The Student Room Group

DRAMA / THEATRE / SINGING EXPERTS — advice on dehydration?

So in a few weeks time I will be performing in my school production as one of the lead characters and I will be singing and doing some dancing (very basic secondary school production-standard dancing, believe me lol). Anyway, I was in my school production last year as well and noticed that during the show every time I went off stage after a scene I would be EXTREMELY thirsty? Like, completely parched and my throat would be very dry and I kept having to drink lots and lots of water because I just felt awful. I did singing during my production last year as well and by the end of the show (we did three consecutive nights) I very nearly lost my voice while I was singing onstage. Now, obviously, you can tell I’m not a professional because I know that normally professional actors or people in the theatre profession/ training to be in theatre have methods through which they can cope with this kind of problem. I do theatre acting as a fun hobby so I know very little in the way of technique and such, so does anyone have an explanation for my problem and how I can prevent it this time around? I will only be doing two nights this year as I’m sharing my role with somebody else, so hopefully I will be able to sustain my voice for longer. Thanks! :smile:
I'm not an expert on this at all but I'm classically trained in singing and my teachers have always told me to make sure you're drinking a lot of water for the day before and during the day of the performance consistently. Drinking hot water with honey (and a little lemon for taste if you'd like) helps to coat your throat slightly without altering the sound to keep in the moisture. If you really want to go all out then a humidifier in your room at night works wonders. And not related to staying hydrated but also important for singing is avoid dairy on the day of your performance because it can coat your throat in a way that obstructs the sound in a really uncomfortable way.
I hope that's helpful? Good luck with your performances and of course remember to warm up properly!
Reply 2
Ahhh thank you so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending