The Student Room Group

Eligibility

Hi
I am a uk national and I have been abroad and have just returned to the uk in April 2017
I have been living abroad for 4 years ,
I have stayed in Sudan and I was working temporarily then I moved to Saudi and I worked as a teacher for only three semesters , my contract has ended last December 2016, then I took a break for 3 months before I returned to the UK , my first question is would this 3 months gap affects my eligibility for student funding ? I am planing to apply for a teacher training course
My second question is what documents and information do I need to provide when applying for student funding ?
Do I need to provide the flight tickets that show when I left the uk and when I returned to the UK ?
Hi Zanzoni,

If you can prove that your three month gap in residency was of a temporary nature then you would be eligible for funding. Acceptable evidence you could provide for this could be as follows:-

* A letter from your employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates.
* A contract from your employer that clearly shows your employment was of a temporary nature.
* Temporary visas or work permits.

If you weren't able to provide any of the above evidence we would then ask you to send in a covering letter along with copies of ticket receipts/accommodation lease etc. This evidence would be deemed acceptable on a 'case-by-case' basis.

Thanks

Laura
Reply 2
Dear Laura
What kind of evidence do I need to provide to prove that the three month gap was of a temporary nature can you please explain more? Because it was just a break from work.
Do I need to provide all the evidence mentioned above or one of them will be enough e.g a contract from an employer.

Regards
Original post by Zanzoni
Dear Laura
What kind of evidence do I need to provide to prove that the three month gap was of a temporary nature can you please explain more? Because it was just a break from work.
Do I need to provide all the evidence mentioned above or one of them will be enough e.g a contract from an employer.

Regards

Hi Zanzoni,

Just to clarify, have you been living and working abroad for 4 years, and have returned to the UK in April 2017?

Thank you,

John
Reply 4
Yes I have been living and working abroad for 4 years and returned in April 2017
Original post by Zanzoni
Yes I have been living and working abroad for 4 years and returned in April 2017

Hi Zanzoni,

Part of the criteria for being eligible for Student Finance is that you must be resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to the start of your course. If during the 3 years before the start of your course you have been outside the UK on a permanent basis, this would be classed as a break in residency and it would mean you would be ineligible to receive Student Finance.

If you have been working outside the UK for the passed 4 years, we would actually require evidence that the 3 years prior to the start of the course spent abroad was temporary.

This would mean sending things such as:

*Temporary work contracts
*Temporary visas
*Letter from your employer confirming that the work was of a temporary nature including dates.

Hopefully this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 6
Thank you John for your reply
If the course is starting in September 2018 and I have returned to the UK in April 2017 , by the time the course starts I would have been resident in the uk for one year and 4 months , would it be acceptable to provide evidence only for the two years abroad
As I was working as a part time teacher on a temporary basis
Original post by Zanzoni
Thank you John for your reply
If the course is starting in September 2018 and I have returned to the UK in April 2017 , by the time the course starts I would have been resident in the uk for one year and 4 months , would it be acceptable to provide evidence only for the two years abroad
As I was working as a part time teacher on a temporary basis

Hi Zanzoni,

We would require evidence to show the time that you were on the temporary break, if this was for 2 years then 2 years evidence will be sufficient.

Thanks

Catherine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending