Yorkshire Independence Watch

Yorkist Celt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Independence for Yorkshire/Deira. Yorkshire/Deira is distinct from the rest of the UK. It was an ancient Celtic territory/kingdom known as Deira (from Gaelic Doire 'place of oak trees'). Its first people were a Celtic tribe. This was followed by the Danes who named it Yorkshire. During the Norman Invasion many Bretons were settled in Yorkshire/Deira. The modern Yorkshire man and woman is a mixture of Celt/Breton and Dane and this is borne out by modern DNA testing. The Anglo-Saxons invaded and controlled Deira for a short period before being chased out by the arrival of the Danes. Science shows that the level of Anglo-Saxon DNA in Yorkshire is considerably lower than in southern parts of England. Yorkshire/Deira also has its own distinct dialect, so much so that the famous film Kess had to have English subtitles when shown in cinemas around England. Yorkshire/Deira is indeed historically, linguistically and culturally distinct from the Anglo-Saxons of the south. Independence, a joke right? Perhaps, but as we see 'regions' such as Catalonia, the Basque Country, Andalusia, Bavaria etc heading in that direction, the thought of an independent Yorkshire/Deira will not sound so laughable in a generation or two. Oh....and don't forget that the richest and most efficiently run 'regions' or countries in Europe are all small (Catalonia, Bavaria, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, Belgium etc).
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I feel like bullet points would have helped.
Yorkist Celt
Rep:
?
??
Vindaloovians
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why just Yorkshire? Lancashire, Cumbria, and Northumbria all have a similar, shared history.
Yorkist Celt
Rep:
?
Well, firstly it would be up to those areas to fight for their own independence if they saw fit. Yorkshire was mentioned because there are rumblings about devolution for Yorkshire (The Yorkshire Party for example) and this has made some think of a step further...independence.

Lancashire actually formed part of a kingdom established by the Danes which included Yorkshire/Deira. The southern part was Deira and the northern part was Bernica, both related Celtic tribes. So, perhaps they could form one bigger country. Cumbria too was a Celtic kingdom and still retains much of its ancient Celtic DNA. Lancashire is more mixed.

The entity called England is not working and, given the clear 'north/south' divide which has been evident for centuries, it has probably never worked!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 14 Sep '19
  • University of York
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 15 Sep '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads