Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible?

I have interviews for January for sept 2018 start.
    One of which is pgce through uni, the other 2 are SCITT.

I have an 8yr old in yr 4 come sept and a 4yr old starting reception then too.

Can anyone share their experience of either completing pgce/SCITT or teaching in general with 2 young children at home?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a partner or family help on hand? If so, then yes, it is possible but very hard. If you don't have support, it will just be really really hard and tiring. I have two kids about the same age as you but thankfully my wife took a lot of the strain. That said, I still had to pick up, cook tea and do bed time before switching the laptop back on in order to start planning. Weekends are worse because you have to work whilst the kids are trashing the house.

On the plus side, you would qualify for a childcare grant to cover any additional childcare costs for before and after school clubs. It is a brutal year but gets easier. To make things even easier look for local providers rather than those a way off.

Good luck and don't be put off. It has been the best thing I ever did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Do you have a partner or family help on hand? If so, then yes, it is possible but very hard. If you don't have support, it will just be really really hard and tiring. I have two kids about the same age as you but thankfully my wife took a lot of the strain. That said, I still had to pick up, cook tea and do bed time before switching the laptop back on in order to start planning. Weekends are worse because you have to work whilst the kids are trashing the house.

On the plus side, you would qualify for a childcare grant to cover any additional childcare costs for before and after school clubs. It is a brutal year but gets easier. To make things even easier look for local providers rather than those a way off.

Good luck and don't be put off. It has been the best thing I ever did!
    Thank you! I have a very supportive husband but he works on an oil rig... 3 weeks on/3 week’s off. We have no family around so I’m worried about the times when husband is away.

The kids do have access to breakfast and after school club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oOLaurenOo)
    Thank you! I have a very supportive husband but he works on an oil rig... 3 weeks on/3 week’s off. We have no family around so I’m worried about the times when husband is away.

The kids do have access to breakfast and after school club.
    Sounds like a goer. You will have half a term of hell and half of slightly less hell. Just hope his holidays don't coincide with yours.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. My dh doesn't get holidays, he gets 3 weeks off every 3 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position, planning to start SCITT/PGCE in Sept 18 with two young children aged 2 and 6. Also have my first interview in Jan.

I'm currently setting up a nursery place for when my youngest is 3 in March and looking into breakfast/after school club options. I must admit, I'm concerned about sickness etc, especially with the youngest child. My husband's job is pretty demanding and he'd struggle to take off. At the moment I'm looking into emergency nannies etc just in case. Expensive, but maybe necessary for those days when they can't go to school/nursery.

It's going to be a tough year but several people have told me that once you've juggled working and kids, it's easier to prioritise your workload and to know when your lesson planning is 'good enough' rather than some infinite quest for the perfect lesson plan.

On top of all that, right now I think it will be a miracle if I pass the numeracy test. I've never felt so stupid...

ReputationRep:
    Hi VIC 🙂

You sound like you’ve got it all planned out! 👍
    I’ve only ever considered doing my pgce when my youngest starts school (which is sept18) as I don’t think I could figure out the childcare and the cost.

Where are you applying to? Good luck with your interview!
    I’ve not taken a look at the numeracy tests yet but I keep failing the comprehensive side of the literacy test! I think 69% is my best score yet 😕

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my first term doing school direct (unsalaried) with my oldest in yr 4 and my youngest in yr 1. It is definitely doable, but I have relied a lot on my wonderful husband and a flexible childminder! It is tough and you have to be able to cope with putting the children to bed and then switching back to 'teacher' mode to plan, which I found hard to do at the end of a long working day. BUT, on the plus side all the other trainee teachers I am training with comment that being a parent gives you an advantage when it comes to understanding how children think, and a different perspective on behaviour. Also, being mum means I have to switch off from work for a few hours each day and I think that is a good thing as the training can get overwhelming otherwise. I'm not going to pretend it isn't tough - it is, but it is also fantastically rewarding, and I am really enjoying it.I wish you all the best for your interviews!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Disco, many thanks for your reply. I’m pleased it it working out well for you, and that it is doable!
    I’m under no illusions that it’ll be hard, I’m hoping we fall in to some sort of routine with husband and childcare soon in to the course .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vic000)
    I'm in a similar position, planning to start SCITT/PGCE in Sept 18 with two young children aged 2 and 6. Also have my first interview in Jan.

I'm currently setting up a nursery place for when my youngest is 3 in March and looking into breakfast/after school club options. I must admit, I'm concerned about sickness etc, especially with the youngest child. My husband's job is pretty demanding and he'd struggle to take off. At the moment I'm looking into emergency nannies etc just in case. Expensive, but maybe necessary for those days when they can't go to school/nursery.

It's going to be a tough year but several people have told me that once you've juggled working and kids, it's easier to prioritise your workload and to know when your lesson planning is 'good enough' rather than some infinite quest for the perfect lesson plan.

On top of all that, right now I think it will be a miracle if I pass the numeracy test. I've never felt so stupid...

I'm hoping the same that as busy working mums we will already be used to juggling, prioritising and multi-tasking. Although as you say I am no under illusions that it will be an easy year however I know it will be a very rewarding one.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in a similiar position , i'm awaiting my first round of interviews for scitt, I dont want to do the uni route as i have only just finished at uni.

I have two young boys, and they know mummy works alot on an evening, so i feel ok about that, but im concerned about the financial aspect,

I am giving up a full time job to do this, I dont understand the funding, if any is available ?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ll13kmj)
    Hi,

I'm in a similiar position , i'm awaiting my first round of interviews for scitt, I dont want to do the uni route as i have only just finished at uni.

I have two young boys, and they know mummy works alot on an evening, so i feel ok about that, but im concerned about the financial aspect,

I am giving up a full time job to do this, I dont understand the funding, if any is available ?

thanks
    I’m the same giving up a full time job to do this, I’ve tried to save these last couple of years but it hasn’t happened. I’m hoping the maintenance loan will near enough cover most of my salary and I have started to already cut back on spending money on unnecessary things such as clothes I don’t need and cutting back on the amount of money I spend on shopping each week just to get me used to it so next year won’t be such a shock financially.

Think there’s also help in relation to child care such as grants. There’s lots of useful information on the department of educations website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ll13kmj)
    Hi,

thanks
    What subject are you doing it in?.... Is there possibly a bursary? My subject has quite a substantial bursary which I’m really relying on to get me through the year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.