Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi

This is probably a really simple question, but I just wanted to check I'm doing this right.

The question gives:
P(A)= 0.5, P(AuB)= 0.6 and P(AnB)=0.2

Part a asks to find P(B), which I got using
P(A) + P(B) - P(AnB) = P(AuB), to give P(B)= 0.3 (which is the correct answer)

Part b is to find P(A'nB). I have got 0.1 for this (which is the right answer, but I'm not convinced my working is right). Can someone please confirm whether I've done the right thing?
P(A'nB) is when it's not A, but it is B, so (since there are occasions where you can get A and B, and also when it's neither), I have done:
P(A'nB)= P(B) - P(AnB)
= 0.3-0.2
= 0.1

This gives the right answer, but can someone just check whether my logic is right (and confirm it's not just a lucky mistake!)?

Thanks
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
Hi

This is probably a really simple question, but I just wanted to check I'm doing this right.

The question gives:
P(A)= 0.5, P(AuB)= 0.6 and P(AnB)=0.2

Part a asks to find P(B), which I got using
P(A) + P(B) - P(AnB) = P(AuB), to give P(B)= 0.3 (which is the correct answer)

Part b is to find P(A'nB). I have got 0.1 for this (which is the right answer, but I'm not convinced my working is right). Can someone please confirm whether I've done the right thing?
P(A'nB) is when it's not A, but it is B, so (since there are occasions where you can get A and B, and also when it's neither), I have done:
P(A'nB)= P(B) - P(AnB)
= 0.3-0.2
= 0.1

This gives the right answer, but can someone just check whether my logic is right (and confirm it's not just a lucky mistake!)?

Thanks
Your working is fine.

Try sketching the relevant areas on a Venn diagram.
Labrador99
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Your working is fine.

Try sketching the relevant areas on a Venn diagram.
Thank you

That's really helpful advice - makes it much easier!
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Didn't want to make a new thread on the same topic, but can anyone help me with this question on conditional probability? I don't have any attempt to show, because I'm not really sure where to start with it.

When Alan and Elizabeth play chess the probability that Alan will win the first game is p. If he wins the first game then his chances of winning the next game are doubled. However, if Elizabeth wins the first game then she has the probability p of winning the next game. Find p, given that the probability that Alan wins one and loses one of the first two games is five ninths.

Any help much appreciated
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
Didn't want to make a new thread on the same topic, but can anyone help me with this question on conditional probability? I don't have any attempt to show, because I'm not really sure where to start with it.

When Alan and Elizabeth play chess the probability that Alan will win the first game is p. If he wins the first game then his chances of winning the next game are doubled. However, if Elizabeth wins the first game then she has the probability p of winning the next game. Find p, given that the probability that Alan wins one and loses one of the first two games is five ninths.

Any help much appreciated
A probability tree would be one way to start.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads