The Student Room Group

Failed Grade 8

Two weeks ago, I sat my grade 8 ABRSM exam on tenor horn at the same time as two other people. Both of them passed it but I failed by four marks. I am beyond devastated, obviously, and I don’t know what I did wrong!!!

I got 12/21 for scales and 9/18 for aural which is fair enough as they were abysmal but I genuinely think I was unfairly marked for my pieces.

I got 19/30, 20/30 and 20/30. I was happy with how I played them and genuinely thought my study was at the best standard I had ever played it, yet I failed one piece and barely passed the other two. The pianist also told my brass tutor that the marking was ridiculous.

This is the first time I have ever failed an exam and I am really losing my mind. I know I should probably resit it but I’m terrified I’m going to fail again, especially as I thought my pieces had been good enough to pass me (as did the pianist). I’m stuck on what I should do!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Is it possible to apply for a remark? It's very strange that you thought your pieces went well but they've been marked so harshly. Whenever my pieces have gone badly in an ABRSM exam, I've walked out knowing that.
Reply 2
Original post by LeapingLucy
Is it possible to apply for a remark? It's very strange that you thought your pieces went well but they've been marked so harshly. Whenever my pieces have gone badly in an ABRSM exam, I've walked out knowing that.

My teacher never mentioned anything so I don’t really know if it would be applicable/I have no idea how something like that would work if I’m honest!

If it was a significant fail I would accept it, but I just feel I deserved those four marks somewhere in those pieces as I don’t get how they could have been marked so low! I’ve known this pianist for nine years as well, and he doesn’t ever say something is good when it’s not just to make you feel better about yourself. Yes, they weren’t perfect but on a brass instrument at grade 8 you will inevitably get some slips on notes. I honestly just feel like a bit of a failure right now, especially when my friends both passed.

Quick Reply

Latest