Should I a ask to change accommodation??

Watch
lilly0499
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’ve just finished my first sememster and I’m really finding it difficult to stay in the current flat I’m in. I live with 5 others who ever since freshers I just don’t seem to get along with and I hardly speak to them. They all get along so well and always leave me out of plans whenever they go out and have film nights in the kitchen etc even though I have tried to make an effort with them, they just don’t seem too interested. This has led to me not feeling comfortable in the flat and has led me to not want to go into the kitchen at all and always stay in my room, which causes me not to eat properly and for me to feel extremely lonely as all of my friends live in a flat together at a different accommodation. I have tried to speak to my halls officer about moving but she just shrugged it off and said that she can only offer a flat meeting to sort out issues, but I don’t feel like that is necessary. She then said to email residence life but I feel as though the situation would go straight back to her and they wouldn’t let me move based on the fact I don’t get along with my flatmates? Please help!! I don’t know what to do!!
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can't spend your life running away from things that make you feel uncomfortable. Ask them what their problem is, do the mediation/meeting. You have to at least try.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lilly0499)
I’ve just finished my first sememster and I’m really finding it difficult to stay in the current flat I’m in. I live with 5 others who ever since freshers I just don’t seem to get along with and I hardly speak to them. They all get along so well and always leave me out of plans whenever they go out and have film nights in the kitchen etc even though I have tried to make an effort with them, they just don’t seem too interested. This has led to me not feeling comfortable in the flat and has led me to not want to go into the kitchen at all and always stay in my room, which causes me not to eat properly and for me to feel extremely lonely as all of my friends live in a flat together at a different accommodation. I have tried to speak to my halls officer about moving but she just shrugged it off and said that she can only offer a flat meeting to sort out issues, but I don’t feel like that is necessary. She then said to email residence life but I feel as though the situation would go straight back to her and they wouldn’t let me move based on the fact I don’t get along with my flatmates? Please help!! I don’t know what to do!!
You sound identical to me, I don't go to my kitchen either to avoid them. I did ask earlier today to move to a studio and that will be done, which has made me feel a whole lot better.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lilly0499)
You're 18/19, and you're just going to have to toughen up a bit and just deal with it. Why is it making you not eat properly? Do they install metal gates on the kitchen entrance when they have their movie nights?
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gjd800)
You can't spend your life running away from things that make you feel uncomfortable. Ask them what their problem is, do the mediation/meeting. You have to at least try.
Sometimes running away from your problems works, as long as they never catch up.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
You're 18/19, and you're just going to have to toughen up a bit and just deal with it. Why is it making you not eat properly? Do they install metal gates on the kitchen entrance when they have their movie nights?
He must not want to feel like he is intruding. I feel the same and haven't cooked in weeks.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Sometimes running away from your problems works, as long as they never catch up.
Seldom true. Grow a set and sort things out.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
He must not want to feel like he is intruding. I feel the same and haven't cooked in weeks.
Why? He pays as much rent as the rest of his flatmates - how is it intruding? It's only intruding if you don't have a backbone and aren't willing to stand up on your own two feet and use the facilities that you pay for.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why? He pays as much rent as the rest of his flatmates - how is it intruding? It's only intruding if you don't have a backbone and aren't willing to stand up on your own two feet and use the facilities that you pay for.
Yeah well I tell myself that but such an introvert still feels out of place living with that many people.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Yeah well I tell myself that but such an introvert still feels out of place living with that many people.
I'm a CompSci student - you can't get more introverted than me. Just take control and do whatever it is you need to do in the kitchen. Assert authority.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
At some point in life you have to take the bull by the horns and at least have a go at sorting your own **** out. You will forever be a doormat if you don't. I know because I've been a doormat in the past.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a CompSci student - you can't get more introverted than me. Just take control and do whatever it is you need to do in the kitchen. Assert authority.
Well I've moved away from my problem, nearly. The point is not everyone is competent enough to deal with these situations if they start out wrong.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Well I've moved away from my problem, nearly. The point is not everyone is competent enough to deal with these situations if they start out wrong.
But why not face it? If you think walking into a kitchen is awkward/intruding, then you're going to have a bit of trouble in the real world.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
But why not face it? If you think walking into a kitchen is awkward/intruding, then you're going to have a bit of trouble in the real world.
It's just a different setting. Anyway I came here to offer OP support that they are not alone, not to be parented.
TheJohnM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The second part of your name describes you perfectly.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheJohnM)
The second part of your name describes you perfectly.
Hah. Very original.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.64%
I'm not sure (40)
4.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (279)
30.26%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.6%
I'm not a current university student (444)
48.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed