wyann
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Does the radius of the atom increase if you increase the number of electrons?
What affects atomic radius?
Does increasing the number of protons decrease atomic radius beause of nuclear attraction (if yes doesnt this question contradict with the first question as the number of protons and electrons are equal)?
ty
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by wyann)
Does the radius of the atom increase if you increase the number of electrons?
What affects atomic radius?
Does increasing the number of protons decrease atomic radius beause of nuclear attraction (if yes doesnt this question contradict with the first question as the number of protons and electrons are equal)?
ty
1. To some extent. The radius of an atom only really increases when a new shell has electrons on. So it increases down groups, but not across a period. So when there are more electrons there could be a greater atomic radius, or there could not be depending on numbers.
2. Nuclear attraction, number of shells. Might be some other stuff,but I can't think of anything right now.
3.Most the time. As you say, when you increase the number of protons the number of electrons increase also, which increases the nuclear attraction between the outer shell and the nucleus and hence decreases the atomic radius. However, the first electron on a new shell will not increase the nuclear attraction since there is more electron shielding etc. so group 1 elements have larger atomic radii than the group 8/0 of the period before.
Hope that's clear
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
1. Depends how many electrons are added and which orbital
2. Radius is affected by number of electron shells and number of protons
3. Yes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.26%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (120)
37.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.66%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.42%

Watched Threads