted on.
liamd2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Given that theyve been gracious enough to let you try again after you tried to cheat them i would submit a brand new one. I imagine they would take a dim look on you simply changing the bits you got busted on.
Thank you for both of your replies, I appreciate it. The reason I got plagiarised was because I followed my brothers structure, adapting it to my course and achievements. However, the structure and a few similar words was caught out - not long sentences. But it was worth enough to be flagged which is fair enough - my stupid fault.

So, what you are both suggesting is to change more than what got plagiarised ? Because the 70% I wrote was original and is quite good, and 100% truthful. None of the sentences expressing my passion and desire in wanting to study the course was plagiarised- it was only the sentences in between describing my sporting achievements and other achievements (me and brother have both played for West Ham academy, so we both had the exact same sentence). If I were to change, let’s say, 60% of the statement, would this be okay. Because it would still be 100% my original work if so.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for both of your replies, I appreciate it. The reason I got plagiarised was because I followed my brothers structure, adapting it to my course and achievements. However, the structure and a few similar words was caught out - not long sentences. But it was worth enough to be flagged which is fair enough - my stupid fault.

So, what you are both suggesting is to change more than what got plagiarised ? Because the 70% I wrote was original and is quite good, and 100% truthful. None of the sentences expressing my passion and desire in wanting to study the course was plagiarised- it was only the sentences in between describing my sporting achievements and other achievements (me and brother have both played for West Ham academy, so we both had the exact same sentence). If I were to change, let’s say, 60% of the statement, would this be okay. Because it would still be 100% my original work if so.
Whilst i can sympathise with loosing the original work i think it would be best. That is not to say you should necessarily do a completely clean sheet but some fundamental changes, as it were, to show that you are not simply doing the least possible work just because you were caught out.
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But it was worth enough to be flagged which is fair enough - my stupid fault..
You seem strangely calm about your PS being flagged for plagiarism... If I were in your position I'd be freaking out!
liamd2
Rep:
?
(Original post by CTLevers)
You seem strangely calm about your PS being flagged for plagiarism... If I were in your position I'd be freaking out!
Trust me, I am. But I looked at the procedures taken by my universities- Loughborough ask for a student to re-submit and Lancaster have sent me an email for me to send another personal statement. Before I got those emails, I was definitely.
ppdtg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CTLevers)
same wtf i took inspiration without even copying from loads i found online and was ******** it thinking they’d say i plagiarised :-0
liamd2
Rep:
?
(Original post by ppdtg)
same wtf i took inspiration without even copying from loads i found online and was ******** it thinking they’d say i plagiarised :-0
Depends on the uni- despite being flagged, I’ve got an offer of AAB from Manchester for economics and business, and Loughborough and Lancaster offered me to resubmit ... bare strange
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

You've been given a second chance. Treat the universities with the same courtesy and respect they have extended to you.

Write a new PS from scratch. Properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ppdtg
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on the uni- despite being flagged, I’ve got an offer of AAB from Manchester for economics and business, and Loughborough and Lancaster offered me to resubmit ... bare strange
madness, good luck tho man!! i guess it’s taught u to never ever use anyone else’s **** ever again (even if they let u)

they’ll prob let u in... hopefully
liamd2
Rep:
?
(Original post by ppdtg)
madness, good luck tho man!! i guess it’s taught u to never ever use anyone else’s **** ever again (even if they let u)

they’ll prob let u in... hopefully
Yeahh trust me mate... Hopefully I do
ppdtg
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeahh trust me mate... Hopefully I do
oh and btw. best start from scratch imo, they given u another chance so best just start again hahahaha
icequeenTM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
You've been given a second chance. Treat the universities with the same courtesy and respect they have extended to you.

Write a new PS from scratch. Properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice response.
liamd2
Rep:
?
(Original post by icequeenTM)
Nice response.
Yep to be fair, that’s exactly right. I’ll make a new one tomorrow and throughout the next couple of days. Thanks to everyone for your help & guidance, appreciate it.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

lol I would play it safe and write a whole new one.
Huw M Thomas
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's refreshing to witness someone getting caught and just admitting it.
username3319910
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

If I were you I wouldn’t even try to use your brother’s structure. There is no ideal structure for a personal statement, no matter what people say. If you write one that is different to the others, it will make it more memorable and is likely to stand out to admissions.
liamd2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jellybean2559)
If I were you I wouldn’t even try to use your brother’s structure. There is no ideal structure for a personal statement, no matter what people say. If you write one that is different to the others, it will make it more memorable and is likely to stand out to admissions.
Very true. I’m currently writing it all again now, using only a few sentences from my old one, but trying to write it all from scratch again.
username3319910
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Very true. I’m currently writing it all again now, using only a few sentences from my old one, but trying to write it all from scratch again.
That’s good to hear. Good luck, hope you ge some offers despite what’s happened
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (54)
31.4%
No I don't (84)
48.84%
I work during the holidays (34)
19.77%

Watched Threads