Struggling with a decision on my degree

Watch
username3576388
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all, sorry to make another thread but just looking for some advice.

For the last couple of years my ultimate goal has been to become an athletic director - basically I want to get hold of a clubs/college/university (either here or in the US) and run their sports department. My ambition was to get a foot in the door and work my up to that position. I've spent my rugby career playing for the best amateur team in the country, a good school and college team as well so I know what makes organisations successful because I've been part of them. I know what players want, what good people are and where money needs to head to ensure it happens.

So.. I did Business at A-Level and am now doing a sports Management degree at university. To be fair I'm loving it, genuinely the most I've enjoyed my education since I started. I'm still playing for the 1st team as well so it's all fitting together really well. I literally love my life at the minute, even enjoyed the coursework which I've never said before.

My issue is this. Although it's great to follow your dreams, which I've done, I'm concerned that I won't be able to get that foot in the door and work my way up. If I can't, no organisation is going to take a rugby obsessed lad with a Sports Managment degree. It's not like having a degree in Science or something where there are multiple fields to go into. I was hoping that my experience in rugby, coaching and my workrate in relation to uni work would give me an edge but maybe it won't.

I'm considering asking if I can do another degree that I might enjoy less but may also have better job prospects. What do you guys think?

Thanks all.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dux19)

For the last couple of years my ultimate goal has been to become an athletic director - basically I want to get hold of a clubs/college/university (either here or in the US) and run their sports department. My ambition was to get a foot in the door and work my up to that position. I've spent my rugby career playing for the best amateur team in the country, a good school and college team as well so I know what makes organisations successful because I've been part of them. I know what players want, what good people are and where money needs to head to ensure it happens.

So.. I did Business at A-Level and am now doing a sports Management degree at university. To be fair I'm loving it, genuinely the most I've enjoyed my education since I started. I'm still playing for the 1st team as well so it's all fitting together really well. I literally love my life at the minute, even enjoyed the coursework which I've never said before.

My issue is this. Although it's great to follow your dreams, which I've done, I'm concerned that I won't be able to get that foot in the door and work my way up. If I can't, no organisation is going to take a rugby obsessed lad with a Sports Managment degree. It's not like having a degree in Science or something where there are multiple fields to go into. I was hoping that my experience in rugby, coaching and my workrate in relation to uni work would give me an edge but maybe it won't.

I'm considering asking if I can do another degree that I might enjoy less but may also have better job prospects. What do you guys think?

Thanks all.
I guess it's do you want to try doing what you love and know that you gave it a go or do something you don't love and perhaps continue playing sport as a hobby alongside it. Think about what transferable skills you'll have gained through your degree and sport, perhaps you could go into another leadership type role as a career.
HertsExRep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dux19)

Thanks all.
It sounds like you're pretty on track with everything in terms of achieving your dream and really enjoying Uni life, which is great!

I think the key to a "soft" degree (compared to STEM) is just making sure you're still getting in tons of experience alongside the degree. My best friend and housemate, does a very similar degree and is the football equivalent to your rugby. She also has similar aspirations--leading organizations to get inactive people into sport. Whereas the other people on her course don't seem to have a strong idea of what they want after their degree, she's extremely passionate about what she wants to do. She's also extremely well set-up to carry out her dream, and that's because she's gotten a foothold in local University organizations through taking on campus sport part-time jobs, as well as doing a placement year in that local organization and giving it her all. She's made a name for herself in this way and it's already leading to post-graduate opportunity as a result.

I would recommend getting stuck-in in this way--and if you want to contact my friend and pick her brains on this subject, let me know and I can try to put you guys in contact!
username3576388
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Michelle Bieger)
It sounds like you're pretty on track with everything in terms of achieving your dream and really enjoying Uni life, which is great!

I think the key to a "soft" degree (compared to STEM) is just making sure you're still getting in tons of experience alongside the degree. My best friend and housemate, does a very similar degree and is the football equivalent to your rugby. She also has similar aspirations--leading organizations to get inactive people into sport. Whereas the other people on her course don't seem to have a strong idea of what they want after their degree, she's extremely passionate about what she wants to do. She's also extremely well set-up to carry out her dream, and that's because she's gotten a foothold in local University organizations through taking on campus sport part-time jobs, as well as doing a placement year in that local organization and giving it her all. She's made a name for herself in this way and it's already leading to post-graduate opportunity as a result.

I would recommend getting stuck-in in this way--and if you want to contact my friend and pick her brains on this subject, let me know and I can try to put you guys in contact!
Hi Michelle, thanks for the reply.

I've been looking at doing some experience in the summer but a. I'm getting played to play rugby on a Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday with training/games and also I'm not really sure what type of experience to look for.

I'm actually doing starting a rugby coaching course in February so do you think that volunteering to coach the under 6's/7's/8's etc would be a positive move?

Thanks again.
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Talk to people who do the job and talk to students who recently graduated.
username2895894
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dux19)

Thanks all.
Why don't you instead focus in teaching rugby, or at gym or being a PE teacher?I know is not very appealing but is on e of the easiesr job to find.
If you want to continue to study, I would advice more toward a medical certification, possibly chiropractor or dietist
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dux19)

Thanks all.
What about other sports? I would stick with this degree but try to get some coaching badges as well - if you can expand the sports that will also help.
HertsExRep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dux19)
Hi Michelle, thanks for the reply.

I've been looking at doing some experience in the summer but a. I'm getting played to play rugby on a Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday with training/games and also I'm not really sure what type of experience to look for.

I'm actually doing starting a rugby coaching course in February so do you think that volunteering to coach the under 6's/7's/8's etc would be a positive move?

Thanks again.
So you said in your OP that you wanted to become a sports director of an organization. See if you can find a job description of something similar; what do they ask for? Probably experience in more than one sport as possible (like Muttley79 suggests, try broadening if you can), experience in management, reliability. I would also echo HateOCR and suggest you try contacting your University's sport deparment or Athletic Union and saying, I'm interested in this position in my future career, what kind of experience should I be looking for, can you offer me any volunteering or management opportunities?

I would say definitely go for the coaching course, definitely volunteer to coach the young 'uns; but you won't be able to get away with just that. Sports directors at Unis are one of the top positions in that field. You can't expect to do just rugby coaching and then jump into that kind of position--you need to do the steps in the middle where you work your way up in the organization, where you go for other roles to diversify your experience (project management for Sport England, for example; sports charity organization roles; for example--etc.). I'm not in your field so I can't point you in more specific direction; I can connect you with my friend who is, however.

You're going to have to balance the rugby a bit more with the management experience I think--it's great you're getting paid to play it, and great you're going to go into coaching, but unless you're going for a rugby-role like teaching and coaching, you're going to need to diversify and commit to doing placements or work experience in order to make yourself stand out from the many people graduating with a Sports Management degree who also all want to become a sports director.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.63%
I don't have everything I need (260)
44.37%

Watched Threads