Switching A Levels after one term: ADVICE NEEDED Watch

no2573571
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thinking of switching my A Level in German to English Literature.

Has anyone else switched A Levels this late?
What's your advice?
Any experience with English Lit/catching up with it if you joined the course later?

Decision needs to be made soon.
Thanks so much
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
eggyeol
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What's made you change your mind?
no2573571
Rep:
?
(Original post by eggyeol)
What's made you change your mind?
Hi. Thanks for your post. I'm being vague on the details because I don't want to give away my situation online. Do you have any advice on what it is like making the switch?
amaraub
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you even allowed to switch this late? You'll have a lot to catch up on, so I imagine it will be very stressful.
no2573571
Rep:
?
(Original post by amaraub)
Are you even allowed to switch this late? You'll have a lot to catch up on, so I imagine it will be very stressful.
Hello! Yes, I know and that's the one thing which is worrying me, but I have to decide now rather than later because then it will be even more stressful (if not impossible). We're going to ask my college if the change is possible. Any advice on handling the switch or do you know anything about Eng Lit? Thanks so much.
chloecrazy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I switched to English Literature a term late (I’m year 13 now), and I’ve caught up fine. I didn’t find the transition hard at all, I just made sure I read the book/play (The Kite Runner and Othello) that they were already doing!
no2573571
Rep:
?
(Original post by chloecrazy)
I switched to English Literature a term late (I’m year 13 now), and I’ve caught up fine. I didn’t find the transition hard at all, I just made sure I read the book/play (The Kite Runner and Othello) that they were already doing!
Hi, thanks so much for your post! That's really comforting. Have a nice day
wastedcuriosity
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I recently switched from French to RS and I have A LOT catch up work over Christmas, but if you're prepared to work hard, you should be fine. Also, you must do it now, or it'll be too late. Best of luck
prophetkid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I switched from AS Maths to AS Chemistry after 1-2 months - not quite the same comparison but it involved a lot of work to catch up!

Ideally it would be useful to speak to someone from the English class you'd be joining to see just exactly what you've missed, as some colleges will go at different paces. As long as you're allowed to switch, and you're willing to put in the extra work ASAP to catch up, it's definitely doable.
maysaah
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, i am thinking of changing from psychology to history and i was wondering how you convinced your head of sixth form because i asked before the christmas holidays and he said no. However i do not want to give up because i despise psychology and have almost caught up on the history content.
chloecrazy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by maysaah)
Hey, i am thinking of changing from psychology to history and i was wondering how you convinced your head of sixth form because i asked before the christmas holidays and he said no. However i do not want to give up because i despise psychology and have almost caught up on the history content.
Well, I’m quite close with my head of sixth form, and he is the English teacher. I was going to do business instead, but he was the one who suggested English, so I don’t know how much help I will be in your situation.
I basically said that maths was bring me down, and was causing me a lot of stress. I then threated to leave sixth form (as I said before, I have a good relationship with my head of sixth, so that might not work for anyone)
For you, it’s definitely worth mentioning that you’ve done a lot of work, and perhaps that you want to go into a career or degree that might require history. (Only if that’s true though!) really over exaggerate how much you dislike psychology. Also, psychology and history are quite similar in the style of learning, in that it’s mostly memory based, which you could bring up. Take in any evidence of work you’ve done.
Have you spoken to the history teacher? If not, it’s definitely worth doing that, and maybe looking at some past exam questions and seeing if you can attempt any!

Good luck though, I do psychology, and it’s although I enjoy it, it’s not what it’s hyped up to be
okurr123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
I recently switched from French to RS and I have A LOT catch up work over Christmas, but if you're prepared to work hard, you should be fine. Also, you must do it now, or it'll be too late. Best of luck
What made you switch French?? I’m finding it quite easy compared to my other subjects
okurr123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry but you will have a lot to catch up on. Why don’t you like Psychology and why did you pick it on the first place? If your head of sixth form has already said no then it means you can’t do anything about it. The reason why they say no is that they don’t think you’ll do as well as they expect you do to due to the large amount of work you’ve missed.
maysaah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, i picked it because during induction day the psychology teacher made it quite interesting. But when it came to actually learning it i did not like it however i stuck through it because i thought it would be like biology where they start off with the boring stuff. And what the history class is learning so far is pretty much what we did for GCSE ( got an A*) just in more detail which i pretty much almost finished. So yeah i think i can do it.
maysaah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, I’m quite close with my head of sixth form, and he is the English teacher. I was going to do business instead, but he was the one who suggested English, so I don’t know how much help I will be in your situation.
I basically said that maths was bring me down, and was causing me a lot of stress. I then threated to leave sixth form (as I said before, I have a good relationship with my head of sixth, so that might not work for anyone)
For you, it’s definitely worth mentioning that you’ve done a lot of work, and perhaps that you want to go into a career or degree that might require history. (Only if that’s true though!) really over exaggerate how much you dislike psychology. Also, psychology and history are quite similar in the style of learning, in that it’s mostly memory based, which you could bring up. Take in any evidence of work you’ve done.
Have you spoken to the history teacher? If not, it’s definitely worth doing that, and maybe looking at some past exam questions and seeing if you can attempt any!

Good luck though, I do psychology, and it’s although I enjoy it, it’s not what it’s hyped up to be
Thanks for the reply, yeah its going to be hard to conivnce my head of soxth form as he a geography teacher. My history teachers are fine with me switching from psychology to history because i got an A* at GCSE but they have no say😭 And i showed him my work but he didnt even bother looking at it.
chloecrazy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the reply, yeah its going to be hard to conivnce my head of soxth form as he a geography teacher. My history teachers are fine with me switching from psychology to history because i got an A* at GCSE but they have no say😭 And i showed him my work but he didnt even bother looking at it.
Oh that’s really annoying. I’d try once more, and see what you can do, perhaps ask the history teachers to email saying they’re more than happy for you to join!If not, Psychology does get somewhat better, and perhaps it would be worthwhile doing an EPQ or something in history if that’s where your passion lies, and you’re not allowed to swap.What are your other A levels?
wastedcuriosity
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by okurr123)
What made you switch French?? I’m finding it quite easy compared to my other subjects
I just wasn't enjoying it really,, I've done it all my life so I think it was just getting pretty boring. Still love the language
okurr123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just wasn't enjoying it really,, I've done it all my life so I think it was just getting pretty boring. Still love the language
Ahh I see, fair enough. Which exam board did you do? AQA?
maysaah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh that’s really annoying. I’d try once more, and see what you can do, perhaps ask the history teachers to email saying they’re more than happy for you to join!If not, Psychology does get somewhat better, and perhaps it would be worthwhile doing an EPQ or something in history if that’s where your passion lies, and you’re not allowed to swap.What are your other A levels?
i have sent him another email, but i doubt he will reply to it. If i do not get to change i'll just have to endure 2 years. My other alevels are biology and chemistry( my favourite) and EPQ which everyone at my school has to do.
maysaah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
when did you swtich?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads