Zonyali123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Name:  IMG_9345.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  527.4 KBHow would you answer this question? Please give me the answer step by step with the method.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zonyali123)
Name:  IMG_9345.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  527.4 KBHow would you answer this question? Please give me the answer step by step with the method.
If I asked you to shade in the parts of the table that fulfill the conditions specified, would that help?
Zonyali123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
If I asked you to shade in the parts of the table that fulfill the conditions specified, would that help?
What do you mean?
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do you mean?
Grab a pencil and look at the table given cell by cell until you spot the pattern.

Let's look at the top left cell, the A* in both subjects cell. Does it satisfy the condition specified in the question about the grade difference? If yes, shade it. If not, move on in any direction (e.g.) move one cell right.

Keep doing this until you can shade in all the relevant parts from the table.
Zonyali123
Rep:
?
Grab a pencil and look at the table given cell by cell until you spot the pattern.

Let's look at the top left cell, the A* in both subjects cell. Does it satisfy the condition specified in the question about the grade difference? If yes, shade it. If not, move on in any direction (e.g.) move one cell right.

I'm getting 13% which I think is wrong.
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm getting 13% which I think is wrong.
What was your method? What was the final calculation?

By my calculation you are out by a small amount.
Zonyali123
Rep:
?
What was your method? What was the final calculation?

By my calculation you are out by a small amount.
I think I've done it wrong. I don't know how to do it. Please explain.
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think I've done it wrong. I don't know how to do it. Please explain.
Please ask me specific questions. Read the post below first then ask if you are unsure of what it means or if you have found the answer.

Let's look at the top left cell, the A* in both subjects cell. Does it satisfy the condition specified in the question about the grade difference(grade in English being at least 2 more than grade in music) If yes, shade it. If not, move on in any direction (e.g.) move one cell right and ask the same question

Zonyali123
Rep:
?
Please ask me specific questions. Read the post below first then ask if you are unsure of what it means or if you have found the answer.
I don't know how to read the graph.
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't know how to read the graph.
No probelm.

The table lists 6 GCSE grades, A*-E.

Forgetting about the table for a minute, let's say you take two subjects, English and Music, and 100 people from your year who all take both English and Music.

Now, let's say the grades range from A*-E in both subjects. So any student could have anything like:
A* in English and A* in music (A*, A*) - a really smart chap.
A* in English and E in music (A*, E) - someone like me who has no hand-eye co-ordination
C in English and A* in music (C,A*) -

So if you think about it, there are 36 combinations of grades possible (6*6). The number isn't important but it's their existence that matters. This also takes into account that (A*,C) is interpreted as A* in English, C in Music, whereas (C,A*) is C in English, A* in Music.

This is what the table is representing.

You have GCSE Music at the top of the table. The columns (the ones that go up and down) represent the grades in Music. The rows (the ones that go left and right) are for GCSE English.

So if you look at the top left cell (entry) which has the number '4' in it, it's the intersection of a row and a column. Which row and column is it? It's the column A* in Music and A* in Maths. We interpret this as 4 people having an A* in both subjects.

Let's go one cell to the right. It's in the A column for music but still in the A* column for English, so we say that 5 people got an A in music and A* in English.

So what does the cell with '19' in it represent?
Zonyali123
Rep:
?
No probelm.

The table lists 6 GCSE grades, A*-E.

Forgetting about the table for a minute, let's say you take two subjects, English and Music, and 100 people from your year who all take both English and Music.

Now, let's say the grades range from A*-E in both subjects. So any student could have anything like:
A* in English and A* in music (A*, A*) - a really smart chap.
A* in English and E in music (A*, E) - someone like me who has no hand-eye co-ordination
C in English and A* in music (C,A*) -

So if you think about it, there are 36 combinations of grades possible (6*6). The number isn't important but it's their existence that matters. This also takes into account that (A*,C) is interpreted as A* in English, C in Music, whereas (C,A*) is C in English, A* in Music.

This is what the table is representing.

You have GCSE Music at the top of the table. The columns (the ones that go up and down) represent the grades in Music. The rows (the ones that go left and right) are for GCSE English.

So if you look at the top left cell (entry) which has the number '4' in it, it's the intersection of a row and a column. Which row and column is it? It's the column A* in Music and A* in Maths. We interpret this as 4 people having an A* in both subjects.

Let's go one cell to the right. It's in the A column for music but still in the A* column for English, so we say that 5 people got an A in music and A* in English.

So what does the cell with '19' in it represent?
That 19 people go a B in both music and English 🤔
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That 19 people go a B in both music and English 🤔
Correct!

So you can read the table now, right?

If so, then read my previous post about the shading.
Zonyali123
Rep:
?
Correct!

So you can read the table now, right?

If so, then read my previous post about the shading.
Yes, I can read it now but they've just made it so difficult because it's easy to get confused.
Zonyali123
Rep:
?
What am I supposed to shade?
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What am I supposed to shade?
I will repost my original suggestion with clarifications. Please ask specific questions if you are unsure.

Grab a pencil and look at the table given, cell by cell until you spot the pattern. Look at the cells, interpret what they mean and then shade them if they meet the criteria. If not, leave it unshaded. To get started...

Let's look at the top left cell, the A* in both subjects cell. Does it satisfy the condition specified in the question about the grade difference (grade in English being at least 2 more than grade in music)? If yes, shade it. If not, move on in any direction (e.g.) move one cell right and ask the same question

Zonyali123
Rep:
?
Please explain further
Zonyali123
Rep:
?
I will repost my original suggestion with clarifications. Please ask specific questions if you are unsure.

Grab a pencil and look at the table given, cell by cell until you spot the pattern. Look at the cells, interpret what they mean and then shade them if they meet the criteria. If not, leave it unshaded. To get started...

Let's look at the top left cell, the A* in both subjects cell. Does it satisfy the condition specified in the question about the grade difference (grade in English being at least 2 more than grade in music)? If yes, shade it. If not, move on in any direction (e.g.) move one cell right and ask the same question

Hi, I've finally got it! 7+3+1+2+1+3=17 so 17/142 x 100. = 11.97....... is 12% to the nearest percent.
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I've finally got it! 7+3+1+2+1+3=17 so 17/142 x 100. = 11.97....... is 12% to the nearest percent.
Agreed, well done
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (163)
59.06%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
23.91%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed