Period 3 trends Watch

Habeeb H Patel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Sulfur (S8) has a higher melting point then chlorine (Cl2) or phosphorous (P4) because of induced dipole dipole forces, so does it mean when sulfur has an instantaneous shift of electrons to one side of the molecule it creates a larger dipole and a greater attraction to neighbouring sulfur molecules, so needs a lot of energy to break up attraction. Is this correct
purplepencil
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You are correct. Sulfur will form giant covalent structure just like carbon in diamond or graphite. (Notice that C and S are in the same group, both have 4 valence electrons. In S8 each S atom will form 4 bonds with other S atoms, thus, giant) Since it is a giant structure, there are more induced dipole dipole forces than there would be in Cl2 or P4. As a result, more energy is needed to overcome the many forces in S8. (Cl2 and P4 are simple covalent molecules so less energy is needed to melt them anyway).
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Habeeb H Patel
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by purplepencil)
You are correct. Sulfur will form giant covalent structure just like carbon in diamond or graphite. (Notice that C and S are in the same group, both have 4 valence electrons. In S8 each S atom will form 4 bonds with other S atoms, thus, giant) Since it is a giant structure, there are more induced dipole dipole forces than there would be in Cl2 or P4. As a result, more energy is needed to overcome the many forces in S8. (Cl2 and P4 are simple covalent molecules so less energy is needed to melt them anyway).

No sulfur is a simple covalent bond because it has indued dipole dipole forces between the molecules
ChemistryWebsite
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by purplepencil)
I think you may be confusing S with Si.
Sulfur will not form a macromolecular structure.
Sulfur has 6 outer shell electrons and is in Gp6 below oxygen.

You will also get induced dipole -dipole in P4 and Cl2, but note the molecule sizes and hence the amount of intermolecular forces.
amaraub
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You essentially need to say :

Sulfur is larger so its a larger molecules
Therefore it has more electrons
So there are stronger VDW forces
So it needs more energy to break bonds between them

Make sure you specify what intermolecular force is present or you lose a mark
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (62)
15.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
10%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
19.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.63%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (125)
30.49%

Watched Threads