lalalalisha
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Considering applying to either Cambridge or Oxford, and either Bristol, Manchester, UCL, Sheffield, or Exeter. Any advice on which are best (not necessarily more prestigious but nicer places to teach, or generally nice to live in).

Any help would be useful! Thanks.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lalalalisha)
Considering applying to either Cambridge or Oxford, and either Bristol, Manchester, UCL, Sheffield, or Exeter. Any advice on which are best (not necessarily more prestigious but nicer places to teach, or generally nice to live in).

Moved to the teaching forum, where you're more likely to get an answer
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can't comment on much, but alot of the secondary schools in Bristol aren't that great - bear in mind I have only been to 2 secondary schools in Bristol, and obviously cannot comment on every school there.
Lilsthebest
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lalalalisha)

Didn't Cambridge and Oxford close their deadline? UCL is a really good uni for History so I suggest you check it out !
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
PGCE is full-on and not like being an 'ordinary' student so dont get over enticed by the Oxford/Cambridge thing or think that the schools there will be 'easier''.

All you can do is look at the course details for each course structure closely ('compare and contrast') and see which have any added extras that especially appeal to you - and think about the practical stuff like cost of living/ease of travel etc. And would you stay on after he PGCE and look for work in that area?

I'm biased but I'd pick Bristol (big city with a friendly laid-back feel, plus excellent Education dept) then Exeter (Uni is smaller, equally friendly and you are surrounded by great countryside/sea). But you may have different interests/needs.
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you are looking for "best", forget going to universities. In my view the best providers of teacher training are either schools (SCHITT) or school direct which is an alliance between a lead school and a university. By choosing SCHITT or School Direct, you know in advance where you will be training - ideally an outstanding school. By applying to university, you can be placed in any school that has Requires Improvement or above. If your goal is to be an outstanding teacher, you are going to struggle if you are training in an establishment that requires improvement. Outstanding teaching practices are unlikely to be modelled for you.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.91%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.1%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.91%

Watched Threads