The Student Room Group

Applications

Dear all,

I'm thinking of applying to Law or Physics with Astrophysics, can anyone please give me advice on which to choose and some information about either.

Thanks,

Nadia1221
Original post by Nadia1221
Dear all,

I'm thinking of applying to Law or Physics with Astrophysics, can anyone please give me advice on which to choose and some information about either.

Thanks,

Nadia1221

what career do you want to go into?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
what career do you want to go into?

A successful one
A successful one

I think that's everyone's dream! I would recommend you narrow it down a little--what's the drive for you to study physics? Why do you want to study law? What do you enjoy about each subject? What kind of lifestyle do you want? What kind of career?

I spoke a little about how to choose a degree in this thread.
Reply 4
Dear all,

Thanks,

Nadia1221

I would say physics, it can open many doors, and also you don't need law to study law you could just do a conversion if that's what you want to go into. Since Physics is really numerically based you will be attractive to industries that involve money
Dear all
I'm thinking of my career as to be a professional doctor in abroad but ma parents are forcing me to be a lawyer.
What should I do I need advice
Thank you
Reply 6
Original post by Michelle Bieger
I think that's everyone's dream! I would recommend you narrow it down a little--what's the drive for you to study physics? Why do you want to study law? What do you enjoy about each subject? What kind of lifestyle do you want? What kind of career?

I spoke a little about how to choose a degree in this thread.

Physics-Doctor Who, solving problems about the universe and in general using mechanics and astrophysics.

Law-Sense of justice, helping and talking to people.

I would like a regular lifestyle, where I am secure. I would like a comfortable lifestyle and a clear career path.
Hi
I would say the best thing would be to try and get some work experience to see which area/field suits you? Perhaps try and email a few law firms to let you on for a couple of days or contact someone working in the field of physics etc.

Having applied for law, I really enjoyed going to the lecture talks as well at university but obviously not everyone does (i know someone who was very set on law who went to a lecture and didn't like it) so see if you can go to any taster ones to see if you're interested. The same goes for physics. Often we may think we like a course but it can only be confirmed if we can imagine ourselves doing it every single day in the future.

Good luck & God bless :smile:
Reply 8
I don't have any more time for work experience, the deadline is in two-three weeks. Thank you for that advice anyway. Have a Happy New Year! :smile:
Oh, I'm so sorry... I thought that you were first year a levels!! Try and see if you know anyone doing those subjects as a degree and ask them to give you an overall view of how they're like! Since you said you wanted t have a successful job after your degree look at the graduate prospectus of universities and what jobs their graduates are doing now. For example, in the University of Leicester prospetus, they have usually have examples of what jobs their graduates are doing though do bare in mind some may be biased (not everyone gets fantastic jobs). At the end of the day, think to yourself if you would rather do physics or law for a job five days a week OR MORE. Aww thanks and you! :biggrin:
Original post by ayimgabriel
Dear all
I'm thinking of my career as to be a professional doctor in abroad but ma parents are forcing me to be a lawyer.
What should I do I need advice
Thank you

My family were kinda the opposite haha! You need to respectfully tell them that it is YOU who will be doing the degree, it is YU who will be working in the legal sector and not them, it is YOU who will be living that life.

Have a look at this if you ever have time, it gives details about why forcing a career path could be detrimental: http://thechronicleofeducation.com/2015/11/12/parents-stop-forcing-career-path-on-children-for-blissful-future/
(edited 6 years ago)
Physics-Doctor Who, solving problems about the universe and in general using mechanics and astrophysics.

I would like a regular lifestyle, where I am secure. I would like a comfortable lifestyle and a clear career path.

Heya, I would echo everything @Theworriedbanana said in this thread--very wise words :wink:

I study physics myself so I can provide you a little insight into "a day in the life of"--though I'll also link to an interview of someone who is an academic astrophysics researcher. So to give you a bit of a breakdown in what you answered you like about physics--if by Doctor Who, you mean all the fantastic and exciting ideas like time travel, space-timey nonsense, you're looking at representations of theoretical physics. Now, studying theoretical physics is a lot different than appreciating it from afar--a lot of popular science is theoretical physics because quantum mechanics and special relatively really captures the imagination! However, in reality--if you do a whole degree of it--be prepared to do a LOT. of maths. Difficult maths. I don't say that to deter, but to give you a sense of what it's really like. Regardless of what kind of physics you do, you'll be taking modules of theoretical physics--which will be a lot less intensive than an entire degree's worth. If you do theoretical physics as a straight degree though, be prepared for lots of maths. If you like using mechanics--you might be more interested in applying your knowledge, and so it might be worth going for an engineering or robotics degree, if the robots in Doctor Who really struck your fancy!

Regardless of which physics degree you take (theoretical or not, applied or not), you have a LOT of pathways open to you because you will be gaining a lot of transferable skills in your degree: coding (this is a must) and the ability to do a lot of higher-level maths will be your two most honed and used skills in your degree. If you choose to be a researcher, you really should dive head-first into academia ASAP, because it's a tough field that isn't for everyone. Do summer placements--especially if you choose a straight theoretical physics degree, because the academic world of theoretical physics is ruthlessly competitive right now (there is more supply than demand). Search out astrophysicists, physicists in general on Twitter to see what they're talking about, the struggles and joys in academia (there's a big community on there and it's an excellent way to network! Just be sure you have a professional profile). You can still study physics and then go into robotics and engineering--I have seen many people do this--however, if you do this taking summer placements is not optional. There will be too many straight-engineers with specializations already competing for the same places to not do a summer placement.

As for choosing which of those things are right for you--Twitter, like I said, is an excellent resource. Another thing you could do: search for summer placements now, and read the job descriptions--does that sound like something fun that you want to be doing in the summer? As a career? Look up courses for engineering, for robotics, for physics from any University and then check out the module overview--do the modules really excite you?

Law I can't speak as much about--only to say that, as far as I know, there is a lot of memorization, a lot of rhetoric, and an enormous amount of reading involved. But the things you pointed out that you love about law, can also potentially be combined with physics if that's something you want to pursue. You could become a physics teacher (loads of bursary money involved in this), helping out students. You could become a policy maker for space-technology, or a space lawyer (yes, this exists!). The latter two are likely to be super competitive and rare, but are an illustration that you can take your physics degree loads of places--it's just about being imaginative enough to carve out that career on your own intiative, and grabbing enough experience to enable you to do this.

Good luck, apologies for how long this is, and if you have any more questions please let me know!

Your career interests are a bit too general really, do you want to end up working in law/physics or are you just looking at doing a degree in either of them?

You should do some reading of what a physics degree is like, imo it is nothing like A-level physics. You need to really like maths or at least be able to tolerate it (and do well in alevel maths) as you will be doing a lot of maths in a physics degree

Also try look at some first year physics books if you can, dont worry understanding it just make sure you feel like it is something that will appeal to you as the majority of your degree wont involve astrophysics (and also a lot of people I know who were looking forward to X topic actually dislike it when it came to doing it properly, there is a massive difference between reading pop sci books on a topic and actually doing the nitty gritty of the subject). Also you wont cover any high level (stuff you read about) astrophysics until either your final year or during a post grad taught masters/phd with optional lectures

Career bits

It is super hard to get into physics jobs (research), ~0-2 people out of a persons cohort will actually get a full time position in physics research (though that number is higher for top 5 unis for physics like oxbridge, ICL etc)and it is a very long road to a permanent job

Most people who study physics go into

- Finance
- software development (if you teach yourself how to code, you will learn a some in a physics degree but not enough unless you take on a computational project)
- teaching
- Retrain by doing a masters in a different area
- Other general grad schemes
- mech/aero engineering (very hard to get into though with a physics degree, if you want to be an engineer do engineering)
- research (at unis, national labs etc)
- a few other bits and bobs (including law) but the first 4 are the main ones from my experience

You can get into law with any degree if you do a conversion course

A law degree leads to finance, law, general grad schemes, software dev (if you teach yourself to code), teaching etc

Physics and law are both academic degrees really (dont lead to a specific job) so have similar job options
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Theworriedbanana
Oh, I'm so sorry... I thought that you were first year a levels!! Try and see if you know anyone doing those subjects as a degree and ask them to give you an overall view of how they're like! Since you said you wanted t have a successful job after your degree look at the graduate prospectus of universities and what jobs their graduates are doing now. For example, in the University of Leicester prospetus, they have usually have examples of what jobs their graduates are doing though do bare in mind some may be biased (not everyone gets fantastic jobs). At the end of the day, think to yourself if you would rather do physics or law for a job five days a week OR MORE. Aww thanks and you! :biggrin:

I'm doing a lot of physics and maths ATM, but I haven't taken a social science subject in two years bar English. It's just that my co-curriculars are that way. Thank you for the help. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by madmadmax321
Your career interests are a bit too general really, do you want to end up working in law/physics or are you just looking at doing a degree in either of them?

You should do some reading of what a physics degree is like, imo it is nothing like A-level physics. You need to really like maths or at least be able to tolerate it (and do well in alevel maths) as you will be doing a lot of maths in a physics degree

Also try look at some first year physics books if you can, dont worry understanding it just make sure you feel like it is something that will appeal to you as the majority of your degree wont involve astrophysics (and also a lot of people I know who were looking forward to X topic actually dislike it when it came to doing it properly, there is a massive difference between reading pop sci books on a topic and actually doing the nitty gritty of the subject). Also you wont cover any high level (stuff you read about) astrophysics until either your final year or during a post grad taught masters/phd with optional lectures

Career bits

It is super hard to get into physics jobs (research), ~0-2 people out of a persons cohort will actually get a full time position in physics research (though that number is higher for top 5 unis for physics like oxbridge, ICL etc)and it is a very long road to a permanent job

Most people who study physics go into

- Finance
- software development (if you teach yourself how to code, you will learn a some in a physics degree but not enough unless you take on a computational project)
- teaching
- Retrain by doing a masters in a different area
- Other general grad schemes
- mech/aero engineering (very hard to get into though with a physics degree, if you want to be an engineer do engineering)
- research (at unis, national labs etc)
- a few other bits and bobs (including law) but the first 4 are the main ones from my experience

You can get into law with any degree if you do a conversion course

A law degree leads to finance, law, general grad schemes, software dev (if you teach yourself to code), teaching etc

Physics and law are both academic degrees really (dont lead to a specific job) so have similar job options

I am not naturally talented in maths and am struggling to understand it atm. I haven't taken a social science subject for nearly two years bar English. I know that I am at least average at retaining information if I really want to. No job sounds interesting to me as I cannot see that far into the future. All I know is I love people and if I know my facts I can really do anything with it. This is my problem, I don't know what I enjoy because I'm so impulsive with my abilities and skills. I know that I struggle with mathematical and electromagnetism concepts. I am unaware of I will become bored of law concepts. But I know I will become bored if I cannot put my people skills into use.
Reply 15
Original post by Michelle Bieger
Heya, I would echo everything @Theworriedbanana said in this thread--very wise words :wink:

I study physics myself so I can provide you a little insight into "a day in the life of"--though I'll also link to an interview of someone who is an academic astrophysics researcher. So to give you a bit of a breakdown in what you answered you like about physics--if by Doctor Who, you mean all the fantastic and exciting ideas like time travel, space-timey nonsense, you're looking at representations of theoretical physics. Now, studying theoretical physics is a lot different than appreciating it from afar--a lot of popular science is theoretical physics because quantum mechanics and special relatively really captures the imagination! However, in reality--if you do a whole degree of it--be prepared to do a LOT. of maths. Difficult maths. I don't say that to deter, but to give you a sense of what it's really like. Regardless of what kind of physics you do, you'll be taking modules of theoretical physics--which will be a lot less intensive than an entire degree's worth. If you do theoretical physics as a straight degree though, be prepared for lots of maths. If you like using mechanics--you might be more interested in applying your knowledge, and so it might be worth going for an engineering or robotics degree, if the robots in Doctor Who really struck your fancy!

Regardless of which physics degree you take (theoretical or not, applied or not), you have a LOT of pathways open to you because you will be gaining a lot of transferable skills in your degree: coding (this is a must) and the ability to do a lot of higher-level maths will be your two most honed and used skills in your degree. If you choose to be a researcher, you really should dive head-first into academia ASAP, because it's a tough field that isn't for everyone. Do summer placements--especially if you choose a straight theoretical physics degree, because the academic world of theoretical physics is ruthlessly competitive right now (there is more supply than demand). Search out astrophysicists, physicists in general on Twitter to see what they're talking about, the struggles and joys in academia (there's a big community on there and it's an excellent way to network! Just be sure you have a professional profile). You can still study physics and then go into robotics and engineering--I have seen many people do this--however, if you do this taking summer placements is not optional. There will be too many straight-engineers with specializations already competing for the same places to not do a summer placement.

As for choosing which of those things are right for you--Twitter, like I said, is an excellent resource. Another thing you could do: search for summer placements now, and read the job descriptions--does that sound like something fun that you want to be doing in the summer? As a career? Look up courses for engineering, for robotics, for physics from any University and then check out the module overview--do the modules really excite you?

Law I can't speak as much about--only to say that, as far as I know, there is a lot of memorization, a lot of rhetoric, and an enormous amount of reading involved. But the things you pointed out that you love about law, can also potentially be combined with physics if that's something you want to pursue. You could become a physics teacher (loads of bursary money involved in this), helping out students. You could become a policy maker for space-technology, or a space lawyer (yes, this exists!). The latter two are likely to be super competitive and rare, but are an illustration that you can take your physics degree loads of places--it's just about being imaginative enough to carve out that career on your own intiative, and grabbing enough experience to enable you to do this.

Good luck, apologies for how long this is, and if you have any more questions please let me know!

I am not naturally talented in maths and am struggling to understand it atm. I haven't taken a social science subject for nearly two years bar English. I know that I am at least average at retaining information if I really want to. No job sounds interesting to me as I cannot see that far into the future. All I know is I love people and if I know my facts I can really do anything with it. This is my problem, I don't know what I enjoy because I'm so impulsive with my abilities and skills. I know that I struggle with mathematical and electromagnetism concepts. I am unaware of I will become bored of law concepts. But I know I will become bored if I cannot put my people skills into use.

I don't want to go into engineering because it's too practical, I was thinking of architectural engineering but I did not take art or design and manufacture which is a requirement.

People I've spoken to say physics is better than law but I feel too dumb to go into either.

talent doesn't really have much to do with it (it helps you get concepts quicker but that's it really from my observations of uni physics), if you can do alevel maths then there is no reason why you can't do the maths in a straight physics degree (as long as you work at it a lot). as for electromag I sucked at electromag until doing Maxwell's equations properly (this is the correct way to learn electromagnetism anyway, the other bits are either missing bits out or just limiting cases)

so you want to work with people? why don't you look at careers where you do that and see if you like the sound of those jobs

honestly I don't really see the point in going to uni unless you have a loose idea of the job sector(s) you would like to work in as if you do go to uni and then find out you want to do something but you actually need a different degree than you're stuffed (unless you are in first year when you find out)
Reply 17
Original post by madmadmax321
talent doesn't really have much to do with it (it helps you get concepts quicker but that's it really from my observations of uni physics), if you can do alevel maths then there is no reason why you can't do the maths in a straight physics degree (as long as you work at it a lot). as for electromag I sucked at electromag until doing Maxwell's equations properly (this is the correct way to learn electromagnetism anyway, the other bits are either missing bits out or just limiting cases)

so you want to work with people? why don't you look at careers where you do that and see if you like the sound of those jobs

honestly I don't really see the point in going to uni unless you have a loose idea of the job sector(s) you would like to work in as if you do go to uni and then find out you want to do something but you actually need a different degree than you're stuffed (unless you are in first year when you find out)

That's what I was thinking and is rather revise now than go through an entire first year of uni before transferring.

I've done all the quizzes and I don't like the jobs because I don't like any job, I just lack interest generally. Maybe I'll go with physics and if I don't enjoy it then there's no harm changing.
I'm doing a lot of physics and maths ATM, but I haven't taken a social science subject in two years bar English. It's just that my co-curriculars are that way. Thank you for the help. :smile:

Perhaps have a little research into the law degree from someone who does law? You are very welcome! Good luck
Reply 19
Original post by Theworriedbanana
Perhaps have a little research into the law degree from someone who does law? You are very welcome! Good luck

Thank you for your time and help. :-)

Quick Reply

Latest