stanakaticshair
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys,

I graduated this summer and have, since then, been mulling over what it is I've wanted to do, and (primary) teaching is always what I come back to. I've recently started looking into getting a PGCE but I've been confused by what I've been reading - do I need to get experience prior to applying to these? And take QTS tests prior to applying too?

I'm just a little too confused and googling doesn't really help me, so I was hoping someone could simplify it all for me. Sorry if this sounds really dumb!
Aleeexxi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Most PGCE's ask you to have a minimum of a week to two weeks experience in a mainstream primary school prior to your application, or in your personal statement you could state that youve planned to carry out this experience. In regards to the QTS tests you have to pass both before the course starts in September 2018.
stanakaticshair
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aleeexxi)
Most PGCE's ask you to have a minimum of a week to two weeks experience in a mainstream primary school prior to your application, or in your personal statement you could state that youve planned to carry out this experience. In regards to the QTS tests you have to pass both before the course starts in September 2018.
Sorry to sound stupid, but how would I get this experience? What specifically should I be searching for?
Aleeexxi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by stanakaticshair)
Sorry to sound stupid, but how would I get this experience? What specifically should I be searching for?
Contact local primary schools and say you are looking into to pursue a career in teaching, and but of the conditions of admission onto a PGCE is to gain experience in a school. It would be a long process cause some schools will want you to have a DBS for a volunteer to be left alone with the children whilst others would just let you shadow but not interact witht he children
katf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by stanakaticshair)
Email a couple of local primary schools. You could get involved leading Cubs, Beavers, Rainbows or Brownies. That would probably help.
stanakaticshair
Rep:
?
Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to look into it all now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (166)
59.5%
I don't have everything I need (113)
40.5%

Watched Threads