The Student Room Group

What is the ln (0)??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Zhen Lin
After reading some articles about the complex logarithm, it seems that there is indeed no way to have a meaningful value for ln 0. If we consider all the solutions to ew=ze^w = z and plot (z, w), it forms a pretty spiral sheet around z = 0, where it is discontinuous... Interestingly, if we think of the structure of it that way, it's hardly a surprise that we can arrive at different values for ln -1 by following different "paths" starting from z = 1.

The reason you get this is because the argument of a complex number is only defined up to multiplies of 2pi.

A complex number with argument θ\theta can be written z=zeθi+2kπiz=|z|e^{\theta i + 2k\pi i} where k is any integer.

Taking logs gives logz=logz+(θ+2kπ)i\log{z} = \log{|z|} + (\theta + 2k\pi) i. (where logz\log{|z|} is real). So taking the log of a number gives lots of different answers, all separated by integer multiples of 2*pi*i.

To get a single valued function you just restrict the argument of z to some interval of length 2pi. This is a "branch" of log.

z=0 is a singularity (called a branch point).
Well, technically, if e^ix = 0 , then isin(x)=-cos(x), so itan(x)=-1

this implies that tan(x)=i, so x=arctan(i)

Putting this back in Euler's equation

e^(i*arctan(i)) = 0...

So ln(0)=i*arctan(i)

Quick Reply

Latest