Angelism
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello, kind of being repetitive which I'm sorry for, but I received 5/5 offers and I'm struggling with choosing the right university for me.
So far they're: Lancaster, Coventry, Surrey, Westminster, Liverpool.
I'm trying to find balance between city life and studies quality as I don't want to feel apocalyptically while studying, nor do I want to receive bad education. How important is university ranking? What mostly matters in my opinion, is the course set up and career improvement, what I mean is for example living in London gives many chances for making contacts and engaging into different chances for a future job as for the smaller cities it feels a bit lost. I might be misguided though that's just my opinion and this is why I'm reaching out to you! Thanks in advance.
scpfcib
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
From what i know about those unis, they are in the same bracket- it’ll be different for your subject specifically. What you have to remember is that uni will probably be the best days of your life and where you meet all of your friends. In my opinion it’s worth going to a place like Liverpool over Westminster to experience a proper student life and getting a decent degree
Angelism
Rep:
?
(Original post by scpfcib)
From what i know about those unis, they are in the same bracket- it’ll be different for your subject specifically. What you have to remember is that uni will probably be the best days of your life and where you meet all of your friends. In my opinion it’s worth going to a place like Liverpool over Westminster to experience a proper student life and getting a decent degree
Thank you for the fast answer. Could you explain your opinion?
scpfcib
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Angelism)
Thank you for the fast answer. Could you explain your opinion?
Rounded up student population-

Lancaster - 13,000

Westminster- 20,000

Liverpool - 70,000

Coventry- 20,000

Surrey- 15,000

In Liverpool youll be surrounded by students constantly whereas a place like Westminster youll be in the minority. Aswell as that there will be much more to do and itll be more sociable. Im advising Liverpool because from what I know its also a good university, its not like you would be sacrificing a good degree to go there. I was finding it difficult to chose between Southampton and Nottingham Trent (around 50 places apart in the rankings) which is different, but for you as Liverpool is in the same bracket as any of those unis, and ranked higher than some, id say go for Liverpool
Angelism
Rep:
?
Thanks. Open to more opinions.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks. Open to more opinions.
I can't understand why. You obviously used some sort of selection criteria when you picked those 5, now you just need to do it again in a bit more detail.

Which one will be most likely to help you get into the career you want afterwards? Which one has the most graduates working in the career you want to do? Which one has the best course content? The best facilities? The best accommodation? The best social life? These answers will all be personal to you, so there really isn't any point in us giving our opinions. Have you visited each uni? Did you get a good vibe from any of them? Go with your instinct - there won't be any wrong answers providing you've given it proper consideration.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello, kind of being repetitive which I'm sorry for, but I received 5/5 offers and I'm struggling with choosing the right university for me.
So far they're: Lancaster, Coventry, Surrey, Westminster, Liverpool.
I'm trying to find balance between city life and studies quality as I don't want to feel apocalyptically while studying, nor do I want to receive bad education. How important is university ranking? What mostly matters in my opinion, is the course set up and career improvement, what I mean is for example living in London gives many chances for making contacts and engaging into different chances for a future job as for the smaller cities it feels a bit lost. I might be misguided though that's just my opinion and this is why I'm reaching out to you! Thanks in advance.
If job prospects are important prioritise those which offer a year in industry. If any.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Angelism
Rep:
?
All of the courses I applied to, are with an year in industry (all of which I believe are in London). The accomodation is at quite the same price everywhere, so is the quality. Yet what the cities offer might be different as London provides many opportunities, as for Liverpool and Lancaster, I really am unsure. I have been reading lots of student experience threads and opinions, yet I am unable to take a decision. I can not visit the universities since I don't live at the UK right now. There's not much info on the net concerning their industry placement years. Here's how I see things:
Liverpool - a part of the Russell group, medium larged city, quite far from London, a bit lower in terms of ranks, has some opportunities for a student job, no city life at all
Coventry - No12 in Guardian's ranking, a small city, looks new and refurbished overall, no city life at all, lowest entry requirements of all my offers
Lancaster - very high rated, always top 10 according to all rank lists, a very good management course, yet city horribly small, absolutely no city integration and life, less chance for realisation and student jobs
Westminster - lowest rank of all (around 60), not the best course, accomodation quite expensive BUT jobs compensate as they're much easier to find and better paid since it's London. Much more city life and integration. No info on the course quality whatsoever.
scpfcib
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Even though ive already said it, Liverpool is the best city life and is a really sociable. Overall id say its your best option with Coventry as your insurance. If youre not keen on liverpool/willing to sacrifice your social life for a few ranking higher up then id say firm Lancaster- businesses will hire in big cities that they know are full of students such as London, Manchester and maybe Liverpool. Good luck choosing
Angelism
Rep:
?
Yeah, thank you. So far I think Surrey automatically goes away because I wouldn't fill in the requirements. I'll be putting Coventry as an Insurance choice, yes. My time's running out though, yet I'm nowhere. Westminster (London) vs Lancaster vs Liverpool it is. Lancaster seems to be the highest quality course as I mentioned. According to industrial connections and job prospects I'm clueless. Liverpool really does seem to be between both unis. Yet I'm really looking towards Westminster as I want try out living in London?
HighFructose
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lancaster or Surrey
Angelism
Rep:
?
(Original post by HighFructose)
Lancaster or Surrey
What are the reasons for the pick?
HighFructose
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What are the reasons for the pick?
Purely for reputation.

Coventry is ex-polytechnic (became uni in 1992)
Liverpool is regarded amongst the lower ranked RG unis
Westminster is ranked 95th CUG 2018
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.27%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
10.94%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.07%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.38%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.73%

Watched Threads