The Student Room Group

PGCE Workload inquiry

Hey all, I'm a graduate illustrator and animator and trying to get onto a PGCE in Art and Design in 2018. So far the horror stories of incredibly high workload and pressure haven't put me off! I currently work part-time to pay the bills. I don't believe I get student finance as I'm not a UK citizen, but a resident visa holder.

So it would be great if someone could reassure me, take me by the hand and tell me that all will be well, that I can still work part-time during my course and that the workload for a PGCE is around 20 hours a week or suchlike.
Which of course, is nonsense, so how many hours a week will I realistically be spending on my PGCE? This includes University time, School time and after-hours work. Is it as high for Art as it is for non-creative subjects?
Original post by varunjk95
Hey all, I'm a graduate illustrator and animator and trying to get onto a PGCE in Art and Design in 2018. So far the horror stories of incredibly high workload and pressure haven't put me off! I currently work part-time to pay the bills. I don't believe I get student finance as I'm not a UK citizen, but a resident visa holder.

So it would be great if someone could reassure me, take me by the hand and tell me that all will be well, that I can still work part-time during my course and that the workload for a PGCE is around 20 hours a week or suchlike.
Which of course, is nonsense, so how many hours a week will I realistically be spending on my PGCE? This includes University time, School time and after-hours work. Is it as high for Art as it is for non-creative subjects?

Moved to the teaching forum, where you're more likely to get an answer :smile:

I will not lie - the workload is high. It does not matter which subject you are doing, initially the workload is high (for your PGCE).
However, once you get used to it (usually within a month), the load does decrease somewhat because you become used to it and start to keep up. You are never not doing something for school. There is a lot to take in during your first placement alone!

Although it might be different for you, usually you won't be able to keep your job when training to be a teacher. This is because, again, the workload will not allow you to and you will be really tired! You will need to spend all your out-of-school time planning lessons, marking work or doing your PGCE assignments. Don't forget that the PGCE is a full time course. You leave for school at 6am and some days you won't be home until 7 or later. More info by clicking here.

I'm currently doing my PGCE so can speak from experience. I barely have time to do other things ATM, particularly because I have been procrastinating a bit :wink:

I'm not sure about your student finance eligibility - so you will need to contact SfE to make sure.
(edited 6 years ago)
The PE folks on my course worked part time during their PGCE. It was pretty brutal for them. It can be done, but you are going to be exhausted by the end of it. All I will say is make sure you factor in time for yourself or you will go mad.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Interrobang
Moved to the teaching forum, where you're more likely to get an answer :smile:

Cheers for that, I'll have a look at it
Reply 5
Cheers for that, I'll have a look at it

Thanks for the advice guys, perhaps I'm just getting used to the job security! It'll be good to move onto a more engaging and interesting role.
Just to add a little bit more to the discussion. I am currently on my PGCE at the moment and I have stuck with my part-time job whilst completing my first placement and it has not affected my teaching as I got the highest possible rating for my first placement. However it has been hard and I am considering leaving my part time job as ai start my second placement.

What I would suggest is that you could carry it on whilst you studying your PGCE to see if you can manage the workload. Remember everyone is different and some people may be able to manage it.
Hey,

The workload for any PGCE is massive and it made especially worse by the fact that it is a trainees first time dealing with the workload of a teacher.

I wouldn't say its impossible to have a part time job during your PGCE, however you need to consider your own head space. You need time away from everything, doing the things that you love and catching up with family and friends. Also consider that PGCE would take up a lot of your free times in evenings and weekends.

However, I do feel if you have a strong passion for your subjecting and teaching as a whole, all of the extra work will not seem like work.

Also, teacher training courses are great for mental and pastoral support in my experiences. The tutors always have time to sit you down and talk through any issues or barriers.

Ultimately, its down to how much you feel like you can handle - you know your own capabilities and your own passions, just make sure the decision you make is the right one for yourself.

Ste - Graduate Advocate :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending