The Student Room Group

No friends at uni

I have friends now, I went through a horrible time last semester.

Mod close
(edited 6 years ago)
tbh I'm just hard working I'm not that clever. I studied for over 12 hours a day but I failed the exams. i really did make an effort to get out of my shell but it hasn't work. heck i even learnt how to dance salsa, something i thought i'd never do in a million years. the funny thing is when i was dancing with the girls i didn't really care about what they thought because my mind was worrying about exams every second.
Yeah I probably need to improve my study habits. But I think social ostracism can really mess up exam performance. Its getting to the point now where I think a transfer might be the best solution because I'm dealing with both academic and social problems that are making me chronically unhappy.
Original post by eng2017
tbh I'm just hard working I'm not that clever. I studied for over 12 hours a day but I failed the exams. i really did make an effort to get out of my shell but it hasn't work. heck i even learnt how to dance salsa, something i thought i'd never do in a million years. the funny thing is when i was dancing with the girls i didn't really care about what they thought because my mind was worrying about exams every second.

Mate if you are spending "that much" time on studies. I would say to diversify what you learn. For example. You can self learn game theory for like 3 hours a day and maybe something you wanted to learn for long but you didn't had any time to spare.
Original post by Akhil1999.gs
Mate if you are spending "that much" time on studies. I would say to diversify what you learn. For example. You can self learn game theory for like 3 hours a day and maybe something you wanted to learn for long but you didn't had any time to spare.

True bro u just need the time. I just want the uni experience i ****ing hate being a shut in.
Original post by eng2017
True bro u just need the time. I just want the uni experience i ****ing hate being a shut in.

Can understand that feelings.

If you are a goal oriented person or something of that sort, try to break your comfort zone and keep a goal like you will try to meet a new person everyday and keep in touch with them?
Can understand that feelings.

If you are a goal oriented person or something of that sort, try to break your comfort zone and keep a goal like you will try to meet a new person everyday and keep in touch with them?

thing is that only works if the other person makes an effort. people at my uni are super cliquey and don't have any interest in socializing with outsiders. i feel trapped here man. lonely days. i'm counting down the days till i see my family
Original post by eng2017
thing is that only works if the other person makes an effort. people at my uni are super cliquey and don't have any interest in socializing with outsiders. i feel trapped here man. lonely days. i'm counting down the days till i see my family

Are you an international student or something of that sort?
Are you an international student or something of that sort?

no im british. im just at the other side of the country haha
Original post by eng2017
no im british. im just at the other side of the country haha

Gotcha!

Well I think it all depends on you mate. Try taking some effort to make friends and hopefully it would work or atleast it would reach some extent which is better than nothing.
Gotcha!

Well I think it all depends on you mate. Try taking some effort to make friends and hopefully it would work or atleast it would reach some extent which is better than nothing.

I'm definitely gonna try next semester. No point complaining then not doing anything. I'm going home on monday for 3 weeks so things will get better. If it doesn't get better at the end of next semester then I'm outta here :smile:
Original post by eng2017
I'm definitely gonna try next semester. No point complaining then not doing anything. I'm going home on monday for 3 weeks so things will get better. If it doesn't get better at the end of next semester then I'm outta here :smile:

Hey, hope you're well :smile:

Have you tried joining societies?
Sometimes i wonder why people even ask, dude happiness comes from ones self. I know people who actually enjoy being alone if you dont like being alone join a study group, be open, smile and greet people be polite join clubs or societies , talk to your course mates , go out to events. And dont you be lying here that you have to study all the time thats BS and a stupid excuse.
Original post by Study With Myk
Sometimes i wonder why people even ask, dude happiness comes from ones self. I know people who actually enjoy being alone if you dont like being alone join a study group, be open, smile and greet people be polite join clubs or societies , talk to your course mates , go out to events. And dont you be lying here that you have to study all the time thats BS and a stupid excuse.

i'm not lying. i studied for hours and hours yet i still failed my exams. i wish i was lying because then i'd know all i'd need to do is study harder to pass. i hate being alone, i feel 100x happier around other people.
Original post by DeemzBeamz
Hey, hope you're well :smile:

Have you tried joining societies?

yeah i joined the computer society and the salsa society. i didn't expect to make many friends in the latter because i only went there to learn to dance. the former was more for academic stuff and career events. i didn't go to their socials because the people in the computer society are the people on my course and i already tried with them. now they just piss me off.
Original post by eng2017
i'm not lying. i studied for hours and hours yet i still failed my exams. i wish i was lying because then i'd know all i'd need to do is study harder to pass. i hate being alone, i feel 100x happier around other people.

Dont worry i remember when i was in high school whilst i played around i would see people studying hard but still failed. Do you know why ? its because 1. they did not have confidence 2. they did not study the right way so they were basically wasting their time.....now how did these people solve their problem they attached themselves to someone smart, befriended them and started learning the smart persons secrets to success they became a mini version of the smart person and eventually passed. The lesson from this is find someone smart and they will help you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending