The Student Room Group

Correct A levels for dentistry?

Hi im currently studying biology, chemistry, and psychology at AS, and i was hoping to apply for dentistry.

Am i at a disadvantage for not doing an AS, and for doing psychology in stead of something like maths?
Original post by revengeofjdwag
Hi im currently studying biology, chemistry, and psychology at AS, and i was hoping to apply for dentistry.

Am i at a disadvantage for not doing an AS, and for doing psychology in stead of something like maths?

No, u can apply anywhere and it’s not a disadvantage at all
Original post by Anonymousmedic7
No, u can apply anywhere and it’s not a disadvantage at all

would my application be considered less that someone with this ?

It may be slightly limiting because psychology is not considered a facilitating subject. However, it depends where you apply because I know that in Sheffield chemistry, maths, physics, biology and psychology are all considered sciences for medicine (unsure whether this applies to dentistry candidates). So play to your strengths and don't let your options dishearten you. There's no point taking maths if you're going to get a better grade in psychology. You can apply to most universities for dentistry with your options. Remember, there are other ways of showing your competitiveness, e.g. through work experience, GCSE grades and extracurriculars.
Original post by Deliciate
It may be slightly limiting because psychology is not considered a facilitating subject. However, it depends where you apply because I know that in Sheffield chemistry, maths, physics, biology and psychology are all considered sciences for medicine (unsure whether this applies to dentistry candidates). So play to your strengths and don't let your options dishearten you. There's no point taking maths if you're going to get a better grade in psychology. You can apply to most universities for dentistry with your options. Remember, there are other ways of showing your competitiveness, e.g. through work experience, GCSE grades and extracurriculars.

If you check every uni website for dentistry, it’s pretty clear all you need is biology and chemistry and any third subject.

what bout my lack of an AS?

Not at all, a lot of my parents friends interview dental candidates at university, once you have biology and chemistry - it doesn’t matter what your third subject is, as long as your grades are good
If you check every uni website for dentistry, it’s pretty clear all you need is biology and chemistry and any third subject.

Yes that is the requirement but do you honestly think that someone who takes mathematics as a third subject and someone else who takes media studies as a third subject will be equally favoured?
what bout my lack of an AS?

That's fine. :smile:
Yes that is the requirement but do you honestly think that someone who takes mathematics as a third subject and someone else who takes media studies as a third subject will be equally favoured?

Media, general studies, film studies and BTEC are all considered to be of lower standards. But psychology is clearly not of low standards
Media, general studies, film studies and BTEC are all considered to be of lower standards. But psychology is clearly not of low standards

Never claimed psychology is of 'low standards', it's just not a facilitating subject. Universities regard facilitating subjects more than non-facilitating subjects and for highly competitive courses like medicine and dentistry it's important that ideally all of your subjects are facilitating. I'm not claiming that OP is at a disadvantage because they can still be accepted over someone who took maths as a third subject if a. they get better grades or b. their interview/UKCAT(or BMAT)/work experience/GCSE grades/ personal statement are better.

"data shows that 99% of students accepted on a clinical medicine course had a chemistry A-level, 95% had a biology A-level, 71% had an A-level in maths and 33% physics."
Never claimed psychology is of 'low standards', it's just not a facilitating subject. Universities regard facilitating subjects more than non-facilitating subjects and for highly competitive courses like medicine and dentistry it's important that ideally all of your subjects are facilitating. I'm not claiming that OP is at a disadvantage because they can still be accepted over someone who took maths as a third subject if a. they get better grades or b. their interview/UKCAT(or BMAT)/work experience/GCSE grades/ personal statement are better.

"data shows that 99% of students accepted on a clinical medicine course had a chemistry A-level, 95% had a biology A-level, 71% had an A-level in maths and 33% physics."

I don’t study maths as my third subject, I took geography instead and I’ve applied to medicine and it’s been at no disadvantage to a friend who takes maths. I think maths is just a common subject in general and people who are academic enough to take chemistry like to take maths aswell
I don’t study maths as my third subject, I took geography instead and I’ve applied to medicine and it’s been at no disadvantage to a friend who takes maths. I think maths is just a common subject in general and people who are academic enough to take chemistry like to take maths aswell

Geography is a facilitating subject though.

Quick Reply

Latest