The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
would it not make more sense to slowly upgrade tye passports as people renew them rather than spend a bucket load of money in 1 go? that would mean that the renewal process could take around 3 to 5 years but it would cost a fraction of the amount atm.

I thought it was going to be gradual process where people would get the new passport whenever they choose to renew them.

Who knows, there may be benefits in spending all of the money in one go. For example, foreign border gaurds may be confused with the multiple coulours that a British Passport would have if the new navy passport was introduced gradually.

Then again, I am no expert in the field, and the 400m pounds is quite a lot for changing the cover of a passport (unless if I am mistaken).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by D3LLI5
The eu is similar to the ussr. Your small brain doesn’t seem to be able to handle a basic discussion.

The eu is progressing towards an increasingly ever more powerful state ruling over everyone, with money being allocated where the central planners want. That is not capitalist, it is Marxist.

Maybe try and be less stubborn, especially when you’ve just been shown to be wrong again and again and again

You are so right!

Just before I saw some red London busses, that must surely be a Marxist plot too!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
I couldn't care less what colour my passport is, but I'm minded to start coming out as a strong supporter of the blue passports just because of how much it appears to trigger elements of the left.
Original post by Quantex
Along with a poor level of education, living a region dependent on EU funding, and being obese, not owning a passport is one of the factors that correlate with voting to Leave the EU.

So I don't know why we are getting such spasms of delight from Brexit supporters.

Not true. A lot of them do have passports for holidays in Benidorm, Magaluf etc. It is good that we can show we are British when we arrive in Benidorm by showing our new passport and that we are British from a free independent nation. It might even make the Spanish wish they could leave the EU too. People do look up to Britain and they will want to be like Britain. Brexit could spell the end of the EU as other countries want to feel important like Britain is.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Brexit is a historic landmark victory for Britain. We need to get rid of old thoughts and get rid of as much as possible that was associated with the EU.
Changing the colour of the passport is only one thing but there will be more things that need changing, getting councils to ban people flying the EU flag.
Ensuring that schools teach kids why the EU was a bad thing.

However one idea is to have a period of enlightenment after Brexit when all the remoaners can be free to say why they regret leaving the EU. We need to know how many people in influential positions such as teachers opposed Brexit and their suitability for teaching be re-assessed with re-training or voluntary resignation.

This might seem harsh but Brexit is something which must be carried through to total completion. That could take many many years long after 2019 and we formally leave, as old habits, attitudes and culture associated with Europe continue to linger and one day they must go and we build our own culture.

One idea is to create a ‘National Brexit Congress’ which people can join and membership is required if people want public sector jobs, such as civil service or teaching.

All Brexiters must be united if they are true Brexiteers.

Genuinely hard to tell if you're a troll or not.
Not true. A lot of them do have passports for holidays in Benidorm, Magaluf etc. It is good that we can show we are British when we arrive in Benidorm by showing our new passport and that we are British from a free independent nation. It might even make the Spanish wish they could leave the EU too. People do look up to Britain and they will want to be like Britain. Brexit could spell the end of the EU as other countries want to feel important like Britain is.

Ah yes, "Look, I come from the 'sovereign' nation that cut of it's arm to gain independence! Not that most of my citizens can even elaborate exactly which freedom they've supposedly gained, but look, it's blue now!".
Original post by Crooky0
Um, no you didn't. Let me take apart your argument for you so you can see how wrong you are.

"The eu is progressing towards an increasingly ever more powerful state ruling over everyone"

What you are talking about is the centralization of power, which is not exclusive to left wing ideologies. Secondly, this has no relevance to Marxism. Marxism is a sociological theory that analyses the social class system created by capitalism. It isn't some global conspiracy. What you are describing isn't even marxism, as there are many many different views on how to adapt marxist policy into politics and the economy. Plus, the EU is backed by many corporate powers, therefore showing that the reality is completely different to your dumb narrative that the EU is some kind of left wing conspiracy. Please go and educate yourself before you try to spout this stuff that has no fact to it. You don't even know what Marxism is. You're brainwashed.

Quite.

Though you're definitely with a poster of the modern right, who's main debating tactic is to shout 'Marxist' at their opponent, regardless of the subject of debate.
Tbh I preferred the colour red, it's just looked so nice
And **** the EU
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I couldn't care less what colour my passport is, but I'm minded to start coming out as a strong supporter of the blue passports just because of how much it appears to trigger elements of the left.

Wow, great, you're so edgy and cool. And what you have gained through this? Absolutely nothing.
Original post by Crooky0
Personally, I don't think we should base the process of leaving the EU on trying to offend people, seeing as Brexit could have very serious implications for many people in this country. Grow up

No, I fully reserve the right to wind you lot up.

So are you seriously saying you wouldn't want a passport that looks like this?

Obviously that 'European Union' bit will have to be removed, but you get the idea. I also propose we make it like one of those musical birthday cards. Everytime you open up the passport it will play a symphony of patriotic British songs, starting with "I Vow to Thee my Country", followed by "Rule Britannia", "Land of Hope & Glory" and finally "God Save the Queen".
Only 60+ should get the blue passport since they want to be patriotic or whatever.
I was fine with the ****ing red
Ffs why couldn’t we just give all the leavers blue passports if that’s what they wanted all along, they just ruined the country for a different color of passport
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mishells
Ffs why couldn’t we just give all the remainers blue passports if that’s what they wanted all along, they just ruined the country for a different color of passport

No it’s us leavers who want blue passports.
The remoaners want to keep their burgandy European Union Dictatorship passports.
Original post by Wōden

Obviously that 'European Union' bit will have to be removed, but you get the idea. I also propose we make it like one of those musical birthday cards. Everytime you open up the passport it will play a symphony of patriotic British songs, starting with "I Vow to Thee my Country", followed by "Rule Britannia", "Land of Hope & Glory" and finally "God Save the Queen".

Now that’s what I call a cool passport. I’d feel much more proud carrying that than the European Union dictatorship passport.

Nice design.
The passport being blue is hardly going to be unique, or identify us as British, over 80 countries have blue passports for Pete's sake.

I can't get excited about it. I already have a blue passport. My American one is blue. (My mum is American, so I'm a dual national).
Who else is pleased at this historic mile stone?

Are you a dullard?

You come across as a dullard.
Original post by Wōden

I don't see the necessity of it, but I couldn't care less. I don't care for the design, I do care however for the future of EU nationals in this country and that many of the freedoms that the EU granted me and would of granted my children are being removed due to a campaign that was based largely on disinformation and fear mongering
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by dsmith23
Are you a dullard?

You come across as a dullard.

Getting back a passport that identifies us as British is a historic milestone in the bigger goal of getting the hell out of the EU, and getting our freedom and dignity back. How is that being dullard?
Hooray we get back our blue passports in 2019. For the first time in my life I can have a passport that says I’m British not European.

Who else is pleased at this historic mile stone?

Couldn’t care less and it’s not a milestone we could have made it any colour we liked before anyway
Given the cost for changing the stupid colour, I can find a lot more worthwhile causes of taxpayers money.

Latest

Trending

Trending