The Student Room Group

No idea what I want to study at university

I’ve sent off my application for UCAS and have got offers back from UCL, Nottingham and Exeter for economics but I’m still not too keen on any subject in particular to study. I was looking at the social anthropology course at LSE which seems really interesting but I feel like no matter what course I could have applied for I would always feel really dissatisfied like I could have chosen better. Is anyone else in a similar situation/got any advice???
Original post by Tkaurig
I’ve sent off my application for UCAS and have got offers back from UCL, Nottingham and Exeter for economics but I’m still not too keen on any subject in particular to study. I was looking at the social anthropology course at LSE which seems really interesting but I feel like no matter what course I could have applied for I would always feel really dissatisfied like I could have chosen better. Is anyone else in a similar situation/got any advice???

I am in a similar situation. I’ve applied for one course this year but like he look of another so as thinking of taking a year out. Don’t want to delay uni but at the same time I don’t want to **** up my decision!
Original post by Tkaurig

If you don't have a serious and genuine interest in economics then you shouldn't be studying it. Every year I talk to people who applied to study the wrong subject with little or no research, they inevitably end up getting bad grades or dropping out.

I suggest you do some serious research into economics (and social anthropology) over the next few weeks, look at the degree modules, read the course syllabus and some of the books on the reading lists, watch lectures (there are loads online), do a MOOC, visit the unis (preferably not on an open day, email the department and ask if you can visit after the Christmas break) and speak to current students and lecturers about the course. If, after all that, you are still not confident with your choice then I think you should take a gap year to consider your options.
Reply 3
Original post by Snufkin
If you don't have a serious and genuine interest in economics then you shouldn't be studying it. Every year I talk to people who applied to study the wrong subject with little or no research, they inevitably end up getting bad grades or dropping out.

I suggest you do some serious research into economics (and social anthropology) over the next few weeks, look at the degree modules, read the course syllabus and some of the books on the reading lists, watch lectures (there are loads online), do a MOOC, visit the unis (preferably not on an open day, email the department and ask if you can visit after the Christmas break) and speak to current students and lecturers about the course. If, after all that, you are still not confident with your choice then I think you should take a gap year to consider your options.

Thanks a lot for this
Drop out - and reapply next year when you have worked out what you want study for the next three years of you life.

Nowhere is it written that you can only go to Uni straight from school. Take a gap year and do some calm and careful thinking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending