notanerd1001
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
In a bit of a dilemma for which A-level subjects to choose this coming year. French has always been my strongest subject, and I enjoy it at GCSE level but i fear that the literature may be a bit boring at A-level. Can anyone give me a good insight to what it is really like? thanks
HeartBlink
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What part of GCSE french fo you hate the most/not like?
Desideri
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did A-level French (and German).

Whether the literature side is interesting or not depends a lot on the teacher imo. One of my teachers didn't even read the book she was supposed to be teaching us, and then docked everyone marks in the mock because what we wrote didn't agree with an online study guide she'd found people complained to the head of department (who had actually read the book) and he was basically like "yep, you're all right but I'm not supposed to micromanage her marking".

That teacher then left later in the year and we got a different teacher who had done a master's in French literature and suddenly I loved literature. She really made us think and taught us so much without spoonfeeding.

I did the old specification, which included lots of "controversial topics" (abortion, death penalty, nuclear power, basically anything you can think of) and debating, which I loved. I don't know what the new spec is like though.

I think I learnt more French in two years of a level than I had in the whole of ks3-4. I'm not fluent but I can read books and newspapers, listen to podcasts, and talk about loads of things - I even managed to give a statement to the French police entirely in French
notanerd1001
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
At GCSE there is not real literature, so that’s what i fear i will dislike because it is unknown and i hate english literature. My strongest part of french right now would be my spoken and written french. My least favourite part is probably listening, i find that hardest.
storm95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I never did literature at French a level I actually quite enjoyed it. It was very easy
Elisamary30
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hii I’m in yr 12 and do A level French and Spanish and most of my lessons so far are basically English literature in another language so if you really don’t like English lit I suggest you don’t take French. For Aqa you would have to write 2 50 mark essays which have to be perfectly structured include quotes from the book/movie and have relevant social/historical context all in addition to having correct grammatical French to get the higher marks. Nevertheless French is still one of my favourite subjects even if it’s difficult.
wallflower ~
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The literature is okay. I love literature (doing english lit) but the teachers didn't choose the best book. However I find it okay and we are studying a film and other things alongside it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.16%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.09%
Financial worries (60)
6.72%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise